Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?

Old 8/26/13, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I noticed that nobody has been on this forum for about a year now, but I got a 2013 mustang back in May, and the screen over the radio seems to be doing the same thing, I ran my nail over it and it feels almost like you have sanded on it? Did yall just bring your's into the dealer and they fixed it?
Old 8/27/13, 07:04 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Aracknid
Hello, and thanks for your suggestion. I did call my Ford service dept. and confirmed that a new screen was not there after 10 weeks, and so I called Ford Customer Service and within a few days the screen had been replaced. They actually also replaced the LCD display as well and updated the software.

Now when I turn on my car, my radio screen says "Mustang" for a few seconds (which I'm pretty sure it never did but I could be wrong) and then the LCD shows as before but I have 2 new lines dividing up the areas. Looks pretty nice. Add of course the screen is clean and nice.

Aracknid
This is great, Aracknid!

Originally Posted by Music man in Pcola
I took my wife's V6 Pony Package Stang into my local dealer and they replaced the entire radio with a new one. At first the service "technician" said it was on the outside! He looked liked a fool after rubbing the screen for a few minutes before he agreed that the problem was inside. I am still awaiting the lower front suspension part to arrive. s soon as I MENTIONED Deysha the service manager began to make my life a lot easier. Thanks Deysha
Lol! That’s interesting, Music man in Pcola. You're very welcome!

Originally Posted by Brennonalb
Hey I noticed that nobody has been on this forum for about a year now, but I got a 2013 mustang back in May, and the screen over the radio seems to be doing the same thing, I ran my nail over it and it feels almost like you have sanded on it? Did yall just bring your's into the dealer and they fixed it?
Welcome to the forum, Brennonalb! All you have to do is make an appointment with your dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name and best daytime number and I’ll get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 8/27/13, 08:52 PM
V6 Member

mine had a very similar issue... i got an appointment this coming thursday to have them replace it under warranty.
Old 8/30/13, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by dach4mp
mine had a very similar issue... i got an appointment this coming thursday to have them replace it under warranty.
See I figured mine would be covered but by pictures of it that I sent them and I bring it in today they think it has been hit by something which it hasn't. Seems like you might have better dealerships over there.
Old 9/21/13, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordService
No problem. Make sure you keep me posted, exrub.

Deysha
I have noticed this seems to be a common issue both my 2012 and my 2013 has this issue. Dear ford service are you telling us this is something that ford will replace and are they using something else so it won't happen again.
Old 9/21/13, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leachdor
Contacted the folks at the service department and this is the feedback I got:

"I had my master technician look at this photo and we are both of the opinion that it looks to be glue with dust sitting on top of it. It does not appear to be a defect. This is most likely related to when the film was removed upon delivery. As a dealership our first step would be to attempt to clean it off and proceed from there if necessary. I hope these are the answers you were looking for, if not please do swing it in to see me at 10:30 tomorrow! Thank you"

I went ahead and made the appointment for tomorrow morning but on the way home from work tonight I'm going to pick up a bottle of goo-gone. I'm not sure what else to use that won't be corrosive to the screen but yet still be able to dissolve the residue. If that doesn't work, I'll take it in.

@Deysha : Just to follow-up on the private message I sent you, I'll be taking it into the local dealership I listed tomorrow, not the one up in Columbus.
I can tell you this is not glue. I have tried to clean mine with products that will remove glue and not hurt the plastic.
Old 9/23/13, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
I have noticed this seems to be a common issue both my 2012 and my 2013 has this issue. Dear ford service are you telling us this is something that ford will replace and are they using something else so it won't happen again.
Hi BRADGTCS,

I’m here to help our customers where I can and escalate their concerns when needed. I’m not a technician or an engineer, therefore I won’t advise on replacements, warranty coverage, etc.

If you’re experiencing this concern, please bring it in to your Ford Dealer for diagnosis. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 9/27/13, 05:23 PM
GT Member

I just bought a 2013 GT Convertible, CPO, 17k. It is a beautiful car except for this one defect!! I found it the day after buying the car, and was really quite a bummer It was getting dark when I test drove the car, then completely dark when I drove home- so it wasn't obvious right away. I found it the next day sitting in it when I had the time to look at everything closely. I assumed I was out of luck, but it sounds like I should have this looked at? Mine is a pain since it makes the screen nearly impossible to read in sun/bright (Convertible).
Old 9/30/13, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by MKMotorsport
I just bought a 2013 GT Convertible, CPO, 17k. It is a beautiful car except for this one defect!! I found it the day after buying the car, and was really quite a bummer It was getting dark when I test drove the car, then completely dark when I drove home- so it wasn't obvious right away. I found it the next day sitting in it when I had the time to look at everything closely. I assumed I was out of luck, but it sounds like I should have this looked at? Mine is a pain since it makes the screen nearly impossible to read in sun/bright (Convertible).
Hello MKMotorsport,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. You should bring this up to your Service Manager. He/she is in the best position to let you know if there is a replacement needed, and about coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.).

Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 10/21/13, 10:06 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hello MKMotorsport,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. You should bring this up to your Service Manager. He/she is in the best position to let you know if there is a replacement needed, and about coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.).

Let me know the outcome.

Deysha

Hi Deysha,

Thanks for your response and responsiveness on these forums!!! That is truly awesome. I got back from Ford this morning, with some disappointing and annoying news. After making an appointment SPECIFICALLY last week to have a photo taken of this defect to have it sent on to Ford, my friendly service technician and then service director advised me that he (the service director) had looked at it and determined it wasn't warrantable!!!! (after they had me bring the vehicle in @6am- then kept me waiting 3!!! hours) ALL ON HIS OWN!!! NO PICTURES OR INPUT FROM FORD NEEDED AT ALL!!!! They could have at least told me to go pound sand right away and I wouldn't have wasted 3 hours of my day/could have gotten some breakfast.... ridiculous...Ford's service is garbage in person plain and simple. And that's a compliment!!!

This car was bought from them, a CPO with 16k mi. It has the balance of the factory warranty, + an extended 3rd party (I know, I know...) warranty... I bought this car as a nice driver, I have other "wannabe racecars". Now I'm left with a vehicle I feel like I have nowhere to take to get serviced (original dealer is a bunch of crooks), and a bunch of warranties that won't even get the simplest of problems taken care of on the car (a silly radio display that OBVIOUSLY has MULTIPLE DOCUMENTED PROBLEMS of the same nature), couldn't imagine if you had to use the warranty for something more serious!!!! YIKES.

I'm going to keep this civil for now and withhold names, etc. But I will surely keep all posted about how Ford decides to handle it. What a lousy way to start the week...

-Matt

Edit heres a few pics of mine. I'd love to say I've put all the additional horizontal scratching into it but thats been done by each service writer, 2-3, doing some extremely scientific troubleshooting, like spitting on thier finger or shirt sleeve, and beginning, to rub away!!! I wish I was kidding, all I could do was watch an cringe.... Not even sure who I'm complaining to or where to even take my car to get serviced now, lol.

Last edited by MKMotorsport; 10/21/13 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10/21/13, 11:25 AM
GT Member

I guess what also seems crazzzzzzzy stupid to me is the range of solutions Ford apparently offers for this. Everything from replace ENTIRE radio, to screen only, to not even acknowldging its a problem or blaming the owner (my case), then you have another crowd of dissolusioned owners over yonder cutting and tinting their own screens and replacing them themselves (probably because they had situations like mine). Meanwhile, everyone that rides in your brand new Ford product looks at the dash and sees that. If I wasn't a Ford guy I know what I'd be thinking... "I'm never buying one of those!!!" Regardless the reason, you would think Ford wouldn't want dozens of its 1-2 year old vehicles out on the streets looking all run down. This is simply my opinion, but it looks like either a laminated and/or polarized internal layer of the optic is seperating or failing either from heat/uv/cold/whatever. I call that a material defect. Guess 'my' dealer dosent agree.

What a complete cluster Anyone that can help I'm greatly appreciative, so don't take any of this the wrong way.

Last edited by MKMotorsport; 10/21/13 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10/21/13, 02:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What a complete cluster Anyone that can help I'm greatly appreciative, so don't take any of this the wrong way.
Maybe try a different dealer. I've had one dealer tell me an issue is all my fault and then had the same problem fixed under warranty at another dealer with no questions asked.

Last edited by wheelman; 10/21/13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10/21/13, 06:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Maybe try a different dealer. I've had one dealer tell me an issue is all my fault and then had the same problem fixed under warranty at another dealer with no questions asked.

That is certainly plan B or plans B + C.

Update: As strangely as I was told to go pound sand, the service manager called my phone, left a message that they had worked something internally between themselves and sales (even if this ends up working out for the better I don't see why or how a customer should be exposed to the frustration of this internal bickering in the first place!) had worked something out and that a new screen lens should be here by Wed. I'm not holding my breath just yet but it looks like things might be getting taken care of here on their own. I'll update that if anything changes. In the meanwhile thanks for listening to me rant
Old 10/22/13, 06:19 AM

Hi Deysha,

Thanks for your response and responsiveness on these forums!!! That is truly awesome. I got back from Ford this morning, with some disappointing and annoying news.
You’re welcome, MKMotorsport. I’m not sure this is the same concern others have, but you are more than welcome to have a different Ford Dealer look at it. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number and I’ll get it escalated as well.

Deysha
Old 10/22/13, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have this issue (I have the nav unit), but I can tell you what it is. The scratch coating layer that is placed on the plastic is delaminating.

I work for an ophthalmic optics (eyeglass lenses) manufacturer and work with thin film coatings all the time. My guess is the lens on the radio is either made of CR-39, polycarbonate, or some other resin- which is probably coated with a cured hardcoat.

The issue is probably occurring due to heat/cold cycles (the substrate of the lens is expanding / contracting at a different rate than the hardcoat. Imagine a bathroom wall that is wallpapered- but the plaster is expanding and contracting behind the wallpaper. Eventually, the wallpaper will have bubbles, loose sections, or peel all together (which is what is happening here).

This is a manufacturing defect- pure and simple. Its going to be next to impossible to remove the hardcoat (at least without permanently disfiguring the lens). If you are out of warranty and feel brave, it might be possible to remove the lens and flip it (perhaps it is only coated on one side) if the pattern is symmetrical. Better yet, you could put the lens in an ultrasonic cleaner (one of those things that buzzes and cleans jewelry). Often times, when the coating starts to delaminate, you can literally vibrate it off the rest of the way using ultrasonic. However, once you remove the hardcoat, be VERY careful when cleaning the lens.

Last edited by Varilux; 10/22/13 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10/23/13, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's a recent thread of Ford SSMs/TSBs here from HizliBullet which mentions this:

SSM 44226 - Effective Oct 10 2013 Multi Vehicle Line - Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) Display Distortion

This might be the LCD problem.
Old 10/30/13, 12:44 PM
GT Member

OK, I'm back, this time with some great news.

I'm back this morning with a fresh screen!! My dealer did see good on it to follow through on their promise they had made last week to make this right-I'm truly impressed. I did not get the entire radio replacement as some had mentioned, but I did not want or ask for that anyway. All I wanted was a screen I could ready with the top down, which I now have FWIW my invoice copy shows the screen replacement and module program/re-program..but my screen does not show the updated grid lines and "Mustang" text as someone else noted. Again, not important as that's not what I was after. The important thing is that my individual dealer and Ford at large did come through in the end.

And Deysha, I do truly appreciate your responsiveness and efforts here, even better I didn't have to escalate this at all, I'm most grateful for that!
Old 11/7/13, 04:40 AM

Glad I read this.....I was going to try acetone on the display.
YIKES !!!
Old 11/7/13, 11:31 AM

OK, I'm back, this time with some great news.

I'm back this morning with a fresh screen!! My dealer did see good on it to follow through on their promise they had made last week to make this right-I'm truly impressed...
And Deysha, I do truly appreciate your responsiveness and efforts here, even better I didn't have to escalate this at all, I'm most grateful for that!
That is great news, MKMotorsport! Thank you for the kind words.

Originally Posted by HARLEYJOE43
Glad I read this.....I was going to try acetone on the display.
YIKES !!!
Let me get this escalated for you as well, HARLEYJOE43. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 11/7/13, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got this taken care of at the dealer, also had the "pull door handle two times to open" fixed.

Here are the Ford SSMs that address these:

SSM44226-FDIM DISPLAY DISTORTED
SSM44237-OUTER DOOR HANDLE NOT OPENING ON FIRST PULL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 GT Radio LCD Display - Recognize This?