Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

GT500 Spoilers - What is the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/14, 04:08 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT500 Spoilers - What is the difference?

I have been using the search function and there is a lot of good information on here. Thank you for that.
However...
I still don't know the full differences on the Stock GT500 Spoiler VS The American Muscle GT500 Spoiler VS The CJ Pony Parts GT500 Spoiler.
So, to help me help you to help me figure out what I don't know...This is what I do know.

Ford GT500 Spoiler Part # AR3Z6344210BB: Just as God...er...Ford intended. And that's just fine. I just don't care if it's Ford brand or not (maybe I should). For me, cost wise it's not in the running and will have to have it painted.
No bonus points awarded. We guarantee it is well made. However, you changing stuff is your problem. Painting it is also your problem.

American Muscle GT500 Spoiler: Painted in house, Sound like a very few were not quite the same color but we don't know the whole story on that (faded car maybe?). Have to drill more holes then the factory spoiler I already have on the Mustang. Will look great when I get my stripes painted on.
Bonus Points for a Great website. Has a presents on this forum.

CJ Pony Parts 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler: So far I haven't found anyone who had a problem with the paint. Early Spoilers had waves in the surface but couldn't find anyone claiming that recently. Bolts right up! No extra holes needed. Has a black fin(? I'm sure there is a proper name for it) on the back of the spoiler that I don't know how I feel about. Good packaging when shipped.
No Bonus Points. Good customer service. Website doesn't work with my logic.

Maybe I'm putting too much in to the relationships I build with people who I buy from. But as of right now, AM and CJ are tied. I'm just not educated enough with this subject to feel confident I'm making the right choice.

Thank you for your help.
I keep reading and rereading this. I'm just going to post it already.

Last edited by HotFrosty; 8/22/14 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Updating Info
Old 8/20/14, 05:07 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I'll chime in here. I have the GT500 replica spoiler on my 2011 GT. Purchased from CJ Pony Parts three years ago. Made by 3dCarbon, pre-painted, $297 including shipping. Color match is 95% good, no one can tell except me. It does have the black strip - called 'Gurney Flap'. This black accent actually looks super, IMO. My vehicle came with the small factory spoiler, and this 3dCarbon spoiler's holes matched exactly - no drilling required. CJPP also has a rewards points program, which is nice. Good luck.
Old 8/20/14, 05:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a few others... like the Seibon: http://www.bmcextremecustoms.net/20fomugtcafi5.html

As PJR informed, the black tip is called a gurney flap, and it's actually functional... supposedly. Google it for details...

Edit: I'd go with the the 3DC at CJPPs and call it a day... GL

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 8/20/14 at 05:51 PM.
Old 8/20/14, 06:06 PM
GT Member

Thank you both for the recommendation!

Copy and pasted from the (mostly) true pages of Wikipedia:

The Gurney Flap (or wickerbill) is a small tab projecting from the trailing edge of a wing. Typically it is set at a right angle to the pressure side surface of the airfoil, and projects 1% to 2% of the wing chord. This trailing edge device can improve the performance of a simple airfoil to nearly the same level as a complex high-performance design.
The device operates by increasing pressure on the pressure side, decreasing pressure on the suction side, and helping the boundary layer flow stay attached all the way to the trailing edge on the suction side of the airfoil.Common applications occur in auto racing, helicopter horizontal stabilizers and aircraft where high lift is essential, such as banner-towing airplanes.

-I feel smarter for knowing this-

Last edited by HotFrosty; 8/20/14 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Making copy paste pretty
Old 8/20/14, 06:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Here's a link with some good info on the GT500 gurney flap: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...e-gurney-flap/
Old 8/21/14, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the 3D carbon I installed 3 years ago and no issues. still love the way it looks and I still can't tell the difference between a real GT500 spoiler and don't care.

I think the color match becomes somewhat of an issue on red and blue cars (due to how much pigment is in those colors or something and they do fade a bit more than other colors)
Old 8/21/14, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HotFrosty
I have been using the search function and there is a lot of good information on here. Thank you for that.
However...
I still don't know the full differences on the Stock GT500 Spoiler VS The American Muscle GT500 Spoiler VS The CJ Pony Parts GT500 Spoiler.
So, to help me help you to help me figure out what I don't know...This is what I do know.

Ford GT500 Spoiler: Just as God...er...Ford intended. And that's just fine. I just don't care if it's Ford brand or not. For me, cost wise it's not in the running and will have to have it painted.
No bonus points awarded. We built the car. Add-ons are your problem.

American Muscle GT500 Spoiler: Painted in house, Sound like a very few were not quite the same color but we don't know the whole story on that (faded car maybe?). Have to drill more holes then the factory spoiler I already have on the Mustang. Will look great when I get my stripes painted on.
Bonus Points for a Great website. Has a presents on this forum.

CJ Pony Parts 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler: So far I haven't found anyone who had a problem with the paint. Early Spoilers had waves in the surface but couldn't find anyone claiming that recently. Bolts right up! No extra holes needed. Has a black fin(? I'm sure there is a proper name for it) on the back of the spoiler that I don't know how I feel about. Good packaging when shipped.
Loss of Bonus Point for website & Not much going on in this forum.

Maybe I'm putting too much in to the relationships I build with people who I buy from. But as of right now, AM and CJ are tied. I'm just not educated enough with this subject to feel confident I'm making the right choice.

Thank you for your help.
I keep reading and rereading this. I'm just going to post it already.
Hey Frosty,

You're going to love the GT500 Spoiler! I'm a big fan of this look. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the options you listed. I would also check out the MMD Ducktail Spoiler. That Spoiler looks exactly like the GT500 Spoiler but is a little more aggressive! Still Pre-Painted in house with Ford OE Colors.

We have a ton of Customer Submitted images on all of these product pages. Definitely check them out and you'll get a good feel for how they should look!

Hope this helps. Let me know if we can be of any assistance! Also - Thanks for the Bonus points. We appreciate your continued support and I'm glad to hear you enjoy the Site!

-Dan
Old 8/21/14, 12:25 PM
GT Member

Steeltown, That second Link was informative and funny. From that, I'm thinking (even more so) that the Ford spoiler has no great gains over aftermarket. Thanks Much!

Thank you, Bones! I haven't seen any feedback with someone who has a Gotta Have It Green mustang but the color. I'm hoping someone will chime in about that .

Dan, I've seen the ducktail and looked at it again this morning. I'm really liking the GT500 style over the ducktail. Not that it looks bad, just not what I want.
Honestly, I enjoy daydreaming on your website. it's easy to find the stuff I am interested in.
Old 8/21/14, 12:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I've had 3d and OEM... I reviewed and compared both on this forum with pics.
Old 8/21/14, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I recently bought and installed a GT500 style spoiler from AM and I swear I remember it saying it was by 3d Carbon somewhere in the box. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. That being said, it definitely did not need any holes drilled for the installation. It fit right in to the existing holes from the factory spoiler.
Old 8/21/14, 01:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I've had 3d and OEM... I reviewed and compared both on this forum with pics.
I Read your posts and it was very good! it was that third option that third option that is the hang up.

Originally Posted by mustang5o
I recently bought and installed a GT500 style spoiler from AM and I swear I remember it saying it was by 3d Carbon somewhere in the box. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. That being said, it definitely did not need any holes drilled for the installation. It fit right in to the existing holes from the factory spoiler.
The Hole thing is good to know. I like that. I wonder if Dan from AM can confirm that it is a 3dCarbon? I am learning a lot about that brand so that would help.
Did yours have the Gurney flap on the back or not?

Wow! I'm getting excited!
Old 8/21/14, 01:53 PM

AM- gurney flap won't be painted

CJ- gurney flap will be painted as it comes shipped from 3D even though you order from them

OEM- plastic, no need to paint
Old 8/21/14, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mustang5o
If you have a pedestal spoiler then you will have issues with holes not being covered up. Stock spoiler is a direct swap.
Old 8/21/14, 03:35 PM
GT Member

AM- gurney flap won't be painted

CJ- gurney flap will be painted as it comes shipped from 3D even though you order from them

OEM- plastic, no need to paint

Unless I am misunderstanding you, I know you have first hand experience but... is that right?

From the pictures (This is all the research I have) it looks to me as...

AM- Has the painted Gurney flap if one at all. I can't see one on any of the pics from them.

CJ- Has the Flap unpainted. I see that flap in all their pics.

Maybe we just need a bigger hammer to get this through my thick skull?

AH HA! As I was adding pictures guess what I saw in the AM picture code....
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/mustangtuning/3dcarbon-gt500-style-rear-spoiler-pre-painted-10-14-all-33.jpg

Last edited by HotFrosty; 8/21/14 at 03:41 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 8/21/14, 10:04 PM

AM site is deceiving. Notice the customer pics and most all have the flap unpainted.

I do hope I'm wrong as that flap area needs to be flat black regardless of body color.
Old 8/21/14, 10:07 PM

I held my tongue... No offense to other brands, but OEM is hands down better material and quality. I'd choose it over and over having tried all if them.

Yes, you will have to pay a bit more to paint it but it blows the others away in quality. Personally I'd hold out and get the OEM.
Old 8/21/14, 11:04 PM
GT Member

I held my tongue... No offense to other brands, but OEM is hands down better material and quality. I'd choose it over and over having tried all if them.

Yes, you will have to pay a bit more to paint it but it blows the others away in quality. Personally I'd hold out and get the OEM.
I had disregaurded the OEM one but maybe I have to revisit your old post to remember why it is better then the aftermarket choices. Thanks for your insight.
Old 8/22/14, 07:13 AM
Former Vendor

PM sent
Old 8/22/14, 09:03 AM
GT Member

Thank you, Steve. I will get back to you.
Old 8/22/14, 09:54 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts

I went OEM because it's NOT that expensive, around 200. Then i got mine painted locally along with other stuff. They matched it perfectly. I personally only do OEM when possible.

Name:  9e535e3d-0022-473c-99fd-c68f3bb5d324_zps91be5a8c.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  107.4 KB

Quick Reply: GT500 Spoilers - What is the difference?