Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/15, 11:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Haha, I swear I have put this together and taken it apart 50x.

More pics
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 12/28/15, 11:51 PM
Cobra Member

More pics
Old 12/28/15, 11:55 PM
Cobra Member

Lexxion came over today for a couple hours and soldered more wires. Thanks man! Getting closer on the electrical every day. Our plan is to only hook up enough to try and start the car. If it doesn't start and we can't fix it then I'll replace my wiring harnesseses with a factory set and order an ecoboost control pack.

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/29/15 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12/29/15, 06:12 PM
Cobra Member

All the water lines are hooked up and water is flowing through the car! I'm using the crappy pump that came installed in the reservoir. I have a bigger pump hooked up, it turns on with the key. I'll pull the crappy pump out of the reservoir once I get the bigger pump going.

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/29/15 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12/29/15, 07:45 PM
Cobra Member

I ordered the last fitting to finish the turbo pipes and the handful of hose clamps I was missing. I also found a local custom shop that has a pipe bead tool, I'll need that for the pipes that connect the turbos to the intercoolers. The fitting is only a few hours away in Colorado Springs so I should get it in the mail on Thursday. I would be able to get the pipes made and the beads done on Friday.

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/29/15 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12/29/15, 08:30 PM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't wait for you to get it going. I've been following this since your first post way back when. I have a 2014 F150 Lariat Ecoboost and I just love that engine. The 91 octane MPT street tune I have on it really does make a huge difference. Good luck in getting it started.
Old 12/29/15, 09:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DJ2014
I can't wait for you to get it going. I've been following this since your first post way back when. I have a 2014 F150 Lariat Ecoboost and I just love that engine. The 91 octane MPT street tune I have on it really does make a huge difference. Good luck in getting it started.
Thank you!

The ecoboost engine is a lot of fun, especially with a tune. Just 2 days ago I pulled up to a stoplight and 2 kids pull up next to me in a 2 door Mercedes 430 with black racing wheels and racing brakes. I bumped forward and they did too, so I knew it was on. I held the brake got the rpms to 1500 and when the light turned green we both left at the same time. As I pulled away the passenger just had a dumb look on his face, I bet he was thinking WTF? When they gave up I had them by a bus length. That truck surprises people regularly, I beat a newer WRX from a stoplight a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/29/15 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12/30/15, 07:51 AM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
Thank you!

The ecoboost engine is a lot of fun, especially with a tune. Just 2 days ago I pulled up to a stoplight and 2 kids pull up next to me in a 2 door Mercedes 430 with black racing wheels and racing brakes. I bumped forward and they did too, so I knew it was on. I held the brake got the rpms to 1500 and when the light turned green we both left at the same time. As I pulled away the passenger just had a dumb look on his face, I bet he was thinking WTF? When they gave up I had them by a bus length. That truck surprises people regularly, I beat a newer WRX from a stoplight a couple weeks ago.
I had a 2007 F150 SCrew with a 4.6(tuned) and it sucked compared to this Ecoboost. The Eco is more fun to drive than my 3.7 Mustang and it's tuned also.
Old 12/30/15, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DJ2014
I had a 2007 F150 SCrew with a 4.6(tuned) and it sucked compared to this Ecoboost. The Eco is more fun to drive than my 3.7 Mustang and it's tuned also.
Can you imagine how well your truck would run if you took 1500 lbs off it ??? Ok I'm about to be a total fanboy and rant for a moment.

I have a gt500 thats a lot of work to drive but the fun meter is off the charts. I will say though that when I get out of my car and jump in my truck I'm not missing my car. It's so comfortable and the engineering around the electronics I think is very impressive. My previous position at my company was VP of R&D, I worked with 11 different engineers from mechanical aerospace to optical engineers. I actually know what it takes to create electronic processes, lots of time, money, a talented engineers. Just the control system for the 4x4 would be a monumental feat, if you don't drive your f150 on ice you wouldn't understand . The truck controls everything from the ABS, which even if your not on the brakes it grabs the brakes during wheel slip, to the turbos which I suspect it opens the waste gates to reduce torque to reduce wheel spin because torque is significantly reduced. When the weather gets bad here it doesn't slow me down one bit, the truck is completely stable driving the speed limit on ice and snow. My voice sync works flawlessly and the NAV is several notches above my wife's 2015 Mercedes GLK which cost $20k more. The HID headlights are insanely bright, I would say 3x more than my previous trucks. The interior is so quiet going down the road you can talk at regular volume to all passengers while doing 80 on the freeway. Plus it's a truck with TWIN TURBOS!!! I'm sorry but there are no other trucks on the road that hold a candle to the fords IMHO. I rented a tundra recently when I went back to Texas to visit my family, I laughed at it the moment I got in the truck, the interior styling made it feel like it was 10 years old. It had a powerful v8 engine but was noisy to make the power that came anywhere close to my f150. When my truck had 150 miles on it a girl backed in to it in a parking lot. They gave me a 2014 Chevy truck to drive for a rental and same thing as the tundra, I couldn't wait to get my ford back. Have you seen the inside of a Camaro??? Freakin ugly.

I've been driving fords for years, this is actually my 7th F150. I've had the 4.6 and the 5.4, my last 2 (2006 and 2010) were 5.4. Even before the tune the ecoboost out performed the 5.4 in every category, even pulling a 5000 lb trailer from Texas to Colorado. After pulling the trailer I was hooked, it barely shifted gears going through the mountains. When the V8 would need to downshift for more power the ecoboost simply spooled up the turbos. The ecoboost taught me the difference between torque and horsepower. Truth be told the engine runs more like a diesel that can run higher rpms. If you have driven a diesel truck before it makes loads of tourqe and not as much horsepower, when you give it 1/2 throttle or full throttle it really accelerates about the same. Is because diesels make full torque at low rpms, just like the ecoboost. Your at full torque at 2000 rpms, that's what makes the Eco so fun. You can barely push the gas in my truck, even before the tune, and it quietly takes off fast.

Ok I'm done with my fanboy rant
Old 12/30/15, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Can you imagine how well your truck would run if you took 1500 lbs off it ??? Ok I'm about to be a total fanboy and rant for a moment.

I have a gt500 thats a lot of work to drive but the fun meter is off the charts. I will say though that when I get out of my car and jump in my truck I'm not missing my car. It's so comfortable and the engineering around the electronics I think is very impressive. My previous position at my company was VP of R&D, I worked with 11 different engineers from mechanical aerospace to optical engineers. I actually know what it takes to create electronic processes, lots of time, money, a talented engineers. Just the control system for the 4x4 would be a monumental feat, if you don't drive your f150 on ice you wouldn't understand . The truck controls everything from the ABS, which even if your not on the brakes it grabs the brakes during wheel slip, to the turbos which I suspect it opens the waste gates to reduce torque to reduce wheel spin because torque is significantly reduced. When the weather gets bad here it doesn't slow me down one bit, the truck is completely stable driving the speed limit on ice and snow. My voice sync works flawlessly and the NAV is several notches above my wife's 2015 Mercedes GLK which cost $20k more. The HID headlights are insanely bright, I would say 3x more than my previous trucks. The interior is so quiet going down the road you can talk at regular volume to all passengers while doing 80 on the freeway. Plus it's a truck with TWIN TURBOS!!! I'm sorry but there are no other trucks on the road that hold a candle to the fords IMHO. I rented a tundra recently when I went back to Texas to visit my family, I laughed at it the moment I got in the truck, the interior styling made it feel like it was 10 years old. It had a powerful v8 engine but was noisy to make the power that came anywhere close to my f150. When my truck had 150 miles on it a girl backed in to it in a parking lot. They gave me a 2014 Chevy truck to drive for a rental and same thing as the tundra, I couldn't wait to get my ford back. Have you seen the inside of a Camaro??? Freakin ugly.

I've been driving fords for years, this is actually my 7th F150. I've had the 4.6 and the 5.4, my last 2 (2006 and 2010) were 5.4. Even before the tune the ecoboost out performed the 5.4 in every category, even pulling a 5000 lb trailer from Texas to Colorado. After pulling the trailer I was hooked, it barely shifted gears going through the mountains. When the V8 would need to downshift for more power the ecoboost simply spooled up the turbos. The ecoboost taught me the difference between torque and horsepower. Truth be told the engine runs more like a diesel that can run higher rpms. If you have driven a diesel truck before it makes loads of tourqe and not as much horsepower, when you give it 1/2 throttle or full throttle it really accelerates about the same. Is because diesels make full torque at low rpms, just like the ecoboost. Your at full torque at 2000 rpms, that's what makes the Eco so fun. You can barely push the gas in my truck, even before the tune, and it quietly takes off fast.

Ok I'm done with my fanboy rant
Tztztztz... Owning a 5.8 and then talking about torque of a 3.5

LEXiiON
Old 12/31/15, 04:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Tztztztz... Owning a 5.8 and then talking about torque of a 3.5

LEXiiON
You mean this ol thing? Ya it's ok if your in to excessive power, not sure who is though.
Old 12/31/15, 05:13 PM
Cobra Member

I had to disconnect the driveshaft from the rearend to slip on the safety loops even though the instructions say that isn't necessary. I talked to BMR and because the rear loop bracket hits the driveshaft when the suspension is fully extended I was told I had to lift the rear of the car by jacking up the rearend and not the body. Also I have to put jackstands under the rearend instead of the body for the same reason. I can't say I'm very happy with that response but it is what it is.

Looks off center but that's just the angle of the pic

Last edited by Ecostang; 12/31/15 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12/31/15, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
What brand driveshaft did you go with?
Old 12/31/15, 05:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
What brand driveshaft did you go with?
I got an oem take-off for now, once I get the car driving I'll change it out to a one piece aluminum driveshaft. It's easy to change later and I didn't want to spend $800 on that just yet. I've seen the videos of the V6 driveshafts exploding and read all about it too, that's why I wanted the driveshaft loops in now.

I haven't settled on a brand yet, there's not many options for the 2011+ V6 to pick from.
Old 12/31/15, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
You mean this ol thing? Ya it's ok if your in to excessive power, not sure who is though.

True, i haven't found anyone in the mustang scene who is into excessive power including me... I already regret selling my 4.6L 3V engine....

LEXiiON
Old 1/2/16, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Got my turbo pipes beaded and flanged to 2 1/16 on one end. The factory turbo boot is 2 1/16. I still need to add the vacuum line fitting and paint them before I put them on the car for the last time.
Old 1/2/16, 05:41 PM
Cobra Member

Fits perfect
Old 1/2/16, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

I welded on the second vacuum line connector, primed, then painted the remaining 2 pipes.
Old 1/2/16, 07:43 PM
Cobra Member

I read online that the factory spark plug gap for the 11/12 ecoboost was all over the place, between .032 and .045. Turns out the proper plug gap should be .028-.030 so I pulled out all the plugs today and gapped them at .028. The engine only has 19k miles so I didn't see the need in changing the plugs, I'll have to change them later to a colder plug once I add the nitrous.

I'll install the turbo pipes in the morning and then the car will be completely ready to start except for the electrical. Lexiion is coming over tomorrow and he thinks we might finally be able to finish enough of the electrical to start the car!!! There are a few hurdles we must overcome, like PATS for example. If all goes well maybe tomorrow will be the day! Not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/2/16 at 09:22 PM.
Old 1/2/16, 08:19 PM
Cobra Member

I needed a way to tie down the intake piping, it touches the bottom of the hood if it's not pushed down. I made this bracket out of hose clamps and bolted it down where the overflow tank used to be. Worked out well.

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/2/16 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap