Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

GT Premium Front Speakers Replacement

Old 10/18/13, 06:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT Premium Front Speakers Replacement

Would be interested in feedback/suggestions for replacing the front 5x7 speaker and 8 inch subwoofer in 2014 GT Premium.

Parameters:
1. New iDatalink MUS1 Dash Kit (on order)
2. Kenwood DNX 890HD
3. Would prefer not to replace AMP - but - open to suggestions (focus is the speakers). Do not want to run wires to the battery or trunk...
4. Do not want component speakers - just straight replace what is there with a little to no modification as possible (no dremel tools!).
5. Budget is flexible - would like to keep it south of $600
6. Old guy - so - do not need it loud or a lot of bass. Prefer nice clean sound - main goal is to replace cheap factory with good to very good aftermarket speakers. Typically listen old/classic rock on radio (local and Sirius) - sometimes from iPhone.

Appreciate any and all suggestions so I can narrow it down on what to focus on when I go to listen at audio store and then make a selection.

Thanks!
Old 10/18/13, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the doors I would look at something like these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA6...TS-A6885R.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSD6...TS-D6802R.html

They range from $80 to $150 a pair depending on what you're doing. Either set will be a big upgrade over stock, I think the $150 pair will sound more natural all-in-all, but a lot of Mustang guys use these speakers and love them.

For the 8" subs in the doors, Kicker makes these for Mustangs that are a direct replacement for Shaker systems:

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/ka-8-woofer.htm

They're also $150, but they are the proper weird impedence and fit in the shallow mounting locations.

If you go with another set of 8" subwoofers, make sure they are very shallow mount. Not all shallow mounts will fit, as I just found out -- I got a set of JL 8w1v2 8" subs that are the right depth, but the baskets are so big that they rub on the weird angles of the stock inner door panel waveguide.

The stock 8" subs in the doors are DVC 1.8ohm subs, so if you replace them with something other than the Kickers, make sure you get a dual voice coil 2ohm sub so that it will work with the stock amp. Anything else, you will have to either do some custom wiring or buy an amp, it doesn't sound like you want to do either.

Or Shelby sells this upgrade kit as a whole kit if you just don't want to mess around with piecing it together: http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/kic-s.htm
Old 10/18/13, 08:47 PM

I was under the impression that the premium '13 and '14s have a component set in the door and need a bracket in order to use 5x7 or 6x8s.
Old 10/18/13, 10:23 PM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Strayshot
I was under the impression that the premium '13 and '14s have a component set in the door and need a bracket in order to use 5x7 or 6x8s.
Yes, you do need the adapters for the premium cars. I have a 2014 premium V6 and had to use the adapters when I replaced my speakers. Made a world of difference.

"The '13 has a modular component set up which can't be used with aftermarket speakers. The Ford part nbrs for the spacers are;
4R3Z18B947AA - Right Side Door
4R3Z18B947BA - Left Side (Driver) Door"

Last edited by DJ2014; 10/18/13 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10/19/13, 10:20 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by DJ2014
Yes, you do need the adapters for the premium cars. I have a 2014 premium V6 and had to use the adapters when I replaced my speakers. Made a world of difference.

"The '13 has a modular component set up which can't be used with aftermarket speakers. The Ford part nbrs for the spacers are;
4R3Z18B947BA - Left Side (Driver) Door"
Thanks for the heads up on the spacers and part numbers DJ2014! Would hate to get it taken apart and not have all parts on hand. Any issues with wiring to the aftermarket speakers? Or - straightforward?

What replacement speakers did you go with? Sounds like it was a big improvement.

Lots of good reviews on the Pioneer TS-D6802R. Thanks for the speaker suggestions zbrewha863. Am checking those out.
Old 10/19/13, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zbrewha863
Are these plug in and play? Would someone be so kindly to post the adapter needed for a '11 w/500? I will spend $150 if they are good speakers.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 10/19/13, 10:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Are these plug in and play? Would someone be so kindly to post the adapter needed for a '11 w/500? I will spend $150 if they are good speakers.

Thanks,
Matthew
Crutchfield includes the adapters for free.
Old 10/21/13, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I ordered the Pioneer TS-D6802R's today off ebay. $64 for the speakers, and $8 for the adapters. Should get here Friday and due to work will have to wait till next Wednesday to install. Will report back.

Weird I know but if anyone wants stock speakers for free let me know. If not they will get thrown away.

Matthew
Old 10/21/13, 12:24 PM

Well I ordered the Pioneer TS-D6802R's today off ebay. $64 for the speakers, and $8 for the adapters. Should get here Friday and due to work will have to wait till next Wednesday to install. Will report back. Weird I know but if anyone wants stock speakers for free let me know. If not they will get thrown away. Matthew
You'll really love those speakers. I put the same ones in a few years back. They sound great with all kinds of music. Way better than stock.
Old 10/21/13, 01:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2014DIB
Typically listen old/classic rock on radio (local and Sirius) - sometimes from iPhone.
I have a 2014 GT Premium too, and I sometimes listen to the same sort of music. I was somewhat disappointed at the sound system for the first couple of weeks of owning the car, but I had been listening exclusively to Sirius radio. The first time I played my smartphone's Amazon mp3 player over the car's Bluetooth connection, I was blown away by how much better it sounded.

Part of the problem with our cars' Shaker audio system is that it just has those two simple Bass and Treble controls, which don't allow anywhere near enough flexibility in equalization to maximize the sound in that car. My Amazon player has a built-in preset equalizer modes, and once I set that to the Rock mode, it made the stereo sound 100% better.

An mp3 player with even more manually-adjustable equalization controls would be even better, but I haven't found one yet that the car's SYNC AppLink will recognize properly.

Of course this discussion is all moot if you're just going to be listening to Sirius, unless you use the Sirius app for smartphones. That's assuming you even have a smartphone of course.

That's not to say that you won't get better sound with aftermarket speakers though--I'm sure that you will, and I may upgrade too one of these days. It's just that the radio itself really limits what can be sent out to the speakers, due to those dumb tone controls.
Old 10/21/13, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I ordered the Pioneer TS-D6802R's today off ebay. $64 for the speakers, and $8 for the adapters. Should get here Friday and due to work will have to wait till next Wednesday to install. Will report back.

Weird I know but if anyone wants stock speakers for free let me know. If not they will get thrown away.

Matthew
I installed those. It's night and day compared to stock. Now you have to fix all the rattling from the door panels -_-
Old 10/21/13, 06:09 PM
V6 Member

Ordered the TS-D6802R's from Amazon for the fronts - and right and left adapters from Tousley. Could not believe the price diff between Amazon and Crutch for the speakers! WOW! Did order the speaker adapters from Crutch though to insure correct polarity.

Think I will leave the 8" mid base/subs alone for now - especially since trying to stay with factory amp. Might tackle those down the road. With the ability to equalize with the DNX890HD (agree Lothar - just treble and bass probably severely limits the spectrum) hoping that I get enough bass for what I need (which is not a lot) and nice clear mid's/high's from the new Pioneer's.

iDatalink Dash Kit arrives tomorrow.

Now - just need a good sale to pop on the Kenwood HU (and will have to add Maestro RR and SiriusXM SXV200 as well). Wait till holiday's...???
Old 10/21/13, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I run the Pioneer YS A6885r's and I think they sound great. I still have my shaker 500 in, but I will be doing the Maestro kit as well with probably the 890 or the other above it in my Shelby. I left the subs alone as they are already pretty decent for a sub
Old 10/22/13, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rando
I installed those. It's night and day compared to stock. Now you have to fix all the rattling from the door panels -_-
Are you talking about something rattling when the window is all the way down? I get a HUGE rattling sound when I hit a bump with the window down, sounds like the window is bouncing around inside the door .

And thanks for the suggestions on the speakers guys! Any tips for dismantling the door?

Matthew
Old 10/22/13, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Any tips for dismantling the door?
This section of the service manual should show you all you need to know. It's not particularly difficult to dismantle--just a lot of steps:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1062&viewfi...im%20Panel.pdf
Old 10/22/13, 10:43 AM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014DIB
Thanks for the heads up on the spacers and part numbers DJ2014! Would hate to get it taken apart and not have all parts on hand. Any issues with wiring to the aftermarket speakers? Or - straightforward?

What replacement speakers did you go with? Sounds like it was a big improvement.

Lots of good reviews on the Pioneer TS-D6802R. Thanks for the speaker suggestions zbrewha863. Am checking those out.
I installed the Infinity 6832CF's and they are a huge improvement over the junk stock speakers. I still have to install the rear deck speakers. I'm still waiting on how to take the back deck off without removing the side panels.
Old 10/27/13, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, you do need the adapters for the premium cars.

Please help clarify a bit of confusion here. I've read a number of threads where someone has installed the Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers in the front door of a '13-14 and it was "plug-and-play."

I have a '14 GT Premium with the Shaker 500 and was hoping to replace the front door speakers with the TS-D6802R. Other than the speaker wiring harness, do I need anything else to install the speakers, or will they bolt right up to the existing location?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 10/27/13, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
Yes, you do need the adapters for the premium cars.

Please help clarify a bit of confusion here. I've read a number of threads where someone has installed the Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers in the front door of a '13-14 and it was "plug-and-play."

I have a '14 GT Premium with the Shaker 500 and was hoping to replace the front door speakers with the TS-D6802R. Other than the speaker wiring harness, do I need anything else to install the speakers, or will they bolt right up to the existing location?

Thanks,
Pete
Sir you will need the adapter/spacers that are talked about on page 1 of this thread. I have '14 with shaker 500 and needed them when I installed mines.
Old 10/27/13, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Replacing the 13-14 premium speakers is "plug and play" but you will need the adapters mentioned previously. They bolt up between your new speakers and the OEM retention bracket. Sounds like you're already familiar with the pigtail adapters for the speakers themselves. Good luck with your install!
Old 10/27/13, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sir you will need the adapter/spacers that are talked about on page 1 of this thread. I have '14 with shaker 500 and needed them when I installed mines.

Thanks. Just to be sure, you are referring to the spacers mentioned above:
4R3Z18B947BA - Left Side (Driver) Door

So the Pioneers will fit if I purchase the spacers listed above?

Thanks again,
Pete

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT Premium Front Speakers Replacement