Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Cutting rear bumper for Boss/GT500/etc valance...tools questions

Old 1/24/15, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cutting rear bumper for Boss/GT500/etc valance...tools questions

So I've got my Boss valance, just looking for some advice on the best way to go about cutting this thing. All I currently have is a sawzall and a dremel. I know the sawzall will butcher it. The dremel I can see working well for the little tabs but being very tedious for the main cut from end to end. I don't have an air compressor at this point. Would a jigsaw work? I've seen some where the head rotates to a sawzall-type arrangement but with the finer blade and control that a jigsaw gives.

Thoughts?
Old 1/24/15, 04:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
I plan on using my 4.5 inch hand held grinder with a cut off wheel when I get mine, basically a Dremel with attitude.
I used the grinder when I did the Roush lower valance and it worked out pretty good.
Old 1/24/15, 06:43 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
There's videos on youtube. I just watched the one CJPP posted the other day. Doesn't look too difficult. I'm just afraid of the whole permanent part of it.
Old 1/24/15, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I used my Milwaukee cordless Hackzall for it. A fine blade of course. Worked like a charm.
LEXiiON
Old 1/25/15, 07:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I tried to use a dremel in my 06's bumper when I installed my chin spoiler. Because of the size of the cutting discs, the short shaft, and the size of the dremel body itself, it was A) very hard to get the dremel into the corners and B) very hard to make a consistently straight cut.

if your bumper is anything like mine, I don't think the jigsaw will really work either. the only time I've ever used a jigsaw was yesterday, but just based on that, I don't think the blades are going to be long enough for you to get in there.

a grinder with a cutting wheel or a hand saw would probably be the way I'd go
Old 1/25/15, 07:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
There's videos on youtube. I just watched the one CJPP posted the other day. Doesn't look too difficult. I'm just afraid of the whole permanent part of it.
I ran across that yesterday actually. Pretty straight forward. For me it's more about tooling since a body saw isn't really an option due to lack of air.

I generally shy away from permanent mods as well, so I share your fears. But this one just looks so much better and has the look I'm going for on my car. Even if you butcher the cutting, the valance hides it all. So I finally decided just to go for it.
Old 1/25/15, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
used this on my 13 rear bumper to prep for the boss diffuser. Worked like a charm. Make sure you have extra blades because they get gunked up with the plastic and become useless.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electri...saw-65766.html
Old 1/26/15, 07:41 AM
V6 Member

I just picked up a set of GT500 quad axlebacks and will be installing the GT500 valence. It looks pretty straightforward. My plan is to use my dremel unless I can get something better.
Old 1/26/15, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
used this on my 13 rear bumper to prep for the boss diffuser. Worked like a charm. Make sure you have extra blades because they get gunked up with the plastic and become useless.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electri...saw-65766.html
Thanks for the link!
Old 1/26/15, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubbasuwannee
I just picked up a set of GT500 quad axlebacks and will be installing the GT500 valence. It looks pretty straightforward. My plan is to use my dremel unless I can get something better.
That's how I installed mine. It took forever, especially if you're doing it alone. When the bumper is off the car, it's very flimsy and hard to hold steady by yourself while you're cutting. I drilled 1/4" holes all along the line, which helped speed it up quite a bit.
Old 1/26/15, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
That's how I installed mine. It took forever, especially if you're doing it alone. When the bumper is off the car, it's very flimsy and hard to hold steady by yourself while you're cutting. I drilled 1/4" holes all along the line, which helped speed it up quite a bit.
Oh good call, play connect the dots. I like that idea.
Old 1/26/15, 04:27 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Oh good call, play connect the dots. I like that idea.
I had planned on drilling some starter holes too.
Old 1/27/15, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I used my reciprocating saw with a fine blade. I just made sure the cutting line was highlighted with a silver sharpie, so it stood out.
For the holes for the tabs, I just used a small drill, and a file to clean it up.
The new rear valance actually covers up the cutting lines and the holes for the tabs. It is all relatively easy to do, as long as you take the time.
Old 2/4/15, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys, I used a retractable razor knife. I started out using a jig saw but that required a lot of clean up and wasn't cutting as clean a cut as I wanted. A new blade and a slow steady hand left beautiful cuts that needed no clean up and very accurate cuts. Just take your time and move the blade slowly and you'll be done with the cut and clean up sooner than using a body saw, jigsaw, etc.
Old 2/4/15, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Guys, I used a retractable razor knife. I started out using a jig saw but that required a lot of clean up and wasn't cutting as clean a cut as I wanted. A new blade and a slow steady hand left beautiful cuts that needed no clean up and very accurate cuts. Just take your time and move the blade slowly and you'll be done with the cut and clean up sooner than using a body saw, jigsaw, etc.

Great Idea.

Do you have any pictures before and after?
Old 2/5/15, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Only before and after on the car. Just think how cleanly a razor cuts things. No burs or jagged edges. The retractable razor blade isn't the cheaper snap off type blades that are for light duty work. I used the heavy duty blade seen below.

Old 2/5/15, 08:19 PM
V6 Member

^^^ Never in a million years would I have thought I am taking a razor blade to my 2014 Mustang! But I will give the heady duty retractable razor blade a try once I get my rear diffuser in.
Old 2/5/15, 10:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I gotta tell you, the razor blade worked so much better than the jig saw I tried first. The jig saw has the potential to scratch the surrounding painted areas and runs so fast, it melts the bumper as it cuts leaving a big mess and requiring a file to clean up. The accuracy and precision cutting of the knife made me question why I didn't start with that.
Old 2/5/15, 10:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I gotta tell you, the razor blade worked so much better than the jig saw I tried first. The jig saw has the potential to scratch the surrounding painted areas and runs so fast, it melts the bumper as it cuts leaving a big mess and requiring a file to clean up. The accuracy and precision cutting of the knife made me question why I didn't start with that.

Scott... You made me re think mufflers... **** You. I thought about not cutting the rear because I could not get a clean cut.. I was set to order the single out Gt 500 mufflers.... Well then you post this and now I am re thinking everything...
Old 2/5/15, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Scott... You made me re think mufflers... **** You. I thought about not cutting the rear because I could not get a clean cut.. I was set to order the single out Gt 500 mufflers.... Well then you post this and now I am re thinking everything...
You don't have to worry about how clean the cut is. There is a lot of room for errors. In fact even if you don't clean up the cut, it is no big deal.
You see, the rear valance actually mounts on top of the bumper so to say. It hides the cut completely. As long as you're somewhat close to the line it's going to be ok!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cutting rear bumper for Boss/GT500/etc valance...tools questions