Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Give me mod ideas!

Old 12/29/15, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Give me mod ideas!

My dad just got me a 2011 Premium V6, in Kona Blue. He paid for the car, so i'm paying for mods. An exhaust is going to be my first mod, but I can't decide between Roush axel backs or BBK Off Road X pipes with long tube headers. Then i'm gonna do a big mod, which is gonna be a V6 to GT grille/bumper swap. After that i'm stumped. I'm not a creative person, so give me some creative ideas!
Old 12/29/15, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

How much money you got? Can you do installs, or will you have to pay someone for labor? Got a job, or will this come out of your allowance?
Old 12/29/15, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Louvers, side scoops, stripes, CAI.

I have Roush exhaust on my GT. Love them. They sound good on a V6 too from what I've heard in videos.

Last edited by Mustang Mama; 12/29/15 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12/29/15, 11:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nyonce12
My dad just got me a 2011 Premium V6, in Kona Blue. He paid for the car, so i'm paying for mods. An exhaust is going to be my first mod, but I can't decide between Roush axel backs or BBK Off Road X pipes with long tube headers. Then i'm gonna do a big mod, which is gonna be a V6 to GT grille/bumper swap. After that i'm stumped. I'm not a creative person, so give me some creative ideas!
I personally think the Roush Axle backs sound like butt hole horrible on our 3.7's but that's just my own opinion. Many will feel different and love them.

I would recommend you go with another brand other than those Roush axle backs. Put some stripping on the car if it doesn't have any.

Here is my 2011 Kona Blue 3.7.

Give me mod ideas!-forumrunner_20151230_014232.png
Old 12/30/15, 08:42 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On my 2014 v6 I noticed that the drivers side exhaust mid pipe came from the factory with a flat area about 2 feet long right under the drivers seat. I don't know why they did that.

I replaced mine with a Magnaflow cat back exhaust that replaces that restrictive mid pipe and the mufflers sound great. I have more power also because I have less restriction now.

My mods are in my signature to give you ideas
Old 12/30/15, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
My Son just bought a 2014 GHIG MCA Premium V6. Love the car. It came with these mods. These are highly recommended. Borla Axle backs ( These sound awesome. A tiny bit a drone at 2K). BBK Throttle Body and K&N Sealed Intake. Blacked out GT CS spoiler and rear Window Louvers. Side Louvers to match Paint. More Inside to list.
Old 12/30/15, 01:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
My Son just bought a 2014 GHIG MCA Premium V6. Love the car. It came with these mods. These are highly recommended. Borla Axle backs ( These sound awesome. A tiny bit a drone at 2K). BBK Throttle Body and K&N Sealed Intake. Blacked out GT CS spoiler and rear Window Louvers. Side Louvers to match Paint. More Inside to list.
Throttle body is waste of money. Great paper weight it does make. Adds little to no power gains.
Old 12/30/15, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mickstang
How much money you got? Can you do installs, or will you have to pay someone for labor? Got a job, or will this come out of your allowance?
I have a job. I don't wanna go over $700-$800 but if i want something bad enough i dont mind. And my dad is pretty good with card, most things he can install,
Old 12/30/15, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I personally think the Roush Axle backs sound like butt hole horrible on our 3.7's but that's just my own opinion. Many will feel different and love them. I would recommend you go with another brand other than those Roush axle backs. Put some stripping on the car if it doesn't have any. Here is my 2011 Kona Blue 3.7.
That looks great man! Are those wheels plasti-dipped? I'm leaning towards doing that until i save up enough money to get AR GT500 wheels
Old 12/30/15, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Intake and tune are always a great start. Gears too.

Your car a manual?

Throttle body is waste of money. Great paper weight it does make. Adds little to no power gains.
Yeah not without doing bigger mods too like long tubes, cams, a blower etc
Old 12/30/15, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cavero
Intake and tune are always a great start. Gears too. Your car a manual? Yeah not without doing bigger mods too like long tubes, cams, a blower etc
Sadly no, its an auto. It was tuned by the dealer when I got it, but idk how or what kind of tune they used. Once I take it to get my free oil changed and my tires rotated i'm probably going to get it tuned.
Old 12/30/15, 05:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That looks great man! Are those wheels plasti-dipped? I'm leaning towards doing that until i save up enough money to get AR GT500 wheels
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, they are dipped. I'm planning on getting new wheels this spring.
Old 12/30/15, 05:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
Intake and tune are always a great start. Gears too.

Your car a manual?

Yeah not without doing bigger mods too like long tubes, cams, a blower etc
Very true!
Old 12/30/15, 05:15 PM

What do y'all think about putting wider tires in the back? I've seen a lot on the 03 and 04 Cobras but not a lot on the newer models. The only downside of putting wider tires in the back is i wont be able to rotate them.
Old 12/30/15, 05:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

What do y'all think about putting wider tires in the back? I've seen a lot on the 03 and 04 Cobras but not a lot on the newer models. The only downside of putting wider tires in the back is i wont be able to rotate them.
I too had been debating this same question. I really do like the staggered look but just like you said, you loose the ability to rotate the tires.

After debating this with myself I personally will be going with the same size tires in the front and rear.
Old 12/30/15, 05:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sadly no, its an auto. It was tuned by the dealer when I got it, but idk how or what kind of tune they used. Once I take it to get my free oil changed and my tires rotated i'm probably going to get it tuned.
Whose tune you going to go with?
Old 12/30/15, 05:27 PM

Whose tune you going to go with?
Idk, what are some good ones?
Old 12/30/15, 05:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Idk, what are some good ones?
Well, since you asked and you will get an array of answers but here are the three I will tell you. I personally have all three tunes and will tell you my #1 favorite. I recommend Bama, MPT or Steeda tunes.

All three tuning companies are highly qualified that provide safe reliable tunes. I have an automatic and my favorite tune is my MPT tune. A close second is my Bama tune and thrid my Steeda tune.

The majority of 3.7 performance enthusiasts roll with MPT because they have just mastered the tune for our engines and the shift points for us automatics are just sick.

Not cutting Bama short, I have had them for almost 5 years and never a days trouble. Fantastic tune with top notch customer service. The shift points are very strong and the car pulls hard.

Since your pony is new to you and beginning to mod, I would start out with Bama tunes. They offer free tunes for life which is great for new moders. Perfect for you. Then down the road I would get yourself the MPT tune for $75 dollars.

You will get a whole bunch of advice. You will hear, Get Lund, Get a dyno tune, Get AED, Get VMP! Don't waste your money on a custom dyno tune for a N/A car. If you just plan on getting bolt on type mods, no need for a custom dyno tune. You will get very little to ZERO rwhp and rwtq gains over the other listed tuning companies.
Old 12/30/15, 07:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You will get a whole bunch of advice. You will hear, Get Lund, Get a dyno tune, Get AED, Get VMP! Don't waste your money on a custom dyno tune for a N/A car. If you just plan on getting bolt on type mods, no need for a custom dyno tune. You will get very little to ZERO rwhp and rwtq gains over the other listed tuning companies.
I can't speak for anyone but me...but I originally got a canned tune from TillmanSpeed (OK, not one of the companies you listed, but still considered reputable). When I spent the money on the actual dyno tune @ Tillman. They loaded my 93 Race tune they sent me, pulled ~270 RWHP. Then they did the dyno run... 289RWHP. From the butt dyno I can tell you there was quite a difference. I know I've read other threads here where people had similar experiences going from a canned to a dyno tune from different tuners
Old 12/30/15, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Huh, wonder which tuner they went with. I wonder if they adjusted the shift timing for the auto transmission too, or if that was left stock. A buddy had his transmission adjusted with the tune on his 5.0 and it made a huge differences

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Give me mod ideas!