Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding the OEM nav

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/14, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not yet, I always buy one for whatever car I have as I tend to hang onto cars for at least 10 years. You have any good suggestions or know of any online copies?

I'm good with the job, just know its a lot of being careful as not to break tabs or gouge things. My biggest fear is putting it back together and having a squeak! Drove a Corolla rental with 9k miles last week for work and that **** dash sounded like a cricket farm.

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Its actually pretty easy. Do you have the service manual?

-Matt
Old 11/17/14, 01:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried a couple of dealerships around my area and contacted Tousley/whatever they are now, and nobody was very useful. The dealerships (which I didn't have high hopes for because every time I go to one they have been useless for even the simplest stuff) didn't have any clue what dash harness I needed (one said that any of the part numbers would work, it's just different revisions. I have no idea how true that is.) and Tousley has so far ignored my emails/online form contacts. I can try giving them a call at some point, but I really don't have the time to sit on the phone discussing it during their business hours. I'd try on Saturday, but I am going to be either on planes or out of town for those days for the next few weeks. Does anyone have any other ideas or know of a way I can look up the part myself?
Old 11/17/14, 02:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by WordySanchez
Not yet, I always buy one for whatever car I have as I tend to hang onto cars for at least 10 years. You have any good suggestions or know of any online copies?

I'm good with the job, just know its a lot of being careful as not to break tabs or gouge things. My biggest fear is putting it back together and having a squeak! Drove a Corolla rental with 9k miles last week for work and that **** dash sounded like a cricket farm.
You could just get your dealer to print off the dash removal instructions.
Old 11/17/14, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by forceflow2
I tried a couple of dealerships around my area and contacted Tousley/whatever they are now, and nobody was very useful. The dealerships (which I didn't have high hopes for because every time I go to one they have been useless for even the simplest stuff) didn't have any clue what dash harness I needed (one said that any of the part numbers would work, it's just different revisions. I have no idea how true that is.) and Tousley has so far ignored my emails/online form contacts. I can try giving them a call at some point, but I really don't have the time to sit on the phone discussing it during their business hours. I'd try on Saturday, but I am going to be either on planes or out of town for those days for the next few weeks. Does anyone have any other ideas or know of a way I can look up the part myself?
When I call Tousley, they are quite helpful. But I found that there are different part numbers for the dash harness depending on how the car was equipped. You could use the part number I supplied, as it has heated seats, camera and what not.

I too have had issues with the dealers not being helpful. I end up calling a few different ones each time. Eventually I get someone that can help me. But call Tousley. They were always useful when I talk to them.
Old 11/17/14, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WordySanchez

Sent ya a PM...

-Matt
Old 11/18/14, 09:04 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
When I call Tousley, they are quite helpful. But I found that there are different part numbers for the dash harness depending on how the car was equipped. You could use the part number I supplied, as it has heated seats, camera and what not.

I too have had issues with the dealers not being helpful. I end up calling a few different ones each time. Eventually I get someone that can help me. But call Tousley. They were always useful when I talk to them.
Thanks, I will try to find some time to call them, just wish they had responded to my emails in the first place. Likely won't have time for the next few weeks though, unless something changes. I'll let you guys know how it's going. Thanks again for the help and such a great thread.
Old 11/19/14, 03:50 PM
V6 Member

Hey all,

A friend contacted me about a harness he found at a local junkyard, but the car is a manual and does not have a rear camera (which I do, although it is to the mirror and the ACM I got was programmed for it, but I don't mind it going black in reverse). It has the heated seats and everything else though (in fact, except for the manual and nav, it's basically the exact same build as my car), and the build date of the car is fairly close to mine. (The major other parts of the nav system, screen/control panel/etc. had already been pulled and apparently were awaiting pickup)

Is it a fair bet that this might work with my car (assuming the harness is still functional)? The price (including my friend shipping it to me) is such that even if the harness itself is broken, it wouldn't be too bad. I just don't know what exactly the harness connects and how these differences might affect it. Thanks all!
Old 11/20/14, 08:27 AM

I picked up a rear camera spoiler with the camera. I have just finished doing the wiring for the back up camera. Tested it and works good - picture on the nav works.

The spoiler is being painted this weekend. The regular spoiler can't be used. Removing the 2 sided tape was a real PITA.

This is not plug and play, though. I had to do the wiring and insert pins into the connectors. Happy with the result, though. I now have now made my car into a fully loaded Premium.
Hey, Jim--I just bought a new 2014 Mustang GT Premium that has the NAV already from the factory, but it doesn't have the rearview camera . . . I'd like to add it, and based on that fact, would you think that adding it would be as simple as just adding the new spoiler with camera, or do you think there might be more to it than that?

In other words, do you think that the wiring is already there in the trunk, and all I'd have to do is just plug in the camera?
Old 11/20/14, 12:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by stonecoldtx
Hey, Jim--I just bought a new 2014 Mustang GT Premium that has the NAV already from the factory, but it doesn't have the rearview camera . . . I'd like to add it, and based on that fact, would you think that adding it would be as simple as just adding the new spoiler with camera, or do you think there might be more to it than that?

In other words, do you think that the wiring is already there in the trunk, and all I'd have to do is just plug in the camera?
I don't think the wiring is there from the trunk to the dash harness. But it may be. Check on the trunk. Take off the inside trim on the inside of the trunk. If there is a unused pigtail there, then it is plug and play. If not, you will have to add it yourself. Not a big deal, though. I can guide you through it.
Old 11/21/14, 07:16 PM
V6 Member

Hi all,

I went ahead and got my friend to pick up the harness so that will be on the way soon and received my control panel, screen, and my extra ACM. The ACM I will be using was delayed due to weather so that'll come later. One thing I noticed is that the screen didn't come with any screws. Are the screws for the screen the same as the ones used by the non-nav screen or do I need to pick some up? Looking around, it seems that the part number for the screws is W705314S424 and they are priced at ~$6-8 each? That doesn't seem right. Anyone know? I'd like to place as few orders as I can to cut down on shipping.

Thanks!
Old 11/21/14, 07:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You can reuse the screws already in there.
Old 11/29/14, 05:32 PM

Hey guys, first post (mostly a lurker/search junkie). I bought a complete setup from a 2012 but I have a 2014. Its a base model with literally nothing on it options wise. It comes with the Sync module, wiring, and map light assembly (mic?) as well as all nav components. My question is, after skimming this thread I noticed using the 2012 harness on my 2014 is not recommended. My concern is that I want to add the SYNC as well and I've heard the 14 is different wiring than the 2012 I got everything from. Would you recommend just using the 12 harness and hoping it all works? Also I thought I read the 2013 and 14 don't need an audio amp as its already built in. My car has no amps and it just has the plate with studs in the drivers kick panel. The setup I have coming has that amp as well as one for the trunk. I guess in all this rambling what I'm getting at is should I order the 2014 dash harness and risk SYNC not working just so I don't have to mess with the trunk amp and body harness (def. out on making my own harness), or plug up all the 12 stuff and the drivers kick panel amp and hope it works? hoping someone has looked into this. Only electronic mod to the car thus far is a track apps lcd gauge cluster swap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don't mind buying the harness, or even taking the dash out twice to try the 2012 harness in the 2014, but I really want to get SYNC and nav out of this with functioning sound. Thanks in advance guys!-Steve

edit: I also have a clone VCM II tool if any sort of programming has to be enabled in my as built data. Thanks again

Last edited by highpsi615; 11/29/14 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11/29/14, 06:12 PM

Also, to update my post above, I purchased the 2014 nav dash harness as well just a few minutes ago. Do any of you guys think the sync from a 2012 and the Shaker 500 drivers kick panel amp will get me fully functioning? Thanks!-Steve
Old 12/1/14, 12:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not sure about the Sync module, but I imagine that is should work. You will need the proper steering wheel buttons and the harness for it that goes from the switch to the clockspring. I don't think anything needs to be programmed, but maybe the PCM?

To be on the safe side, you would get the 14 harness and amps. I don't really know what the differences are without looking att he wiring diagrams. I can look tonight.

Only way to find out is to plug it all in and see what happens.

Last edited by jim010; 12/1/14 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12/1/14, 05:43 PM

Not sure about the Sync module, but I imagine that is should work. You will need the proper steering wheel buttons and the harness for it that goes from the switch to the clockspring. I don't think anything needs to be programmed, but maybe the PCM?

To be on the safe side, you would get the 14 harness and amps. I don't really know what the differences are without looking att he wiring diagrams. I can look tonight.

Only way to find out is to plug it all in and see what happens.
Jim, thanks for checking into it for me. I'm going to use the 14 harness when it comes in. Can any 13-14 owners confirm that the Shaker amp in the drivers kick panel as all they have installed with working sound? Re-reading the thread I saw supposedly 13 and 14 owners don't need additional amps but they never specified what was equipped before. Is the 2012 Nav internally amped like the base radio and the kick panel amp for door subs? Also pending the sync works, would it take a floor harness to get the USB in my center console or only some type of cable and the usb switch panel located in the console? This is kind of ballooning into an expensive (yet very interesting) project. The reason for my base GT purchase is that I bought when the 14's were being stupidly marked down right before the 15's shipped. I traded a fully loaded 2011 Premium on it. I bought the color I wanted, but it was as base as one could get. Figured retrofits are far cheaper than a full repaint. Thanks again for any help!-Steve

Edit: I will also keep my progress updated on this. I'm sure some base owners will have an interest in my venture. Surprisingly I'm not too bad in this so far. (approx 1200.00) which would not be bad at all to add Nav,Shaker, and Sync to a car that never had them pending it all works.

Last edited by highpsi615; 12/1/14 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12/1/14, 05:56 PM

And for reference I am using dash harness number- ER3Z-14401-KA as ordered by Vin from a 14 Roush I found on Ebay. That car did not have heated seats or Shaker Pro, not sure on backup camera (I would assume).I had quite a time cold calling parts dept's and getting anyone willing to help me on a generic look up. Perhaps this will help someone in the future.-Steve
Old 12/1/14, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am not seeing anything in the diagrams that show a trunk mounted amp (other than the Shaker Pro amp). I am seeing the amp in the driver's side kick panel for the Shaker.

I will post the diagrams later when I have a moment.

You don't have heated seats? If you do, it is a simple matter of getting the panels with the heated seat buttons, that's all.

To get to a premium equipped car, $1200 is pretty good.
Old 12/1/14, 08:42 PM

I am not seeing anything in the diagrams that show a trunk mounted amp (other than the Shaker Pro amp). I am seeing the amp in the driver's side kick panel for the Shaker.

I will post the diagrams later when I have a moment.

You don't have heated seats? If you do, it is a simple matter of getting the panels with the heated seat buttons, that's all.

To get to a premium equipped car, $1200 is pretty good.
Thats promising about the amp. Hopefully a 2012 Shaker kick panel amp plugs in as well as functions with a 2014 harness. I'm a Honda technician by trade and in my experience those type of things "usually" interchange over a model run of cars, of course that means nothing on a Ford. I guess thats why I coughed up the money for a 14 harness. Just really hoping for the wiring in the headliner and all the Sync components to work. With the model changes module and wiring wise that will prob be a nightmare. Im very confident the nav will work, but the real concern is the Sync and volume level of the audio functioning after. Also, I don't have heated seats. My car started with cloth seats without power. I've installed new leather take offs on it as one of the first mods I've done. I would love a heated setup sometime in the future but the potential wiring puzzles me. I have heard however that a power conversion (def want) is just a seat base away and the wiring is already there. Thanks again for the encouragement. I guess its just trying it from this point. I know the Sync won't work on the frontside (incorrect buttons). I wish there was a definate steering wheel switch and wiring write up so I don't drop 100's in buttons and Sync modules/possible wiring swaps to get it done. I am really concerned about the slight reading I've done about Sync wiring differences literally changing by the year wether my 2012 components will work with a 2014 harness. I can't even find out for sure if the 2012 map light assembly/mic I have coming is correct for a 14 and are the wires even in my headliner. It may never work!-Steve
Old 12/4/14, 05:16 PM

Minor update. Already off to a bad start. Won't do the actual install until this weekend, but I thought I'd swap the map light assy out and plug up the mic. Didn't work as the 2012 map light assy has a male plug and so does my 2014 roof harness. The stock non sync assembly of course had a female connection. Wiring colors weren't even close either. Not sure I'll even mess with the Sync I guess.
Old 12/5/14, 05:05 PM

Another reference post: 2014 dash harness and 2012 pullout component set. Installed today without removing the dash without much problem. 2012 Shaker amp does not plug into the 2014 harness. Also GPS antennae didn't work on my base car (nothing on the trunk) I think I need to buy a universal antenna and the correct amp. Also my heater controls are backwards. I'm sure I have the correct cable on the 2012 harness included with the kit, just don't know which one it is. Love it so far.

Also on the small branch of the dash harness that goes to the Sync unit I have an extra plug. I have the large locking plug and micro USB to the sync unit, and one connector to the airbag. One remains dangling. Any ideas? Thanks!

Also the nav has the shelby t500 start up screen. Any gurus know how to program it to the mustang running pony?

Quick Reply: Adding the OEM nav