Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Shift issue after tune with my Auto.

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/11, 08:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift issue after tune with my Auto.

At WOT the car blasts into second gear and breaks the back end loose. However, 50% of the time when the car goes into second spinning it immediately shifts to 3rd and then downshifts again into second after gaining traction. Is there anyway I can get this resolved in the tuner???
Old 6/6/11, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well with six ratios in the auto you are spinning enough that your blowing right past the shift point going into third, then one you hook up in third and the throttle is still 100% it forces the car to downshift back into second. More of a driver issue then in the tune. They could soften the shift so that it doesn't shift as hard then it wouldn't break loose the tires as easily.
Old 6/6/11, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
Well with six ratios in the auto you are spinning enough that your blowing right past the shift point going into third, then one you hook up in third and the throttle is still 100% it forces the car to downshift back into second. More of a driver issue then in the tune. They could soften the shift so that it doesn't shift as hard then it wouldn't break loose the tires as easily.

Thanks for the insult on my driving abilities Going For Broke. Kinda of funny, Gus told me the same thing today. It is a traction issue only thank Goodness. Drag radials will cure it. I was racing a C6 Vette when it happened(it had happened before but I was racing when it happened this time so I had to figure out what was the deal) . BTW the 5.0 still took the Vette folks. Once it downshifted back to second I pulled on him 2-3 lengths past 100mph
Old 6/7/11, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I've never owned an automatic car personally, but I actually heard that happening in one of the well-recognized tuner's drag race video. I didn't quite get what was going on, hearing the motor rev up, then die down, then rev up again..you've answered my question - buy radials! Haha
Old 6/7/11, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shift it manually to avoid the upshift downshift, you will be quicker.
Old 6/7/11, 09:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by slidejob
Shift it manually to avoid the upshift downshift, you will be quicker.
You OBVOIUSLY never drove (or rather Raced) a 2011 Auto or you wouldn't Say that, it's Quite impossible, many folks have tried, and the 1/4 time is ALWAYS Slower!!!
Old 6/8/11, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Turboba6
You OBVOIUSLY never drove (or rather Raced) a 2011 Auto or you wouldn't Say that, it's Quite impossible, many folks have tried, and the 1/4 time is ALWAYS Slower!!!
Impossible is not in my vocabulary!

Why do all the auto tranny builders offer manual shifting?

Look at his first post for the issue.

If his car is not hooking up & the tranny is hunting for a gear it is going to slow him down. Shifting back and forth will slow you down, I'm sure you can agree on that.

If he is shifting manually he can shift up when he loses traction & carry that momentum through the gear. It may be ugly, but you may salvage a win.

More importantly, he needs to dial his car in so he doesn't break loose. Once accomplished he can let the auto do it's thing if he prefers.

Pedal to the metal is not always fast. Sometimes you have to back off.

Last edited by slidejob; 6/8/11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 6/8/11, 09:31 PM
Cobra Member

Ok, I think I have it figured out now. Slidejob, you are semi correct in the solution. I can't shift it manually to red line (shift point) because there is too much of a delay and it bangs off the rev limiter. So here is what works, Start the car in first gear, when it reaches ~4,000 rpm go ahead and shift to second (the car will automatically shift when it reaches it's set shift point in the tune of about 7000 rpm. once it gains traction in second you can go ahead and put it in 3rd or D and works like a charm. It's pretty sick barking 3rd gear at ~80mph in an Auto
Old 6/9/11, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
Ok, I think I have it figured out now. Slidejob, you are semi correct in the solution. I can't shift it manually to red line (shift point) because there is too much of a delay and it bangs off the rev limiter. So here is what works, Start the car in first gear, when it reaches ~4,000 rpm go ahead and shift to second (the car will automatically shift when it reaches it's set shift point in the tune of about 7000 rpm. once it gains traction in second you can go ahead and put it in 3rd or D and works like a charm. It's pretty sick barking 3rd gear at ~80mph in an Auto
Sweet, part of going fast is learning your car & knowing how it works best.
Yes, once it gets traction you can shift up, if you had it in drive it would do the upshift downshift which is NG.

Your car sounds pretty fast, should be in the 12's, post some times if you get it to the track.

Have fun!!!
Old 6/10/11, 10:16 AM
V6 Member

I think I see the stock 18's in your avatar, I had those. The stock tires suck, they would break loose on me if I hinted at driving aggressively. A better tire should solve your problem. I threw hankook ventus v12's on my car and now I can modulate the throttle on my launch pretty good and have no trouble on the 1-2 shift anymore (or the 2-3 anymore either haha).

I love this car.
Old 6/10/11, 12:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Black 5.0
I think I see the stock 18's in your avatar, I had those. The stock tires suck, they would break loose on me if I hinted at driving aggressively. A better tire should solve your problem. I threw hankook ventus v12's on my car and now I can modulate the throttle on my launch pretty good and have no trouble on the 1-2 shift anymore (or the 2-3 anymore either haha).

I love this car.
Yea the 235's aren't going to last long. They break loose like they're on ice with the tune and CAI. I'm trying to figure out what to do because I actually like the stock 18" wheels. Gus recommended 285/40 nitto DR's. Definitely want those for the track but not everyday driving. I'm kind of lost about what to do with the wheel / tire combo right now.
Old 6/12/11, 06:18 PM
GT Member

2012GT, when you were stock...
From a stop, with TC on, how much wheelspin did you get on launch?
( no torque braking or anything, just flooring it)
This morning, I got a good bit, enough to put a smile on my face.
This afternoon, eh, a little.
Old 6/14/11, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JPJr
2012GT, when you were stock...
From a stop, with TC on, how much wheelspin did you get on launch?
( no torque braking or anything, just flooring it)
This morning, I got a good bit, enough to put a smile on my face.
This afternoon, eh, a little.
The car would get traction pretty well. It would spin with the TC off but nothing like with a tune. The tune just makes the car sick bro. It breaks loose like a top fuel dragster now. I assume the torque management is bypassed etc in the tune. Just do it and quit putting your foot in the water. Jump in the lake man!
Old 6/14/11, 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

Slide, with a tune, with shifter in D, it shifts faster than going manual, there is a 1 second delay when you manual shift that isnt there when you let the Computer shift..
Old 6/14/11, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slidejob
Why do all the auto tranny builders offer manual shifting?
So that people that are either too dumb or too lazy to learn how to drive a manual can feel like they're in control of what their car's doing, even though they're not?

Old 6/14/11, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

But i will say, if a TCI Shifter comes out for the 2011 mustang.. ill be the first one to get the rachet shifter....
Old 6/14/11, 01:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Yea the 235's aren't going to last long. They break loose like they're on ice with the tune and CAI. I'm trying to figure out what to do because I actually like the stock 18" wheels. Gus recommended 285/40 nitto DR's. Definitely want those for the track but not everyday driving. I'm kind of lost about what to do with the wheel / tire combo right now.
The stock 18" tires are all-season radials, which are a year-round compromise. If you switch to higher-traction (and shorter-lived) "summer" tires, you'll notice an increase in traction, even using the same 235/50-18 size.

Just don't drive in them on the street below about 52 degrees; for that you will need dedicated winter tires (and perhaps dedicated wheels if you dont want to be paying someone seaonsally to swap/balance your tires). Alternatively you could use your all-season tires in the winter, but be aware that they are a compromise and won't stop you as quickly as the winter tires would.
Old 6/15/11, 09:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
Slide, with a tune, with shifter in D, it shifts faster than going manual, there is a 1 second delay when you manual shift that isnt there when you let the Computer shift..
Thank You! EXACTLY what I said earlier!! If you try to Manual Shift these cars in the 1/4 they will be SLOWER! Period!
Old 6/18/11, 06:48 AM
Cobra Member

Turboba6 (and others with Auto and tune), When you floor your car at highway speeds, will it sometimes drop to 3rd and then second after it decided 3rd wasn't low enough ? Mine does it sometimes depending on the speed (around ~60 mph).

Last edited by 2012GT; 6/18/11 at 06:49 AM.
Old 6/18/11, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Turboba6 (and others with Auto and tune), When you floor your car at highway speeds, will it sometimes drop to 3rd and then second after it decided 3rd wasn't low enough ? Mine does it sometimes depending on the speed (around ~60 mph).
Yes. It's done it twice so far, although I don't have too many miles on it since adding the CAI/tune. I wanted to give it a little time to see if it corrects itself. Maybe the PMC will learn? I also wanted to gather specifics before I contact Steeda.

It may have something to do with raising the rev limiter. But to explain... You're cruising along at highway speed - let's call it 65 - you go to WOT, the trans kicks down to 3rd with the motor pulling stongly for about 1 -2 seconds (perfect so far) then it kicks down again which instantly puts it at redline, so it has to immediately upshift. Very annoying.

Quick Reply: Shift issue after tune with my Auto.