Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/16, 05:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Lexiion came over today to help me wire up the shifter. Turns out I should have ordered a plug with the shifter, it's different than the 2010. Luckily Alex thought to check to see if that plug was used somewhere else in the car and it was, he just happened to have the connector on a salvaged harness at his house! We dropped the top on the termi and went and picked it up, nice top down weather here today.

Alex wired it up and it worked! You push the brake and it released the shifter just like it should. Thanks man!

I started the car and everything worked great, I can now bump the key forward to start the engine and the pcm takes over from there, starting the engine and disengaging the starter once it running. This is the same feature my Shelby and my truck have, but the 2010 mustang didn't work like that.

It also fired up much faster and smoother than ever before, that's a good sign.

Last thing is the weird throttle response is gone!!! No more revving up after getting off the gas.

I'll get to drive it to tomorrow, the mechanic that's helping me with the gears arrives at 9:30 am to finish the rearend.
Old 4/23/16, 06:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GatorV6
Very nice, I didn't even know you could weld the axle tubes with everything still on the car. I pulled my front sway bar back when I was trying to hit 12s NA. I kept forgetting to put it back on so I ended up just leaving it off for a good 5k miles or so. Honestly I barely even noticed it was gone in normal driving. Granted pretty much all the roads around here are very straight lol.
Yes it was more challenging welding it in the car but not too bad. I did have all the bearings and oil out at the time. Welding the very top was the hard part.
Old 4/24/16, 06:45 PM
Cobra Member

So I got bad news this morning, the guy that was supposed to help me setup the gears today had a car accident that put him in the hospital. There is not eta so now I'm left with finding someone else, waiting on him to get better, or doing it myself. Real bummer

Alex found me all the tools to borrow to do the job, I may just do it myself tomorrow.

I worked on the roll cage instead, I got 4 of the floor plates welded and some of the bars tacked in.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 4/24/16, 09:28 PM
Cobra Member

The story of the wheels goes on.... I checked with LMR and they said the drag stars I ordered wouldn't be in until May 20th. I didn't really like those wheels, they were ok and a really good price so I could deal with it. With the delay I decided to go ahead and spend the extra money to get the weld S71 wheels. They look great and weigh 40lbs less than the drag stars. They are also on backorder but should ship out May 4th.
Old 4/25/16, 08:49 PM
Cobra Member

I took off today and tomorrow to work on the car. I'm going to be gone for nearly a week for work and I'm running short on time to get this finished up.

Alex (Lexiion) introduced me to a friend of his that can help setup the gears but he can't come over until Monday next week. Next Tuesday I have a ford technician coming over after work to program the solenoid strategy to the PCM. We tried Alex's IDS but it wouldn't work for whatever reason.

I should be able to finish the cage tomorrow, I spent 4 hrs on Sunday and 8 hrs today working on it. It's very time consuming grinding and fitting the parts together over and over until it's tight, then welding it. The floor plates are not easy either. They require chipping and grinding sound deading material, then welding them all the way around without burning through the floor.

Currently I have a 6 point roll cage completely installed, my kit is a 10 point.
Old 4/25/16, 08:51 PM
Cobra Member

I added some gussets at the base to give it some extra strength.
Old 4/26/16, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

I got the cross brace and the additonal floor bracing installed before my welder started having problems. I had to order a new gun liner so it should be here by the time I get back from my trip, I'll be able to install the halo and a-pillar supports then.
Old 5/1/16, 05:35 PM
Cobra Member

Went over all my welds again with more welding, just to make sure everything was overkill
Old 5/1/16, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

The side bar fits my seat perfectly.

Also got the carpet cut to fit around the bars.
Old 5/1/16, 05:41 PM
Cobra Member

I put my new fuel filter in so I can run e85, it's 30 micron stainless steel mesh inside. I used the factory quick connectors, I just had to shorten one side of the plastic fuel line to get it to fit.
Old 5/1/16, 05:45 PM
Cobra Member

I had to bleed the brakes since I put on the automatic transmission master cylinder so I went ahead and replaced the rear lines with stainless steel braided. I had already swapped out the front brake lines.
Old 5/2/16, 12:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Did you get the rear rotors??
Old 5/2/16, 11:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Did you get the rear rotors??
I did, thanks again! I'm really looking forward to getting to the part when I can he them put on

I'm feeling a little pressure to get the car finished. I need to leave in 30 days and it's not made its first pass yet. I wouldn't be surprised if its first pass down the track was at the ecoboost battle

I've had multiple delays getting the rearend gears done but it looks like it's finally happening on Tuesday evening along with getting the PCM programmed to the transmission solenoid strategy. I'll have to put the exhaust back in along with driveshaft, brakes and some of the rear suspension to get it buttoned up. This should mean I could hopefully get the car back on the road Wednesday night.
Old 5/2/16, 12:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
I did, thanks again! I'm really looking forward to getting to the part when I can he them put on

I'm feeling a little pressure to get the car finished. I need to leave in 30 days and it's not made its first pass yet. I wouldn't be surprised if its first pass down the track was at the ecoboost battle

I've had multiple delays getting the rearend gears done but it looks like it's finally happening on Tuesday evening along with getting the PCM programmed to the transmission solenoid strategy. I'll have to put the exhaust back in along with driveshaft, brakes and some of the rear suspension to get it buttoned up. This should mean I could hopefully get the car back on the road Wednesday night.
Just in time for the bad weather ....

LEXiiON
Old 5/2/16, 08:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Just in time for the bad weather ....

LEXiiON
I'll just click on the 4wd and no problem! The PCM says its a 4wd, how do I turn that on....have you wired that up yet?
Old 5/2/16, 08:21 PM
Cobra Member

What a nice nitrous bottle bracket from nitrous express, I stole this on eBay for 1/2 price!
Old 5/2/16, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

Fits perfectly, like it was made for this spot in a mustang.

Last edited by Ecostang; 5/2/16 at 08:27 PM.
Old 5/2/16, 08:24 PM
Cobra Member

D*** a 15lb bottle is huge! Glad I didn't get the 20lb bottle
Old 5/2/16, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
I'll just click on the 4wd and no problem! The PCM says its a 4wd, how do I turn that on....have you wired that up yet?
Wiring up the 4WD is extra $$$

LEXiiON
Old 5/3/16, 09:41 PM
Cobra Member

Ford tech from my local dealership made a house call today and programmed my transmission to the PCM, everything went well. The rearend will hopefully be finished tomorrow and I can go for a drive.

My rear wheels will be delivered on Thursday so I should have the tires mounted and installed on Friday. Still waiting on the front wheels to be shipped.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap