Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding the OEM nav

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/15, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm glad that you found us. I no longer have faith in what the service and parts guys say. We now live in an age were the owner is likely to know more about his/her car than the dealer.

To add heated seats is not hard, but is quite a bit of extra work. You can buy the OEM heated seat pads, but they are not cheap. You could try ebay. I got most of my pads from Ebay for my 05. If you are not into custom wiring, then you will need to buy the entire body harness (part number at the begining of this thread). Since you are putting in dual zone, your dash and center console have to come out along with all forward trim. It is not much more work to just take out the rest of the interior trim anyway. Seats are held in by only 4 bolts. You will remove the seat covers and the pads then go in with an adhesive (don't remember which) onto the foam. Put covers back on, plug it all in, and you now have heated seats!

On my car, I already had heated seats, and parking sensors. I added the nav, rear camera, the newer 13/14 gauge cluster (with the LCD computer screen in the middle), heated mirrors and the pony projector lights. If you are willing to put in the effort, you can set up your car the way you like.
Old 1/18/15, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll likely do it in parts. I'll get the nav system with the backup sensors and camera put in first since that will likely be a bit of work and wiring from the rear to the front.

It's a real shame those guys at the dealership are not that versed on things. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has asked about adding this.
Old 1/30/15, 11:45 AM

Trying to add NAV

I have a base '14 V6 MT with Performance Package. From looking at this thread, in it's entirety, it looks as if this should not be a problem. I have contacted a local wrecker who has Nav systems available, however, they are asking for a radio ID of my original. I have explained that I am doing an upgrade and not a replace, and that I would need all pieces to the system and not just the display and faceplate unit. They are asking if my ID is either a ER3T or DR3T? Is that info pertinent? How do I find out which mine is? or is this the part number for the NAV system, one being with camera, one being without?

Thanks for the input.
Old 1/31/15, 09:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What year is the nav from?
Old 1/31/15, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SSG Steggy
I have a base '14 V6 MT with Performance Package. From looking at this thread, in it's entirety, it looks as if this should not be a problem. I have contacted a local wrecker who has Nav systems available, however, they are asking for a radio ID of my original. I have explained that I am doing an upgrade and not a replace, and that I would need all pieces to the system and not just the display and faceplate unit. They are asking if my ID is either a ER3T or DR3T? Is that info pertinent? How do I find out which mine is? or is this the part number for the NAV system, one being with camera, one being without?

Thanks for the input.
DR3T = 2013
ER3T = 2014

The first letter is the year (A=2010,B=2011,C=2012, etc)

LEXiiON
Old 2/18/15, 05:37 PM
V6 Member

Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not getting an ACM from a car without heated seats has any effect on putting it in one that does have them? I have a control panel with the heated seat switches already, I just want to make sure that the ACM isn't going to render them useless if I get one from a car that didn't have them. Thanks.
Old 2/22/15, 02:44 PM
V6 Member

After looking into it more, it seems that people are saying it "might" work, but nobody has tried it or can verify from what I can tell. Thinking I am going to just pass on this ACM and hope another one pops up that will work for me.
Old 2/22/15, 09:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by forceflow2
Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not getting an ACM from a car without heated seats has any effect on putting it in one that does have them? I have a control panel with the heated seat switches already, I just want to make sure that the ACM isn't going to render them useless if I get one from a car that didn't have them. Thanks.
The heated seats are controlled through the module which the heated seat buttons are connected to and not the ACM. You should be fine. But you do need the heated seat buttons, as it cannot be turned on through the nav screen. And if it doesn't work, 4dtech can get it working for you.

Last edited by jim010; 2/22/15 at 09:36 PM.
Old 2/23/15, 09:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
The heated seats are controlled through the module which the heated seat buttons are connected to and not the ACM. You should be fine. But you do need the heated seat buttons, as it cannot be turned on through the nav screen. And if it doesn't work, 4dtech can get it working for you.
Awesome. I do have the heated seat buttons on the control panel so that should be fine since I've never used the touch screen for HVAC controls on any car I have had it in when physical buttons are available. If there's the option to reprogram it in case I care in the future, all the better. Thanks yet again, Jim!
Old 3/15/15, 12:21 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there any distinct differences between the receivers in 11-14 navigation wise? Is any year better than the next?
Old 3/18/15, 07:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Kona12GT
Is there any distinct differences between the receivers in 11-14 navigation wise? Is any year better than the next?
The only major difference I am aware of is that the 13/14 receivers support Sync Apps, while the 11/12 do not.
Old 3/20/15, 07:54 PM
GT Member

I am close to doing this swap. Already have the screen, ACM, faceplate and the dash harness is on order. Waiting on the other harnesses until I get the dash harness in to make sure they are not included. I was wondering if anyone has a write up on how to add the rear camera without changing the body harness?
Old 3/26/15, 09:42 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! Have now been watching this thread for a while and finally taking the leap.
I just re-read the entire thread and still have concerns/ questions -I apologize if it has been addressed.

My car is a 2010 (bastard year with different tach/ speedo etc.) I have found a donor car which is a 2011. I have spoken to the guy who is parting out the 11 and he is allowing me to pull the dash in order to remove the radio/ HVAC etc.
If I take the dash wiring harness out of the 11 will I be able to plug it into my 10 body wiring harness?
I would be unable to remove the body wiring harness as mine is a vert and his is a coupe.
Now getting back to the instrument cluster. Will the 2010 cluster work with the 2011 harness?
Thanks
Carl
Old 3/28/15, 04:13 PM

I did the Dash Harness install in my 2014 Mustang Base GT. Anyone know how to get the SYNC microphone to work? I do not have one, nor did I have SYNC prior to the Dash Harness install. I can hear the SYNC when I press the SYNC button, but how can I wire the factory MIC or an aftermarket MIC up? Any help would be appreciated. Is the harness that goes to the light console with built in MIC, is that part of the Body Harness? And already on the MAIN BODY Harness? Thanks
I had to add the AMP on the drivers kick panel, sound seems OK, Im waiting for the Control Panel to arrive on Tuesday, cant control much without it installed. Also wiring for radio is extremely short with no play in the wires.
Old 3/28/15, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those interested in this sort of project, I have a donor (race) car all of the required bits can come out of.
Old 3/28/15, 06:54 PM

What year Mustang and I am assuming with the Navigation
Old 3/28/15, 09:46 PM
GT Member

Does anyone have a good set of instructions on how to wire an external amp after doing this swap? I bought an Alpine KTP-445 to install once I get this swap done and a little confused on which wires to connect it to. Any help would be appreciated on wiring and best place to put the amp so the wires are not run all over the dash. Thanks.
Old 3/28/15, 09:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
For those interested in this sort of project, I have a donor (race) car all of the required bits can come out of.
What year and are you trying to sell it all as a complete setup? What parts do you actually have? What options on the car? Rear camera....heated seats...etc?
Old 3/30/15, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GT car, (no heated seats, yes to rearview camera) most recent updates, complete setup (though the body harness I might have to break apart the stereo bits -racecar, so I can remove all of it without harm)

By complete I mean down to the door panels, the kicker speakers I used, and harnesses, sirius tuner, antenna, microphone, etc. See my post in the forsale section on this site or PM me for more info.
Old 4/9/15, 08:07 PM
GT Member

Add one more 2012 GT to the Nav upgrade list....woohoo. I was actually able to pull the dash by myself, I just used a couple of blankets to cover things up. The hardest part was wiring the alpine KTP-445U amp to get the sound working....what a pain trying to find all the wires....lol.

I do have a popping noise from the speakers now. It only pops about 5 seconds after shutting off the radio. That is the only time it happens, does not do it when turning on. Does anyone have any ideas? I think it is coming from the subs, because it was doing it before I got any of the other speakers to work.

Quick Reply: Adding the OEM nav