Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 GT - loud thump under floor when going up a driveway at an angle

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/15, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GT - loud thump under floor when going up a driveway at an angle

I just picked up my car from the dealer. I had two issues; 1 the noise over bumps (lower control arms) and 2 a loud thumping sound under my floor when I go up driveways at a certain angle. The lower control arms were fixed but I still have the thump issue

It feels like someone is punching under my floor. Doesn't happen when I go up a driveway straight, only at an angle, for example making a right turn into a driveway. Has anyone else had this issue before? I want to take it in again and perhaps I can explain it better if there are others with the same issue.
Old 3/18/15, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lakersfreak
I just picked up my car from the dealer. I had two issues; 1 the noise over bumps (lower control arms) and 2 a loud thumping sound under my floor when I go up driveways at a certain angle. The lower control arms were fixed but I still have the thump issue

It feels like someone is punching under my floor. Doesn't happen when I go up a driveway straight, only at an angle, for example making a right turn into a driveway. Has anyone else had this issue before? I want to take it in again and perhaps I can explain it better if there are others with the same issue.
When my wife's CRV had a broken endlink her car would do the same thing. I would check your swaybar endlinks.
Old 3/18/15, 08:52 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I just picked up my car from the dealer. I had two issues; 1 the noise over bumps (lower control arms) and 2 a loud thumping sound under my floor when I go up driveways at a certain angle. The lower control arms were fixed but I still have the thump issue.

Let’s get this thump looked into for you, lakersfreak. Please make another appointment with your dealer, and let me escalate this for you. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 3/18/15, 07:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem. I also have a very pronounced creaking coming from the passenger front when the weight shifts that direction on left turns or curves. This happens at all speeds. I also still have the thump from the driver's rear. I tried torquing the PHB brace bolts to 70 ftlbs and it is quieter but still there.

Deysha,

I'm still in germany and the last place where I had work done was crappy. If you could help me find another place that would be awesome. I can PM you my info again if you need it.
Old 3/18/15, 10:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I just picked up my car from the dealer. I had two issues; 1 the noise over bumps (lower control arms) and 2 a loud thumping sound under my floor when I go up driveways at a certain angle. The lower control arms were fixed but I still have the thump issue It feels like someone is punching under my floor. Doesn't happen when I go up a driveway straight, only at an angle, for example making a right turn into a driveway. Has anyone else had this issue before? I want to take it in again and perhaps I can explain it better if there are others with the same issue.
Your noise over angled driveways sounds like a problem I had. I had a creaking noise that ended up being my rear sway bar. The angled driveway noise ended up being mu upper control arm. I just had it tightened up and the noise was gone.
Old 3/19/15, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I have the same problem. I also have a very pronounced creaking coming from the passenger front when the weight shifts that direction on left turns or curves. This happens at all speeds. I also still have the thump from the driver's rear. I tried torquing the PHB brace bolts to 70 ftlbs and it is quieter but still there.

Deysha,

I'm still in germany and the last place where I had work done was crappy. If you could help me find another place that would be awesome. I can PM you my info again if you need it.
Hey Stevedomil,

Remember, since you’re in Germany, you should call the Germany Customer Relationship Center at +49 (0) 221 903 3333 for assistance. You can also contact the Overseas Military Sales Corporation (OMSC) who can assist with service-related issues. OMSC can also help you find a participating service center. Please contact them at 1-800-669-6183 or 9-011-49-6173-704-256.

Deysha
Old 3/20/15, 04:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Deysha.
Old 3/20/15, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Your noise over angled driveways sounds like a problem I had. I had a creaking noise that ended up being my rear sway bar. The angled driveway noise ended up being mu upper control arm. I just had it tightened up and the noise was gone.
Another thing to add: If you are tightening suspension components, torque them down to specifications. They can make noises if they are to loose or to tight.
Old 3/29/15, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm taking it in tomorrow, lets see what happens.
Old 3/30/15, 10:11 AM

I'm taking it in tomorrow, lets see what happens.
Keep me posted, lakersfreak.

Deysha
Old 4/2/15, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

So I had to actually go back to dealer yesterday afternoon for a road test cause they couldn't duplicate the sound (they probably thought I was crazy). So I drove with a service manager and he heard the sound and was amazed (by the way I explained exactly how, why and what occurs, but its ok). Got the call this morning at apparently was the sway bar. They changed it. I will pick it up in a few hours and see what has changed. Been driving a piece of crap Mazda for the last 4 days. Can't wait to get rid of it!
Old 4/2/15, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

So I had to actually go back to dealer yesterday afternoon for a road test cause they couldn't duplicate the sound (they probably thought I was crazy). So I drove with a service manager and he heard the sound and was amazed (by the way I explained exactly how, why and what occurs, but its ok). Got the call this morning at apparently was the sway bar. They changed it. I will pick it up in a few hours and see what has changed. Been driving a piece of crap Mazda for the last 4 days. Can't wait to get rid of it!
Ahhh ya. Figured it was swaybar related!
Old 4/3/15, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Thump is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still have the squeeking and crackling in dash when going over large cracks. Service guy drove my car for 10 miles and couldn't duplicate sound. Only happens once in a while, I guess I can live with it....for now.
Old 4/3/15, 10:48 AM

Thump is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still have the squeeking and crackling in dash when going over large cracks. Service guy drove my car for 10 miles and couldn't duplicate sound. Only happens once in a while, I guess I can live with it....for now.
Great! Thank you for the update, lakersfreak!

Deysha
Old 4/4/15, 07:34 PM

Glad it's fixed! Don't complain about a free rental though... My dealer won't give me one for weeks of engine repairs. Go figure...
Old 4/13/15, 03:28 PM

Looks like i am getting the same grunt/creak/squeak/chirp noice from the rear axle OR LCA specially going over bumps, small potholes..its **** annoying now.

I already had same issue from front which was fixed (70%) last year from my ford dealer.

So, looks like i will have to take appt. asap to get these items checked. I already have due date for oil change so might as well get this everything done at one shot.

Will keep everyone posted.

Cheers
Hansthak
Old 4/15/15, 06:11 AM
CURRENTLY NOT ACTIVE ON THIS SITE DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by Hansthak
Looks like i am getting the same grunt/creak/squeak/chirp noice from the rear axle OR LCA specially going over bumps, small potholes..its **** annoying now.

I already had same issue from front which was fixed (70%) last year from my ford dealer.

So, looks like i will have to take appt. asap to get these items checked. I already have due date for oil change so might as well get this everything done at one shot.

Will keep everyone posted.

Cheers
Hansthak
Having your dealer take a look at this is the best first step, Hansthak; let's get started on the next ones. I'll get an escalation sent up to your regional customer service manager for further assistance. Please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, current odometer reading, servicing dealership, and best daytime contact number.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Brittany

Last edited by FordServiceCA; 4/15/15 at 06:13 AM.