Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

V6 Tune Questions

Old 4/5/14, 09:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
V6 Tune Questions

Have a couple questions regarding a tune for my 2014 V6.

1. Does Ford Racing offer a tune for the V6? I wasn't able to find one...I would prefer to keep the warranty, if possible.

2. My primary complaint with the car so far is that the engine doesn't decelerate quick enough when shifting (especially at higher RPMs). My understanding is that this is often due to the OEM tune. Is it standard practice for aftermarket tunes to change this? More power would be nice, but I'd like quicker shifts first and foremost. I'd like to avoid a lightweigh flywheel if I can help it.

3. I'm likely going to go with Steeda for the tune (assuming Ford doesn't offer it). Anyone have any good reasons to use a different tuning company? Also, with the Steeda tuner, are the lifetime tunes included in the $380 price, or is that just for the tuner (and pay another $150 for the tunes)?

Thanks folks!
Old 4/6/14, 03:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
I have BAMA and the decel is still not that great, but it is better. But one of our local dealerships will still honor the warranty on it since BAMA is one of the Mellower tuners.
I heard that you will never have the instant decel on it because of the Variable Timing needs to adjust or something to that order. But it is rather bad the car will still be accelerating in the next gear without hitting the throttle.
As for the tunes being included "Note: Purchase of this item enrolls you in the Lifetime Tunes Program. To read more about the Lifetime Tunes Program, Click Here." Straight from Steeda's page so I would say yes.

Last edited by Siber Express; 4/6/14 at 03:29 AM.
Old 4/6/14, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I highly recommend an MPT tune. You'll also see lots of other v6 owners who have switched from one tuner to MPT tunes. Ford Racing des not offer tuning for our car. And even if they did, I don't think they maintain the factory warranty anyway. They are not the same company.
Old 4/7/14, 04:35 AM
Cobra R Member

I've heard of enough displeasure with the Bama tunes that I'll probably stick with something different. I'll check MPT out.

I'm OK with a smaller amount of lag on decel, but I'd like it to be noticeably better then stock. It's absolutely awful right now. Every time I shift above 5K I feel like I'm waiting for an eternity for the RPMs to drop.
Old 4/7/14, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Have a couple questions regarding a tune for my 2014 V6.

1. Does Ford Racing offer a tune for the V6? I wasn't able to find one...I would prefer to keep the warranty, if possible.

2. My primary complaint with the car so far is that the engine doesn't decelerate quick enough when shifting (especially at higher RPMs). My understanding is that this is often due to the OEM tune. Is it standard practice for aftermarket tunes to change this? More power would be nice, but I'd like quicker shifts first and foremost. I'd like to avoid a lightweigh flywheel if I can help it.

3. I'm likely going to go with Steeda for the tune (assuming Ford doesn't offer it). Anyone have any good reasons to use a different tuning company? Also, with the Steeda tuner, are the lifetime tunes included in the $380 price, or is that just for the tuner (and pay another $150 for the tunes)?

Thanks folks!
Joeywhat,

1. You're correct, Ford Racing only offers the Procal for Mustang GT's at the moment.

2. The Bama Performance tunes we offer do help with engine deceleration, as well as throttle response. It's certainly a noticeable difference over stock, and in you want it to be even more drastic, I'm sure the Bama Team can tweak the tune accordingly to your taste.

3. Any SCT or Diablosport tuner purchased from our site includes our Free Tunes for Life program. As stated above, we can offer your as many tunes as you like and critique them to your personal interests!

If you ever have questions about our Bama Tunes, feel free to call our Bama Team directly. They can be reached at the number in my signature or you can simply send me a PM with your questions. Either way we'll get you taken care of!

Shane
Old 4/7/14, 02:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Better throttle response, better engine response (specifically decel speed) and a little extra power is really all I want.

What downsides are there to going to far with engine decel?
Old 4/8/14, 12:46 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Better throttle response, better engine response (specifically decel speed) and a little extra power is really all I want.

What downsides are there to going to far with engine decel?
Sounds good to me. Bama should have no problem providing you a tune with those features.

There's no damaging downsides to going to far with engine decel. The downside is it can cause hesitation, bucking, or scavenging idle. Of course, if you get to that point, they Bama can easily tweak the tune to raise decel a little and you'll be good to go!

Shane
Old 4/8/14, 01:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes, we offer the tunes for life in the price of the programmer.

You will be very happy with a Steeda tune. We have had 0 issues when it comes to warranty claims / denials ... we are very safe.

Our tunes will increase the throttle response of the car for quicker take-offs.
We alter the transmission shift points at part and WOT.
We alter the firmness of the shift at part and WOT

(Our shift firmness is different for different throttle settings.

Our tune will increase the power throughout the enter RPM Range.

You can email me at tim@steeda.com if I can help you with a tune.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/8/14, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Sounds good to me. Bama should have no problem providing you a tune with those features.

There's no damaging downsides to going to far with engine decel. The downside is it can cause hesitation, bucking, or scavenging idle. Of course, if you get to that point, they Bama can easily tweak the tune to raise decel a little and you'll be good to go!

Shane
i specifically asked for them to make mine decel faster and when i put the tune on my cars it was the same as it was stock as far as decel time goes.
Old 4/9/14, 05:21 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
If i were looking for 'Tunes for life', i'd go with Steeda. Just my opinion
Old 4/9/14, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
i specifically asked for them to make mine decel faster and when i put the tune on my cars it was the same as it was stock as far as decel time goes.
Did you relay this feedback to Bama when it occurred? Did they send you another tune or ask for a datalog? If you haven't taken this next step, I'd be happy to contact the Bama Team for you. I'd just need your First/Last name and shipping address.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested!

Shane
Old 4/9/14, 12:37 PM
Cobra Member

I like A.M. and think they are a good company but Bama isn't as good. If I were you I would go with MPT, Lund or VMP which are much better from the reviews of others. Not as many unsatisfied customers and I don't know of anyone who was unhappy with Lund or VMP. Go with the right tuner from the beginning and it will save you from being disappointed and searching for a new tune like so many of us including myself that have been dissatisfied with Bama.

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 4/9/14 at 12:39 PM.
Old 4/9/14, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am very pleased with my Bama tune. I have noticed a significant power gain and it woke my baby up when racing Autocross. When adding parts, they are able to send me a new tune within a day or two. I have no complaints what so ever. It's never going to be like a dyno tune which you can't expect it to be.
Old 4/9/14, 03:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
I like A.M. and think they are a good company but Bama isn't as good. If I were you I would go with MPT, Lund or VMP which are much better from the reviews of others. Not as many unsatisfied customers and I don't know of anyone who was unhappy with Lund or VMP. Go with the right tuner from the beginning and it will save you from being disappointed and searching for a new tune like so many of us including myself that have been dissatisfied with Bama.
Yes, I very much have a buy once cry once attitude. I hate buying inferior stuff and having to replace it with something better.

That being said cost is still an issue. I'll probably stick with a company that includes tunes with the device. For under $400 Steeda seems like a good choice, and MPT seems to be around the same price as well.
Old 4/10/14, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
For under $400 Steeda seems like a good choice,
Agreed!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/10/14, 04:28 PM

my ford dealer is going to do a custom tune for me. I asked about Ford Motor being ok with a custom tune. No prob, I was told..
Old 4/10/14, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm running a Steeda tune and I couldn't be happier. Steeda puts the hours in engineering and development to ensure the tune is solid and safe for your vehicle. They've been around a long time and have had a special relationship with Ford...since the mid 80's if memory serves me correct.

I've got 5,000 miles on my 93 octane tune and it performs flawless.
Old 4/11/14, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We're running a tune from JPC and it really woke up the 6'er. She's an auto though, so I cannot speak on the decel complaint you have.
Old 4/12/14, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
We're running a tune from JPC and it really woke up the 6'er. She's an auto though, so I cannot speak on the decel complaint you have.
just put it in park, rev it up and watch how slow the decel is. its more noticable in the manual though since if youre gunning it then let out of it and coast with the clutch in it take for ever for the rpms to come back down. i think the main problem is the massive intake manifold on these v6's but that helps with power. id rather have more power than slow decel.
Old 4/12/14, 05:26 PM
V6 Member

If the factory tune is reloaded after doing an aftermarket tune, is Ford able to tell that the car has been tuned?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6 Tune Questions