Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 Mustang V6 Paint, Transmission and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/14, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mustang V6 Paint, Transmission and other issues

I just bought a 2014 mustang V6 Manual 6 Speed transmission with the premium package Deep Impact Blue 3 months ago. I have 8000 miles on the car. Here are the issues I have had:
1) I had a very bad smell coming off the engine at 4000 miles - They had to pull the transmission and found brake fluid in the transmission. The Clutch slave cylinder had to be replaced as it was leaking. It still smells bad. They tell me this will "burn off". They also refused to replace the clutch when I asked them to because they said none of the fluid got on the clutch... Should I continue to pursue this so long as the smell is present?
2) The paint has several issues - First I noticed sand in the paint (showed them one spot and asked them to go over the car and resolve it). They buffed the hell out of the paint and were not able to remove the sand. They also did not go over the paint because I found 3 other bits of sand in the paint since and they say they can sand them out without damaging my paint (waaa?). Do I allow them to sand the paint? After buffing, the paint now looks like an orange peel. Should I address this as well? Finally, I paid for Simonize treatment and after buffing, I still see faint water spots all over. What should they be doing to correct all of this??? They want to simply wet sand the entire car.... Oh yea, and I have tiny chips on the hood and tiny bubbles all over already - I have not been though a sand storm so how do I know if the paint is too thin or if the tiny bubbles are something to worry about?
3) I have rust on the struts to the left and right under the engine. The paint has bubbled and rust is showing clearly. Can this be fixed or is it not covered??
4) I have corrosion all over the aluminum block. They tell me this is "normal"???
5) When they took my car for buffing and detail, they dented the top drivers quarter panel. They claim they can just pop the dent out. If it comes out (I do know they might be able to bang it out) should I be ok with that?

At what point should I send all this to Ford officially or invoke lemon laws? They had my car for 2 weeks and returned it in worse shape than when I dropped it off...
Any advise would be appreciated!!!!
Ben
Old 5/4/14, 06:09 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Many parts on the under side of the car will rust. A simple search of the forum will many threads explaining this. Its designed to rusted in some areas. The paint issues suck and the dealer should look at the bubbles. new cars have bad orange peel from the factory.. a 150k car or a 80k car will all have orange peel since they are painted by machines. During the owners inspections of the car when you pick it up the paint issues should of been found. The car would not qualify for lemon law since the paint issues do not count and the rust is normal. water spots are something you fix by washing and cleaning the car.

https://themustangsource.com/f804/ru...l-axle-514023/
Old 5/4/14, 06:26 AM

I get the surface rust - that is fine - I have it all over the engine and compartments. Having done body work and painting in the past, I have trouble understanding how the dealer could think that at 8000 miles I should have orange peel and sand under the paint and chipping already. Also, the dealers paint guy was talking about the paint as if it were base coat, clear coat (i.e. the sand is only in the clear coat). I thought these were a single stage paint??

For the transmission issues, should I just take their word for it that the issue is resolved although the smell is still coming off the engine (granted a bit less than before)? I just would prefer not to get to 50k miles and have the clutch burn out because the transmission was bad the whole time or damage was done and I do not know about it. Also, why the heck would a brand new car leak from anything let alone the clutch slave hydrolics??? I feel a little bit dissappointed with the lower quality I appear to have been given from the 2014 in comparison with the 2005 I had before.

Last edited by bensharp27; 5/4/14 at 07:00 AM.
Old 5/4/14, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is base coat clear coat.
Old 5/5/14, 06:41 PM

Good information!! So should I let them wet sand it to see if they can get the dust particles out?

Also, has anyone else had problems with the "knotchy" feel of some gears on this transmission? Can it be corrected before I mess something up?

I would prefer to fix everything while under warranty rather than wait for later when the transmission needs an early rebuild.

Thanks again for the replies!!
Old 5/6/14, 05:27 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ben,
It is odd that the slave cylinder went bad, and more odd that the transmission had hydraulic fluid in it from that.
If the clutch disk stayed dry, I would not worry about it, and if it did get "wet" I am sure you would have chatter or slippage right away.
As far as the stink, brake fluid can be cut with water. See if you can wash the underside of the car and the smell should go away. Best of luck!
Old 5/7/14, 09:44 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bensharp27
I just bought a 2014 mustang V6 Manual 6 Speed transmission with the premium package Deep Impact Blue 3 months ago. I have 8000 miles on the car. Here are the issues I have had: ...
Hello bensharp27,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area for further review. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 5/8/14, 08:11 AM
GT Member

That 'sand' is more than likely rail dust from transport. Wet sanding is the first step to try to fix the problem. If it has eaten its way through the color coat though the affected parts will have to be repainted. This dust will eventually rust and cause the paint to bubble or chip off.
Old 5/29/14, 10:29 AM

Thank you for the replies! The dealer has finally taken the car in to do what they want with it (I seem to have few options at the moment). They are sanding and claim to have removed the particles although they say they are having a little trouble getting the waterspots out of the clearcoat. They are currently taking the position that I am imagining any problems with the transmission or the smell wafting from under my hood
If it is not right, I think I will let them keep it. I love to drive the car, but I need somthing that will last a while. I am still holding out some hope Ford will step in and force the dealer to make it right (I would be happy if they just said, here is your money back to apply to a new 2015 at this point!). I will keep you updated!! I will have a nice Mustang some day again!!!
Old 5/29/14, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've seen Ford to go some pretty amazing lengths to make sure that our concerns are addressed and can sum it up with only one word, rather name... Deysha.

I haven't seen any other competitor do this...

Please keep us posted to let us know, this peaks my interest being it as I've had extremely positive experiences with my service department when I owned my Hyundai Elantra and they made sure to do whatever it took to keep the customer happy and all of this feedback is good to know overall.
Old 5/30/14, 06:37 AM

Thank you for the replies! The dealer has finally taken the car in to do what they want with it (I seem to have few options at the moment). They are sanding and claim to have removed the particles although they say they are having a little trouble getting the waterspots out of the clearcoat. They are currently taking the position that I am imagining any problems with the transmission or the smell wafting from under my hood
If it is not right, I think I will let them keep it. I love to drive the car, but I need somthing that will last a while. I am still holding out some hope Ford will step in and force the dealer to make it right (I would be happy if they just said, here is your money back to apply to a new 2015 at this point!). I will keep you updated!! I will have a nice Mustang some day again!!!
Thank you for the update, bensharp27.

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I've seen Ford to go some pretty amazing lengths to make sure that our concerns are addressed and can sum it up with only one word, rather name... Deysha.

I haven't seen any other competitor do this...

Please keep us posted to let us know, this peaks my interest being it as I've had extremely positive experiences with my service department when I owned my Hyundai Elantra and they made sure to do whatever it took to keep the customer happy and all of this feedback is good to know overall.
Thank you for the kind words, JoeMidnight!

Deysha
Old 5/30/14, 10:37 AM

I have not had any information from the dealer today, but I will certainly update as soon as I hear anything. Honestly, based on my experience with the dealer and car thus far, I am concerned I just got a car with many issues. I suspect the only action that would truely impress me would be for the dealer to offer to take the car back as a lemon and offer to put the credit toward a new 2015 (in hopes it has fewer problems). THAT would be amazing service in my opinion! The alternative would be a thorough inspection and correction of issues (even ones I have not noticed myself as yet). Thanks again!!
Old 5/30/14, 11:04 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I know how you feel, my 2014 has a rumble in the rear of the car, that the dealer says the same thing, I can't hear it. I went for a ride on their test road and its like a road ground down for repaving.
At this point its our burden to prove something is amiss.
I too am at the point of just wanting to start over, and a 2014 for another 2014 would be fine. Maybe a GT this time.
Best of luck to you.
Old 6/8/14, 09:01 PM

Here is the update so far:

1) I have the car back now after a second 2 weeks of work on the car
2) The paint person from Ford (The dealer tells me he is a regional manager or similar) who told me he could get the sand out of the paint without removing any clearcoat (or so little it did not matter) was not able to remove the sand without chipping in out (he smoothed them over, but they are all still visible - he was not on site when I picked the car up to confirm). He did measure my clearcoat half way through last week after the sanding - unfortunately, he measured after he applied over 1 mm of wax to the car according to his measuring device, so I have no idea how much clearcoat was removed in the attempt.
3) The Ford customer care representative (excellent person to work with) was honest with me and indicated my dealer had never submitted any questions to for service regarding my transmission issues (I let her know that the service manager had indicated to me he was waiting for a reply from them - she called and he told her there was no problem with the transmission to be investigated...). Needless to say getting lied to sucks. I did not address this when I picked up the car.

So, here is the plan: The customer care representative (after talking with me and the service manager and getting two completely different messages) recommended I take the car to a different dealer to get another opinion. Her customer service is exceptional and I trust her to work with me. In order to address the paint, I will return to the same dealer (since they put a Simonize treatment on the car and messed up the paint to begin with in addition to promising to remove the sand) and will request compensation for the defects. We will see where that goes. I will take my car to another (more trusted) Ford dealer nearby (thank goodness I have a few choices close to me) for a second opinion on the 3rd gear synchonizer issue and smell coming off the transmission (still - The service manager says he doesnt smell anything he can identify...).

I actually feel good that I will not be returning my car to the dealership I went to before - I think they are just bad to work with and not worth my time.

I will update again when all is said an done! Thank you again Deysha!!!!!! The escalation completely changed my perspective on the issue and was very (finally) honest with me. I cannot say how much that matters.
Old 6/10/14, 08:58 AM

Here is the update so far:

1) I have the car back now after a second 2 weeks of work on the car
2) The paint person from Ford (The dealer tells me he is a regional manager or similar) who told me he could get the sand out of the paint without removing any clearcoat (or so little it did not matter) was not able to remove the sand without chipping in out (he smoothed them over, but they are all still visible - he was not on site when I picked the car up to confirm). He did measure my clearcoat half way through last week after the sanding - unfortunately, he measured after he applied over 1 mm of wax to the car according to his measuring device, so I have no idea how much clearcoat was removed in the attempt.
3) The Ford customer care representative (excellent person to work with) was honest with me and indicated my dealer had never submitted any questions to for service regarding my transmission issues (I let her know that the service manager had indicated to me he was waiting for a reply from them - she called and he told her there was no problem with the transmission to be investigated...). Needless to say getting lied to sucks. I did not address this when I picked up the car.

So, here is the plan: The customer care representative (after talking with me and the service manager and getting two completely different messages) recommended I take the car to a different dealer to get another opinion. Her customer service is exceptional and I trust her to work with me. In order to address the paint, I will return to the same dealer (since they put a Simonize treatment on the car and messed up the paint to begin with in addition to promising to remove the sand) and will request compensation for the defects. We will see where that goes. I will take my car to another (more trusted) Ford dealer nearby (thank goodness I have a few choices close to me) for a second opinion on the 3rd gear synchonizer issue and smell coming off the transmission (still - The service manager says he doesnt smell anything he can identify...).

I actually feel good that I will not be returning my car to the dealership I went to before - I think they are just bad to work with and not worth my time.

I will update again when all is said an done! Thank you again Deysha!!!!!! The escalation completely changed my perspective on the issue and was very (finally) honest with me. I cannot say how much that matters.
Great! You're very welcome, bensharp27! Keep us posted.

Deysha
Old 11/20/14, 04:58 PM

1) I am now at square 1. Customer service says the dealer needs to justify painting the entire car, the dealer refuses to paint parts of the car impacted by the sand in the paint since the car has heavy orange peel (they cannot match).
2) The dealer refuses to acknowledge any problem with the transmission (despite the strong smell and grinding and general noises when shifting). Customer service requested a FST to go out to look at the car and they refused.
3) No other dealer will even touch the car due to whatever it is my current dealer has documented about what they did to the car (sanding the paint, replacing the transmission parts etc..)
4) A bolt on the front of the motor (on the timing chain cover) was leaking "fluid" (oil) and the dealer simply put dye in my radiator and wiped the oil off. They said "Ford does not fix "seaping" bolts.
5) The dealer says the smell is not a problem - it is what a car is supposed to smell like (I have owned MANY cars including a 2005 mustang - none smelled like this). I actually had a kid walk up to my car (they liked it) and then walked away quickly saying it stinks.

Also, I now have corrosion under the hood and trunk lid. I think bringing this to the dealer may be a mistake considering the treatment they have given my car so far... Any suggestions?

Wish I could give a better update.
Ben
Old 11/22/14, 07:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) I am now at square 1. Customer service says the dealer needs to justify painting the entire car, the dealer refuses to paint parts of the car impacted by the sand in the paint since the car has heavy orange peel (they cannot match).
2) The dealer refuses to acknowledge any problem with the transmission (despite the strong smell and grinding and general noises when shifting). Customer service requested a FST to go out to look at the car and they refused.
3) No other dealer will even touch the car due to whatever it is my current dealer has documented about what they did to the car (sanding the paint, replacing the transmission parts etc..)
4) A bolt on the front of the motor (on the timing chain cover) was leaking "fluid" (oil) and the dealer simply put dye in my radiator and wiped the oil off. They said "Ford does not fix "seaping" bolts.
5) The dealer says the smell is not a problem - it is what a car is supposed to smell like (I have owned MANY cars including a 2005 mustang - none smelled like this). I actually had a kid walk up to my car (they liked it) and then walked away quickly saying it stinks.

Also, I now have corrosion under the hood and trunk lid. I think bringing this to the dealer may be a mistake considering the treatment they have given my car so far... Any suggestions?

Wish I could give a better update.
Ben
I have been in your situation. I would continue to work with your Customer service representative(the one Deysha got you in contact with). Ask to talk with there supervisor if you are getting no where with them. Just be persistent and patient. Your car has SUBSTANTIAL issues. In the meantime, look up your states lemon law requirements and see if you qualify. If working with Ford is getting you nowhere, it might be time to go the lemon law route...
Old 11/23/14, 05:08 PM

Thank you Dave. Hate having to do all this over stupid issues that could easily be resolved if the right person paid attention and just fixed it. Love my Mustang. Hate the quality problems!
Ben