Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Airbag of Exploding Death

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/16, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You are not going to get any more information for Ford because Ford doesn't have any information on it, a adequate replacement part has not been designed yet and even when it is, it will take years to produce enough for the millions of cars affected and to get then all replaced.

Sure it looks and is scary but honestly the percentage of having a defective airbag on these newer cars is so ridiculously small (someone one another thread on this forum did the math, i just cant remember the exact numbers) that I'll take my chances with leaving the airbag hooked up.
Old 2/4/16, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarpi
Like I posted before, on 3/25/15 per the recall, I had my airbag replaced in my 05 GT. Then in July of 2015 I got the letter from Ford stating that the airbag needs to be replaced and that they will send me another letter when parts are available. As of today 2/3/16 I have not received the letter that parts are available so after seeing the story about the airbags exploding in a Ford truck, I called my dealer and they told me that the parts are not available and to wait for the second letter from Ford. Still worrying about the safety of driving my Mustang, I went on the Ford owners site and contacted them via email and am now waiting for their reply. If I don't get a response in a few days I will call Ford customer service to try and find out more. Reading about the latest issue and seeing the video on line with I think a Ford Ranger truck where the guy got killed and the woman in her Honda who was almost blinded has kind of freaked me out. I saw that video today and now I wonder if it is safe to drive the car. And what about my new 2015 Explorer that I got last July??

Anybody got any more info??
Update - I just got an email from Ford in response to the email I sent them yesterday. They stated that Ford is working with other suppliers to develop additional replacement service inflators as quickly as possible to repair all vehicles involved in this recall. And Ford stated also to "Please wait for the 2nd notice that will be sent to you via first class mail informing that parts are already available".
So I guess I wait and enjoy my car. Can't really do much else.
Old 2/4/16, 01:56 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Its sad really.

"Yeah our airbags could kill you, but probably not...we think.. There is no replacement parts for you car... we have no idea when we will get them... so don't crash or you could die...even if you barely wrinkle the hood....

Since most of the air bags were sold in mid 2k's.. anyone with a model year from '10 on will have the longest wait.. so just don't crash and you will be ok...but if you truly are concerned about your safety and want to get rid of a car that wont get fixed before it is considered a classic (ha! a classic with a deadly catch) and want to trade it in? Well, that is an automatic 3k dollars loss on your trade right off the bat... besides its your fault for not thoroughly testing every part yourself before buying..."

I love my '14 and am not thinking about getting rid of it even though it has this issue...I did have a buddy of mine trade his in a few months ago and he got reamed in the deal because of the air bag. My local dealer told me it was an automatic 3k dollars hit on the cars value if it was traded in....

he also told me that the air bad manufacture was replacing older models first because there was more of them out there since our 'stangs ('10+ I believe) are one of the last cars to have them installed, we would have the longest wait.
Old 2/4/16, 02:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
My car was built in November of 2004 and I purchased it in December of 2004. I got the first recall letter in June 2015 and I am still waiting for the second letter telling me they have the parts in stock.
Old 2/5/16, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserred38
I was considering trading my car, unrelated to the airbag, and one dealer wouldn't take it on trade, and the other low balled me at $21k because they can't sell a car that has a pending recall. So keep that in mind too. One Ford dealer I went to said they're specifically allowed to sell them, only after the potential customer signs a waiver of liability.
Traded mine in at a Chevy dealer in December with 0 issues. I'm pretty sure they sold it in a week or two. I highly doubt they replaced the airbag as it was sitting on the lot 2 days after I traded it in.
Old 2/5/16, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks David
Will do this tomorrow and start driving again.
Greg
Old 2/5/16, 07:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I realize this problem is no laughing matter, but before you do something crazy consider the following.
First you have to consider the odds that you will be in an accident in your Mustang.
Then you have to consider the odds that the nature of that accident will result in your air bag deploying.
Finally you have to consider the odds that if your air bag does deploy it will produce shrapnel instead of functioning normally.
When you look at it that way you are probably safer driving your Mustang than crossing the street. I just keep driving mine and will take it in if and when there are finally parts available.
Old 2/5/16, 08:57 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
I realize this problem is no laughing matter, but before you do something crazy consider the following.
First you have to consider the odds that you will be in an accident in your Mustang.
Then you have to consider the odds that the nature of that accident will result in your air bag deploying.
Finally you have to consider the odds that if your air bag does deploy it will produce shrapnel instead of functioning normally.
When you look at it that way you are probably safer driving your Mustang than crossing the street. I just keep driving mine and will take it in if and when there are finally parts available.
The odds are really low but I still don't like the idea. They also stated that corrosion from high humidity areas causes the biggest issue. I'll have to look but they posted a tiered list of repair order by highest risk and my 09 was close to the bottom. The problem is age with these things the case becomes weak with corrosion and can't contain the charge. So if your car is newer and you live in a low humidity area your odds are significantly less than the others. The ranger involved was 10years old and in a high humidity environment. The odds really are low.
Old 2/5/16, 09:13 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Well my 07 is coming up on 9 years old and if you had gills you'd probably breath the air around here better.
Old 2/5/16, 11:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
My son found a 2014 GHIG V6 premium with all options and very low mileage. The dealer did not want to sell the car to us because of the air bag recall. I had to sign a document that I would not hold them harm for buying this car. SO I got to thinking that these cars are now on the Do not take in on trade list. I have a 2014 GT as well and Now I am afraid I will not get what the car is worth if I want to trade.

Both of our cars have been waiting for several months for airbags and the Ford dealer keeps telling me to check back next month.

Looks like I will have to find out who makes the air bags in my next vehicle before purchasing it.
Old 2/6/16, 05:18 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Somebody needs to break it off in ford's *** over this. You tell me I can't trade my ford car in because their part supplier screwed me. I'm gonna be a whole lot of pissed and get a lawyer.
Old 2/6/16, 03:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Somebody needs to break it off in ford's *** over this. You tell me I can't trade my ford car in because their part supplier screwed me. I'm gonna be a whole lot of pissed and get a lawyer.
The only reason my son could trade his 2006 Mustang in was we had the air bags replaced already. What the Dealer did not know is that they are going to recall the new ones as well.

This is really terrible.

I am looking for a new full size SUV or Truck. I can tell you it will not be a Ford...
Old 2/6/16, 03:36 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
I traded my 500 for a new Jeep in June and had 0 issues, nothing was mentioned about it, they put it on their showroom floor and sold it 3 weeks later.
Old 2/8/16, 07:39 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like it may only be ford that doesn't want to take the cars in on trade. Other manufactures may not care because they wont get sued if the bags malfunction.

I really don't see what fords problem is though... either it malfunctions with the 1st owner or the 2nd +.. either way they will end up with a lawsuit....I dunno, perhaps they can claim ignorance with all the 1st owners? If that is the case it just proves they care more about CYA then our safety.
Old 2/8/16, 07:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
Looks like it may only be ford that doesn't want to take the cars in on trade. Other manufactures may not care because they wont get sued if the bags malfunction.

I really don't see what fords problem is though... either it malfunctions with the 1st owner or the 2nd +.. either way they will end up with a lawsuit....I dunno, perhaps they can claim ignorance with all the 1st owners? If that is the case it just proves they care more about CYA then our safety.
First dealer was a Honda dealer - they had a very low mile V8 4x4 Limited Explorer Sport Trac that I was looking at - flat out refused my car.

Second dealer was Carmax - they offered me $21k because of the airbag and said their company policy is that they can't sell a car with a pending recall, so it would go to the back lot and not be listed as part of their inventory.

Third dealer was Future Ford, part of a huge chain. They said they have been authorized by Ford to sell these cars, only with a waiver signed by the seller of the affected car, and prospective buyer. They offered me $27k on trade or $24.5k to just purchase my car.

That was in November, and obviously my experience. YMMV.
Old 2/11/16, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
BMW added 840,000 more vehicles to the list today.
Old 2/12/16, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
In case anyone wants to know what it will look like when your airbag explodes instead of deploys.

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/how-reg...oding-airbags/

Violins will be played at our funerals

Last edited by lowblustang00; 2/12/16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 2/12/16, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I picked up my new wheels/tires last night and had to have my seat extra close to the steering wheel to fit them in the back seat. My bootyhole was puckered the whole drive home
Old 2/12/16, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched the video.
That's not an air bag but a bomb. If I need to build a bomb I know where to get the parts now.
Greg
Old 2/13/16, 04:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I picked up my new wheels/tires last night and had to have my seat extra close to the steering wheel to fit them in the back seat. My bootyhole was puckered the whole drive home
I'm gonna start puckering too. I hadn't really taken the recall too seriously but after reading this thread...wow.

Quick Reply: Airbag of Exploding Death