Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2011 GT extended warranty - ITEMS NOT COVERED

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/15, 06:26 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2011 GT extended warranty - ITEMS NOT COVERED

So my 2011 GT had many issues that needed fixing during it's first two years of life. After many complaints to FoMoCo, they realized that the best thing for Ford to do for me was to provide me with a free extended warranty (ExtraCARE). Well, in 2013, one of the broken items was the Driver's-side power seat motor and seat track assembly. Strange item to break with only 10k miles. So during the repair (made under normal warranty period), I asked the Service Manager at my Ford Stealer, oops I mean Dealer (Ford Country, Henderson, NV), if they can replace the Passenger-side also, since knowing my vehicle, that would break too. He said they cannot, they can only repair/replace a broken item. Well, wouldn't you know, now it's the end of 2015, two years later, and...surprise! The same item(s) are now broken on the Passenger-side seat...power seat motor and seat track assembly. Only 20k miles. How disappointing. But the fun is not over yet, oh no. My Ford Stealer, oops I did it again, I mean Dealer, says this ITEM IS NOT COVERED UNDER MY EXTENDED WARRANTY. Price to fix is $900, WTF???!!!
DEYSHA - I PM'D YOU TWICE...PLEASE HELP.
Old 11/30/15, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks. Reading about power seat problems a couple of years ago before I bought my car is one reason why I bought a base model car with manual seats. $900 to fix this seems like highway robbery especially since they don't seem to last.

I hope you can get some type of help from Ford on this.

Wayne
Old 11/30/15, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 70monte
That sucks. Reading about power seat problems a couple of years ago before I bought my car is one reason why I bought a base model car with manual seats. $900 to fix this seems like highway robbery especially since they don't seem to last.
I hope you can get some type of help from Ford on this.
Wayne
---
Yes, thanks, Wayne, you are correct. But...Wifey wanted all the bells and whistles, including power & heated seats. I'm hoping Deysha can step in and make this right.
Old 11/30/15, 07:41 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
I'd say you're probably pissing up a rope on this one. Get ready to shell out $900.

Or start calling junkyards and fix it yourself. But at this point I'm sure the junkyards have seen enough to know its a common problem and are going to have them priced accordingly as well.
Old 11/30/15, 07:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
ExtraCare, you say? Well... isn't this interesting:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...E_Brochure.pdf

And

http://fordprotect.ford.com/extracare/

You know, it says right there in the high tech section: Power Seat Motors.

And since you cannot buy the motors without the entire track, that means the entire track, so the dealer is absolutely full of bunk and you need to call them out on it. Which means being armed with this particular information.

Also, look at the bottom right of the page for the two numbers you need to be aware of, and give them a call. Get information. Insist on email or letter or whatever proof you can shove into the face of whoever's lying to you.

And, to be honest, if you can't get a decent answer as to who was lying to you about what is covered under ExtraCare... provided you actually have that and not BaseCare, which does NOT cover the seats... you could take it to another dealer. Friendly, Gaudin, Team Ford, and even Transwest Ford Trucks are all in the Las Vegas area. There's also Ken Garff Mesquite Ford to the northwest, Colorado River Ford in Bullhead to the South, and another Colorado River Ford in Kingman to the southwest, although yes, those are quite silly to go an hour and a half away to deal with.

Hope this helps, and good dang luck to ya.
The following users liked this post:
MustangLady322 (1/12/21)
Old 11/30/15, 08:25 PM

Thanks, Houtex. Yes, I have ExtraCARE. And yes, I reviewed my 15 page contract earlier today and read it to the Stealer (oh, I mean Dealer). Power Seat Motors clearly listed. Their position is that the motor is not actually broken, thus requiring a complete seat track assembly...which is total BS, and they know it.

Thanks, Hillbilly. I've won a lot of fights like this, not just auto-related. I can be quite the little PITA Pit Bull when I need to be. That's how I got the ExtraCARE package to begin with, not to mention a free 3-year maintenance plan, too.

This ain't over, not by a long shot.
Old 12/2/15, 10:15 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
So my 2011 GT had many issues that needed fixing during it's first two years of life. After many complaints to FoMoCo, they realized that the best thing for Ford to do for me was to provide me with a free extended warranty (ExtraCARE). Well, in 2013, one of the broken items was the Driver's-side power seat motor and seat track assembly. Strange item to break with only 10k miles. So during the repair (made under normal warranty period), I asked the Service Manager at my Ford Stealer, oops I mean Dealer (Ford Country, Henderson, NV), if they can replace the Passenger-side also, since knowing my vehicle, that would break too. He said they cannot, they can only repair/replace a broken item. Well, wouldn't you know, now it's the end of 2015, two years later, and...surprise! The same item(s) are now broken on the Passenger-side seat...power seat motor and seat track assembly. Only 20k miles. How disappointing. But the fun is not over yet, oh no. My Ford Stealer, oops I did it again, I mean Dealer, says this ITEM IS NOT COVERED UNDER MY EXTENDED WARRANTY. Price to fix is $900, ???!!!
DEYSHA - I PM'D YOU TWICE...PLEASE HELP.
I received your PMs from Monday, but I was out of the office, PJRManagement. I am happy to get this reviewed for you. I’ll get back to your PM as soon as possible.

Deysha
MustangLady322 (1/12/21)
Old 12/11/15, 01:35 PM

Well, so far, Hillbilly is right. Ford will NOT cover this item. What total B.S. I've had so many little problems with this car. And now Ford chooses not to make this right. Deysha, thanks, but nothing has been done. I will NEVER purchase another Ford product as long as I am on this earth. NEVER. You guys don't stand behind what you sell. And good-bye. You just lost a customer for life, congrats.

Last edited by tom281; 12/11/15 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12/11/15, 02:00 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
My drivers side power seat went out and was fixed under warranty at around 12,000 miles, a few years ago.. Now my passenger power seat is going out at 24,000 miles.

There is another Thread on this Forum and it is a 'common' problem for the 2011 power seat motors (Track) to go bad at low mileage. Just saying
Old 12/11/15, 02:06 PM

Thanks, David. Yup, my Driver's-side broke at 10k miles, now Passenger-side at 20k miles. Ridiculous. But for me to have the ExtraCARE extended warranty, and for it to be listed as 'power seat motors', and NOT be covered, is beyond ridiculous. It is WRONG to treat a customer this way. My next step is Small Claims Court...I can' wait.
Old 12/16/15, 08:37 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Well, so far, Hillbilly is right. Ford will NOT cover this item. What total B.S. I've had so many little problems with this car. And now Ford chooses not to make this right. Deysha, thanks, but nothing has been done. I will NEVER purchase another Ford product as long as I am on this earth. NEVER. You guys don't stand behind what you sell. And good-bye. You just lost a customer for life, congrats.
I understand where you're coming from, PJRManagement. Thank you for the update.

Deysha
Old 12/28/15, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok sad news... The agent Kelly from FoMoCo extension 77762 today gave me the worst news a dedicatd Ford owner and a Mustang enthusiast could hear. First off she really did not have a very customer comes first attitude. I work for Apple and this is something we would never do for our customers especially if we damaged their product in or out of warranty. Second she brushed me off as if i wanted to leach or get something free from ford. I am only 1320 Miles over my warranty, and i could not get an "exception" because i am a subsequent owner of my car which ford sold me as new 3 month old and 4400miles on the dial.. Well excuse me if i did not know that... It needs a seat motor and gears repair kit, a $375 part, and not to mention that 8 of my family members own Fords... 2 Mustsngs, bunch of explorers and taurus cars + I am part of a biggest Arizona Mustang club members which consist of 120+ and know coast to coast leaders and other club members who will know about this... I asked my service manager at this local dealer to see if they will do something for me otherwise i will go to social media and be vocal on this. Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and few mustang forums will know about how ford treated me. Sad part is, they broke it! I am **** out of luck, and no one will do **** about it it seems... I want to provide feedback on that agent. We will see what happens tomorrow, not to mention that i took my car in for the 2nd time for a rear end noise. Oh and i researched that ford does cover the motor in warranty.... My car is 30 month old.... Never again will i take my car to a dealer for simple service, and i regret doing it... #ford #mustang #moddedstangsofarizona #allfordmustangs
Old 1/16/16, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad I am the only driver of my GT with the comfort package. I think my seats are only moved when I vacuum her floors.
Old 1/16/16, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by redneb
Glad I am the only driver of my GT with the comfort package. I think my seats are only moved when I vacuum her floors.
---
Same here. I'm 160 lbs, seats are rarely moved, ever. My 2011 GT needed new Driver's side motor/gears/seat-track assembly at 10k miles! That was repaired under basic warranty. My son is 60 lbs, then the Passenger's side needed same motor/gears/seat-track assembly at 20k miles! I have extended warranty ExtraCARE Plan. Now not covered - plan only lists 'power seat motors'. Here's the rub, you can't just replace the motor(s), it's all one big connected unit. Are you kidding me, Ford?
Old 1/17/16, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a similar indecent happen with a Taurus a few years back. I bought the car with 33,000 miles on it at a auction. The tranny started slipping at 34,500 miles, so I took it to the dealership to see if there was a recall or TSB. I was told NO TSB...NO RECALL. I eventually had the tranny rebuilt at 38,000 miles, it cost $1200.00. A few months later I got a letter from Ford explaining that the dealer we went to reported that my car had a transmission problem and they had recently started a recall for the problem. The letter said that my car may be past the 36,000 miles and they included a $1400.00 check!!!

The letter went on to say that I can use the money to get my tranny fixed or i can have a dealership fix it. They said if I cash the check then Ford no longer has any obligation to repair the problem.

This is the way we should be treated by Ford dealerships!!
MustangLady322 (1/12/21)
Old 1/18/16, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAM DENIED! What a non friendly experience... Thats the last time i do any business with any of them... I asked for a manger for a CSM manager guess he was just reading a script... Oh well my loss, out of pocket to fix my god **** seat. + The dash is still squeaking...
Old 1/24/16, 07:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
PJR,

You mention that the power seat motor failed, but then you say the dealer said the motor itself is not broken.
So what's actually failing in your car?
What are the symptoms?

If the seat isn't moving anymore, that would be the motor usually, which, if the dealer runs the part coverage query using the base part number for the motor itself, should be covered by the warranty you have.

If they blame the track itself, that may be different.
I no longer have access to that site since I'm not an Advisor anymore.

Another thing: if you're a regular customer of that dealer, and not just going in with an attitude for warranty repairs, but going in for regular maintenance, you can ask the Service Manager for after-warranty assistance, which is dealer self-approved coverage, and they can cover as little or as much of the repair as they want. Dealers get a budget from Ford that they can spend as they see fit, and if not used it goes away, so it needs to go somewhere. Also, after-warranty assistance doesn't get counted against their warranty numbers, so they really have no reason to deny it, other than the budget might be used up or they simply don't think you're worth pleasing.
Old 1/24/16, 12:23 PM

Hi Gabe. Thanks for the info. So, the seat moves normally forward and back. And the front-bottom moves up and down. It's the back-bottom that does not move. It makes a groaning noise, but no movement. The dealer says the motor is fine, but the gears/track are bad. I find this hard to believe, since the other four movements are working. Same exact failure on my Driver's-side at 10k miles. Now Passenger's-side at 20k miles. As mentioned before, very low miles, the seat is rarely moved, and I weigh only 160lbs, and my son weighs only 60lbs. It's a part failure, not user error. Apparently, ExtraCARE extended warranty only covers 'power seat motor'. So the dealer and FoMoCo are denying this coverage. I escalated to the dealer Service Manager, he flat out said 'no'. In fact he was quite rude. I've been in communication with the much nicer and smarter General Manager of the same dealer. We are working something out. I'll post up my results when completed.
Old 1/24/16, 02:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
They need to just code the repair to the power seat motor part number and Ford will cover the repair.
ESP repairs are also not counted toward their warranty numbers, so I really don't understand why the Service Mgr is being a douche, it's money to him and the dealership, and a happy customer in the end.
Old 1/24/16, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gabe
They need to just code the repair to the power seat motor part number and Ford will cover the repair.
ESP repairs are also not counted toward their warranty numbers, so I really don't understand why the Service Mgr is being a douche, it's money to him and the dealership, and a happy customer in the end.
---
^+1
Thanks, Gabe, your are most correct, sir. I tried this, as well. Change the # in the computer to the 'covered' part, and we're all set. 'Douche' is an understatement. They would not consider it. Service Adviser and Service Manager only know how to punch a number into a computer, they know squat about actual service and repairs. And I told them as much. I'm making head-way with the GM of the dealer, so I see a glimmer of light at the end of this annoyingly long tunnel...
Thanks for your insight and help.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT extended warranty - ITEMS NOT COVERED