Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Gear Swap Issues?

Old 2/9/16, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear Swap Issues?

Hi All,

'14 auto v6. I just had the gears changed to 3.73. I am waiting on Steeda CAI/Tuner to adjust the speedo. Here's the issues:

1) I now hear what sounds like a "whooshing" sound when I am slowing into a gear shift (from 3rd to 2nd maybe) as if air is being let out from the back of the car. (stock CAI atm)

2) When I am at/above 70mph (speedo is 100) I get a pretty noticeable rumble from the gas pedal when I stop accelerating -- I get the feeling of like friction/rubbing/vibration in the pedal. It's unnoticeable below 65-70. It's pronounced above 75.

Any experience with that? Is it possibly because the speedo/shift points haven't been adjusted? Mind you it is in 6th for a while at that point :/ Should have gone 3.55 I am thinking. I'm very new to it all and any insight or advice is much appreciated!
Old 2/9/16, 10:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hello,

I spoke to one of our gear installers & he mentioned it could potentially be mechanical.

The driveshaft is spinning much faster with the new gears and it may be the shaft causing the vibration.

For the Steeda CAI & tune ... happy to help with pricing & support.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 2/9/16, 02:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Your pedal isn't connected to anything but an electrical wire and the firewall, it's not connected to your engine except with the wire. Any vibration you are feeling is probably from the rearend and is transferring through the body. These issues you mention have nothing to do with the gear ratio selection, sounds like an install problem which isn't uncommon on gear swaps. The new gears probably need to be adjusted better. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Ecostang; 2/9/16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 2/9/16, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Hello,

I spoke to one of our gear installers & he mentioned it could potentially be mechanical.

The driveshaft is spinning much faster with the new gears and it may be the shaft causing the vibration.

For the Steeda CAI & tune ... happy to help with pricing & support.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks TJ, I'll speak with the installer tomorrow and get him to look at it.

Adam was awesome to work with when I called in the other day. Just received the CAI and tuner in the mail today! Looking forward to getting everything together.

I appreciate the reply.
Old 2/9/16, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ecostang
Your pedal isn't connected to anything but an electrical wire and the firewall, it's not connected to your engine except with the wire. Any vibration you are feeling is probably from the rearend and is transferring through the body. These issues you mention have nothing to do with the gear ratio selection, sounds like an install problem which isn't uncommon on gear swaps. The new gears probably need to be adjusted better. Hope that helps.
Good to know. Thanks for the thoughts. I'll be speaking with the installer tomorrow. I appreciate the help everyone!
Old 2/16/16, 09:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
can you post an update with the outcome?
Old 2/16/16, 08:22 PM

A few things came up (snow, holiday, etc) and haven't had the chance to take it to my Transmission installer. I did however receive my Steeda CAI/tuner and installed them both.

I have noticed thus far that there aren't the same vibration issues in the 60-80mph range since the tune (speedometer reset). I am thinking the driveshaft spins based on the speedometer (apologies if that is common knowledge) -- mostly because the installer resonated what TJ mentioned above given the lack of whine from the gears (occasional but not pronounced or consistent).

Will update further soon as there are any developments.

Thanks!!
Old 2/19/16, 05:25 PM

Had the installer take it for a spin and evaluate. At this point, there really is no whine from the gears (pretty quiet). The slight whooshing exists still, but was told that's simply because of the high gear on the car and is a normal sound (likely me noticing any small difference). The vibration is gone below 80. Above 80 it exists and I think TJ was right on the button with driveshaft causing the vibration. The installer believes it's because it's not balanced for the speed with the new gears/rotations. So what I'll do is get a new aftermarket driveshaft when I can swing it next month instead of just re-balancing the existing stock one. Should be good to go after that.

And although not the topic, the Steeda Tune and slight changes (Steeda CAI, 3.73s) has changed the car a LOT from 0-80 (especially 0-40). The acceleration and push through the gears is really nice. I might look into tweaking it a little but want to get a little more familiar with it first.

Thanks for the help everyone!