Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda Tech Series - The Best Supercharger for Your Mustang is…

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/14, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Steeda Tech Series - The Best Supercharger for Your Mustang is…

Hello All:

I wanted to pass along this article that we created regarding Superchargers ...\

There are essentially two types of superchargers in the market today, a Roots type and a Centrifugal type – and there are major reasons why you should only consider one over all others. These reasons all are based on our real world performance evaluations, not marketing hype or driven by profits – rather these are our own observations after thousands upon thousands of miles of rigorous testing. Let us explain… - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/blog/2014/08/t....mM0Fsofg.dpuf

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 8/21/14, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good read indeed
Old 8/21/14, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll take a twin screw over a roots or centrifugal any day of the week. Good article though.
Old 8/22/14, 01:45 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
I'll take a twin screw over a roots or centrifugal any day of the week. Good article though.
^ Amen.
Old 8/22/14, 02:51 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
I'll take a twin screw over a roots or centrifugal any day of the week.
That's three of us.
Old 8/23/14, 03:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well.....I thought it was a loooovley story TJ....

Old 8/23/14, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's three of us.
I 4th that.
Old 8/23/14, 05:12 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for making me have to go back and start over.
I was all set to install an Eaton gen 6 TVS blower this winter.

Eaton claims... "All TVS superchargers have a 2.4 pressure ratio capability and a thermal efficiency that exceeds 70 percent....."
EATON Website

Please help me understand why I should pass on the Magnuson kit in favor of a Vortech kit. The Magnuson kit looks so easy to install and easy to remove back to stock other than 2-1 inch holes that no one will ever see in the plastic fender liners.

Thanks,
-BB
Old 8/23/14, 05:55 PM
GT Member

BBM3, the Vortech is also easy to install and you could go back to stock a LOT easier than with any twin screw. Cant speak for twin screws, but we are SUPER pleased with the choice we went with. The car drives like stock when just normal driving but has an enormous response when you get into the throttle. Being in CO, you wouldnt have to worry like a lot do of heat soak on roots or twin screws, but we are in Austin TX and in the summer, the TVS def see some heat. Not a worry with our Vortech. Being at altitude, you are going to want to pulley down with which EVER SC you choose. It is super easy to do with a Centri, make sure what ever kit you get, you can pulley down without a full add on kit or something.

Last edited by Deerslayer; 8/23/14 at 05:57 PM.
Old 8/23/14, 06:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Deerslayer
BBM3, the Vortech is also easy to install and you could go back to stock a LOT easier than with any twin screw. Cant speak for twin screws, but we are SUPER pleased with the choice we went with. The car drives like stock when just normal driving but has an enormous response when you get into the throttle. Being in CO, you wouldnt have to worry like a lot do of heat soak on roots or twin screws, but we are in Austin TX and in the summer, the TVS def see some heat. Not a worry with our Vortech. Being at altitude, you are going to want to pulley down with which EVER SC you choose. It is super easy to do with a Centri, make sure what ever kit you get, you can pulley down without a full add on kit or something.
Thanks for the reply. Your install looks very nice.
What modifications did you make to the car that are non reversible?
I see the intake cover cut. Any other holes, grinding, etc?

I am not sure about heat soak as Eaton claims +70% thermal efficiency which is what Steeda is claiming with the Vortech.

Do you have a link to detailed install instructions like this from Magnuson

Thanks again for your input. I need forced induction living at 7600 feet ASL!

Last edited by BBM3; 8/23/14 at 06:29 PM.
Old 8/23/14, 06:54 PM
GT Member

Sorry for all the questions.
They should all be answered Here once I read through it a couple of times.
Maybe a Vortech is in my future?
Old 8/23/14, 07:31 PM
GT Member

On those instructions, they are done on an '11. You will not have to do ANY of the bumper cutting like they do in those instructions. 13 and 14s are MUCH easier. You will only cut things that do not show at all like the fan electric shroud corners and you reroute coolant hosing which is done with any SC install. No grinding covers for this centri install. You can still use your stock air box if you want and it will look more stocklike. We use a JLT performance intake. Everything comes in the kit. Check pricing with TeamBeefcakeRacing.com Terry pretty much has the best prices out there and his customer service is second to none.

Last edited by Deerslayer; 8/23/14 at 07:33 PM.
Old 8/23/14, 08:00 PM
GT Member

I just read all 58 pages of the Vortech install instructions.

Call me a Wimp.
No way am I making all of those modifications.

The Magnacharger I have planed on installing requires only 2 holes drilled in plastic splash shields and a couple of pieces of tube cut.
Everything could be removed and returned to stock for ~$100 and one day of my labor.
Old 8/23/14, 09:14 PM
GT Member

Sorry I was writing my previous response before I read your last.

You almost have me convinced.
Still not crazy about cutting into and modifying the cooling system and really reluctant to punch a hole in my oil pan.
Old 8/23/14, 10:58 PM
GT Member

Check if you can pulley down that Maggie SC, and what the cost is because at altitude, you will lose a lot of boost.
Old 8/24/14, 06:49 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by BBM3
Thanks for making me have to go back and start over. I was all set to install an Eaton gen 6 TVS blower this winter. Eaton claims... "All TVS superchargers have a 2.4 pressure ratio capability and a thermal efficiency that exceeds 70 percent....." EATON Website Please help me understand why I should pass on the Magnuson kit in favor of a Vortech kit. The Magnuson kit looks so easy to install and easy to remove back to stock other than 2-1 inch holes that no one will ever see in the plastic fender liners. Thanks, -BB
I just read all 58 pages of the Vortech install instructions. Call me a Wimp. No way am I making all of those modifications. The Magnacharger I have planed on installing requires only 2 holes drilled in plastic splash shields and a couple of pieces of tube cut. Everything could be removed and returned to stock for ~$100 and one day of my labor.
That's the MAIN reason why I went with a Maggie.

Install.

Did you guys read my install thread? It took us an afternoon with beer. 2 buddies. Could've just been 1 buddy. No drilling or cutting of the timing block or anything else (I wasn't keen on doing that) except the plastic liner that gets all beat up and scraped up from the bottom for the coolant hoses. Easy.

Also went with Maggie for the TVS style, for instant throttle response. You don't get that in the centri. For the street, I want instant usable power down low. You've seen my dyno chart, yes?

Now remember, Maggie's are not known for BIG power. If you want 600+whp, go with a whipple or roush. But if you want reliable, streetable, conservative power, nothing touches Maggie.

Oh btw, I got it because it's blue too

Check if you can pulley down that Maggie SC, and what the cost is because at altitude, you will lose a lot of boost.
See "My Latest etc" thread? I'm running a 3.6" pulley for 8.5-9 lbs of boost rather than the stock 3.9 for 6.5psi.
Attached Thumbnails -image.jpg  

Last edited by FromZto5; 8/24/14 at 06:51 AM.
Old 8/24/14, 03:18 PM
GT Member

FromZto5,

Yes I did read your install tread. Very well documented and one of the reasons I planed to go with Magnuson.
I am not looking for big numbers.
I am mainly interested in making up for the HP/TQ lost at altitude.
Although little extra would be nice too.

I can handle either install no problem I now need to re-think which way I want to go especially after reading Deerslyer's impressions.

It sounds like either way a second party tune needs to be added as well. Something I had not budgeted for.

What did the tune cost you guys (Deerslayer and FromZto5)?

Thanks.
Old 8/24/14, 03:42 PM
I Have No Life

FromZto5, Yes I did read your install tread. Very well documented and one of the reasons I planed to go with Magnuson. I am not looking for big numbers. I am mainly interested in making up for the HP/TQ lost at altitude. Although little extra would be nice too. I can handle either install no problem I now need to re-think which way I want to go especially after reading Deerslyer's impressions. It sounds like either way a second party tune needs to be added as well. Something I had not budgeted for. What did the tune cost you guys (Deerslayer and FromZto5)? Thanks.
You can run the stock Magnuson tune. I ran with it a few months, but it's pig rich for safety and ultra conservative. Mileage is bad. Post tune, you can get anywhere, remote tune I think is 300 or more, dyno tune is double that.
Old 8/24/14, 04:45 PM
GT Member

I bought the Vortech Beefcake Special. Vortech V3 kit, ID1000 injectors, MaxFlow BAP & tuned by Lund Racing. If you pay cash, you can get the Special for 5500. I started adding stuff like the black kit, the t-bolts, JLT intake, Boss adapter & Brisk plugs so it was just over 6k. Trust me, on a 13 or 14, the install is not bad at all. The instructions look worse than it really is. Any supercharger is going to be fun on the Coyote. Good luck with your future build.
Old 8/24/14, 08:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
You can run the stock Magnuson tune. I ran with it a few months, but it's pig rich for safety and ultra conservative. Mileage is bad. Post tune, you can get anywhere, remote tune I think is 300 or more, dyno tune is double that.
I bought the Vortech Beefcake Special. Vortech V3 kit, ID1000 injectors, MaxFlow BAP & tuned by Lund Racing. If you pay cash, you can get the Special for 5500. I started adding stuff like the black kit, the t-bolts, JLT intake, Boss adapter & Brisk plugs so it was just over 6k. Trust me, on a 13 or 14, the install is not bad at all. The instructions look worse than it really is. Any supercharger is going to be fun on the Coyote. Good luck with your future build.
Thank you both for your input.

I am still not sure which way I will go but darn sure one or the other will be installed by years end.

Quick Reply: Steeda Tech Series - The Best Supercharger for Your Mustang is…