Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/15, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Do you need to run the F150 brake vacuum pump deal? Or delete it and figure out how to trick the ECU??
Old 10/3/15, 10:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I will need the vacuum pump. I tried installing the one I just got in but has a broken hose barb. I'll have to send it back.

In case anyone is wondering why it needs a vacuum pump....it's because in a boost scenario there is no vacuum to boost the brakes.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Ecostang; 10/3/15 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10/3/15, 10:44 PM
Cobra Member

I got the new intercooler pump in too
Old 10/4/15, 07:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What vacuum pump is that? I've been considering adding one to my car because the motor only makes about 7 inches HG (radical cam). It's electric, right?

Never mind. I think I found it -BL3Z-2A451-A

That's a pricey little sum***** ($390 new from Ford).

There are aftermarket ones available cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-VOLT-ELECTRIC-VACUUM-PUMP-BRAKE-BOOSTER-VACUUM-PUMP-STAINLESS-BRAIDED-HOSE-/321853220052?hash=item4aeff264d4&vxp=mtr

Last edited by jsimmons; 10/4/15 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10/4/15, 08:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
What vacuum pump is that? I've been considering adding one to my car because the motor only makes about 7 inches HG (radical cam). It's electric, right?

12 Volt Electric Vacuum Pump Brake Booster Vacuum Pump Stainless Braided Hose | eBay
This is where I got mine, $270 with shipping.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FQooaQodrO0Beg
Old 10/4/15, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons

12 Volt Electric Vacuum Pump Brake Booster Vacuum Pump Stainless Braided Hose | eBay
Since I have to send the damaged pump back I may go ahead and order the pump you found. The reason is that my pump needs to plug in to the wiring harness to be turned on and off. I bought a 2013 f150 wiring harness, the truck didn't come with an electric vacuum pump in 2013, it was mechanical instead. This means I would have to buy the connector for this pump and figure out how to wire it in to the wire harness. If I bought the pump you found it comes with a vacuum sensor to turn it on and off, saves $50 and is easier to install. Thanks!
Old 10/4/15, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

I ended up ordering this one for $200, same as the comp cams version for $300! I think it's the same as you found except it doesn't have the braided lines.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Vacuum-Pump-Brake-Booster-Hot-Rod-Street-Rod-12V-/291579931749?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE
Old 10/4/15, 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

Got a lot done today. All the harness is connected under the hood. Epas is hooked up, fan, abs module, abs sensors, impact sensors, horn, washer bottle, blinkers, headlights, side markers....done. I soldered anything I spliced then added heat shrink and electrical tape.

Relocated the battery to the trunk today, there was no room up front after all. Just need to mount the battery.

Installed line-loc brakes for burnouts, bled the brakes. Installed new braided stainless clutch line, bled clutch. I used SRF racing brake fluid and replaced everything in the system.

Last edited by Ecostang; 10/4/15 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10/5/15, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
Got a lot done today. All the harness is connected under the hood. Epas is hooked up, fan, abs module, abs sensors, impact sensors, horn, washer bottle, blinkers, headlights, side markers....done. I soldered anything I spliced then added heat shrink and electrical tape.

Relocated the battery to the trunk today, there was no room up front after all. Just need to mount the battery.

Installed line-loc brakes for burnouts, bled the brakes. Installed new braided stainless clutch line, bled clutch. I used SRF racing brake fluid and replaced everything in the system.
How soon to start up? How much longer after that until a burnout?
Old 10/5/15, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
How soon to start up? How much longer after that until a burnout?
Well I'm closer for sure, I probably have another month worth of weekends to get it running. I have to tow the car to the muffler shop and to the shop making the custom turbo piping, not sure how long the turbo place will need. There's a ton of small details that I'm having to work through that I'm not mentioning here, just to save time. Seems to be all doable but I feel like there's 100 small things to do still
Old 10/6/15, 09:54 PM
Cobra Member

I'm looking for new front brake calipers and rotors for the car. I would like to buy the 2014 gt500 6 piston brembo brake calipers and 15" rotors. I see these aren't recommended for v6 cars, does anyone know why? I seem to remember someone telling me it's because they freak out the abs, but I couldn't find anything about it online. If that's the case then I wonder how the f150 abs will react with 6 piston brakes? Maybe I should go with the 4 piston gt500 calipers and 14" rotors?

Last edited by Ecostang; 10/26/15 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10/7/15, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm looking for new front brake calipers and rotors for the car. I would like to buy the 2014 gt500 6 piston brembro brake calipers and 15" rotors. I see these aren't recommended for v6 cars, does anyone know why? I seem to remember someone telling me it's because they freak out the abs, but I couldn't find anything about it online. If that's the case then I wonder how the f150 abs will react with 6 piston brakes? Maybe I should go with the 4 piston gt500 calipers and 14" rotors?
Why should they freak out the ABS? I never heard of that recommendation. I doubt there is any truth in there. That would mean, any time you put in more aggressive pads, your ABS would freak out....

LEXiiON
Old 10/7/15, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Why should they freak out the ABS? I never heard of that recommendation. I doubt there is any truth in there. That would mean, any time you put in more aggressive pads, your ABS would freak out....

LEXiiON
I'm not sure where I read that, I can't find it again. What I remember reading is that the 6 piston stops the car so quickly that the abs recognizes it as a problem. What's interesting is that the V6 specifically is not listed under the fitment for the 6 piston brake kits but is listed in the fitment for the 4 piston brake kit.

I just want to make sure before I spend the money. I did check the f150 and it has huge brakes front and rear, which makes sense for towing. I doubt I would have problems, but this is a big purchase.
Old 10/7/15, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON

LEXiiON
Keep in mind one other point, my car should weigh 400 lbs less than a 2014 gt500 and most of that weight comes off the front end. This gives me more stopping power than the gt500 would have from the factory. The mustang v6 abs (which has been replaced with the f150) is programmed for a lighter car with a small brake setup, being replaced with a high performance brake system designed for a much heavier car. The abs is monitoring wheel speed, if it stops much faster than it expects to it could think the wheels are locking up.

With the weight difference maybe 6 pistons are overkill.
Old 10/7/15, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Keep in mind one other point, my car should weigh 400 lbs less than a 2014 gt500 and most of that weight comes off the front end. This gives me more stopping power than the gt500 would have from the factory. The mustang v6 abs (which has been replaced with the f150) is programmed for a lighter car with a small brake setup, being replaced with a high performance brake system designed for a much heavier car. The abs is monitoring wheel speed, if it stops much faster than it expects to it could think the wheels are locking up.

With the weight difference maybe 6 pistons are overkill.
Sorry. Still doesn't make sense to me. If you have sticky tires and a very nice and hot road, you stopping would be much faster, too. The ABS monitors if the wheel is turning, and as soon as the wheel stops but the vehicle is still in motion it releases pressure to unlock the wheel. Once the wheel is unlocked, max pressure is reapplied. Then it starts over again. You can feel that in the pulsating of your pedal and the brbrbrbrb sound it makes when it's active. Different road surfaces, tires, brake pads, calipers all change stopping distance, but not how ABS unlocks a wheel. Otherwise you could only use OEM equipment for all of the above (well, that doesn't work for streets, does it?)...
Correct me if I am wrong...

LEXiiON
Old 10/7/15, 12:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I don't understand why it would matter either. I always thought ABS worked by monitoring the difference in wheel speed between the wheels. Of course that was how it worked 20 years ago, I'm sure it has changed since then.
Old 10/7/15, 07:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't have a v6 mustang but a 2013 Gt and I upgraded the front brakes to the 6 piston brembos from a gt500. I've never had an issue with them and have had the setup for a year or so. Just my 2cents

I love what you are doing by the way. I subscribed to this thread and actually read the whole thing a few days ago. Keep updates coming please.

Last edited by mabupa; 10/7/15 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10/7/15, 07:41 PM
Cobra Member

Well I ended up finding a new 14" brembo kit missing one rotor for $650 on eBay, I think these brakes will be fine for me.

On the abs...I have no idea. Most likely it's a non-issue, the 4 Pistons were too good of a deal to pass up though.

Last edited by Ecostang; 10/26/15 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10/7/15, 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
I don't understand why it would matter either. I always thought ABS worked by monitoring the difference in wheel speed between the wheels. Of course that was how it worked 20 years ago, I'm sure it has changed since then.
Your probably right....

Originally Posted by mabupa
I don't have a v6 mustang but a 2013 Gt and I upgraded the front brakes to the 6 piston brembos from a gt500. I've never had an issue with them and have had the setup for a year or so. Just my 2cents

I love what you are doing by the way. I subscribed to this thread and actually read the whole thing a few days ago. Keep updates coming please.
Thanks I will!
Old 10/8/15, 04:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm looking for new front brake calipers and rotors for the car. I would like to buy the 2014 gt500 6 piston brembro brake calipers and 15" rotors. I see these aren't recommended for v6 cars, does anyone know why? I seem to remember someone telling me it's because they freak out the abs, but I couldn't find anything about it online. If that's the case then I wonder how the f150 abs will react with 6 piston brakes? Maybe I should go with the 4 piston gt500 calipers and 14" rotors?
The 6 piston calipers will not give you one ounce more stopping power on the street. Your front tires contact patch is the limit. And the 6 piston calipers are not the best choice for track day use because they don't stop much better than the 4 pistons (if at all), there is less pad and rotor selection and the rotors are more expensive to replace. The track crowd goes with the 4 piston units. And the 4 piston units work very, very well even at the track.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap