Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

It’s all in the toon…

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/15, 04:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s all in the toon…

(*Disclaimer – This thread is NOT to bash anyone, just explain my results with converting to a CJ setup)

So last year I bit the bullet and decided to void my warranty in glorious fashion. I decided that I wanted to install a CJ intake and full exhaust. In my research I found that it would be prudent to install the billet oil pump gears and upgrade to boss valve springs to spin it up to 8k to get the bang for the buck from the CJ swap. I also installed the FRPP exhaust cams as well since I got them for $150 shipped… I was torn on the tuner and after much reading various forums and talking to others I decided to use AED. So after the install, the first start up on the base AED tune went fine. Did some required datalogs before the wot pull. Car ran good but some small idle issues. Three revisions later, idle improved but still would hunt on occasion. AED told me to do an idle relearn and called it good. I was happy, but the throttle response was the best I could describe as “muted” and would still hunt for idle sometimes. AED explained that is how he tunes for the large mono-blade CJ throttle body. Sounded good to me and drove the car.

About two months later I had what seemed to be a Throttle body failure. I got it used from SVT and after talking with AED found out the seller flips Summit returns… So I had to buy another one new and got some of my money back on the other one… I will say a big thank you to Shaun about that as I wouldn’t have had any clue to why my “only used to test fit” TB went bad…

So fast forward to May and the release of HP tuners and nGauge for our Fords. After learning about what HP tuners is doing vs SCT, I really wanted to try it out. But AED was an SCT shop so I decided to try Lund. The base tune was very close, only needed three datalogs and two revisions. The car idles like stock and throttle response is instant, like a cable. The nGauge live datalogging as a great tool as well. Right now I am monitoring knock, coolant temp, incoming ait temp and MPH. Overall very impressed with the drivability and the throttle response. For me that part is huge, with the AED tune it did feel like I lost some low end torque with the muted throttle. But with the Lund tune, not even close. It feels just like it did stock with low end grunt. So now after logging about 1500 miles on the Lund tune, I can safely say it was worth it. Car is smooth as silk, idles like its stock and very docile until I hit the throttle. WOT just roast the tires at will, from a roll or dig. No disrespect to AED, any issues I had he took care of. But for me Lund has this Coyote down pat. I can’t wait for HP Tuners/Lund to get KAM resets and crank relearn capabilities so I can sell my X4.
Old 7/30/15, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Good info, thanks for sharing your experiences.

P.S. With the new oil pump gears, cam and valve springs how high does your Coyote rev to now?

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 7/30/15 at 09:13 AM.
Old 7/30/15, 12:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
It’s all in the toon…

I read this the other day and have been thinking about your comments pertaining to throttle response. I have a Steeda cai with ported boss intake with the AED tune package and the car runs great, all three tunes but I can't help but feel that the throttle response just seems slow. Maybe slow is not the right word but it seems very vague.

I had a modded out 06 GT and don't remember it feeling so slow to respond to input like my 14 does now. And we have an 04 Mach 1 with jlt intake and a host of other mods, of course it is hard cable but I touch the throttle in it and in neutral it jumps almost 2k rpm, I do the same in the 14 and i'm lucky if it jumps 800 rpm.

I'm half tempted to try a Lund tune just for comparison. Wth it's only money lol.
Old 7/30/15, 02:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
I read this the other day and have been thinking about your comments pertaining to throttle response. I have a Steeda cai with ported boss intake with the AED tune package and the car runs great, all three tunes but I can't help but feel that the throttle response just seems slow. Maybe slow is not the right word but it seems very vague.

I had a modded out 06 GT and don't remember it feeling so slow to respond to input like my 14 does now. And we have an 04 Mach 1 with jlt intake and a host of other mods, of course it is hard cable but I touch the throttle in it and in neutral it jumps almost 2k rpm, I do the same in the 14 and i'm lucky if it jumps 800 rpm.

I'm half tempted to try a Lund tune just for comparison. Wth it's only money lol.
I went from a Steeda tune to a Redliners tune and the difference in throttle response was phenomenal. In fact, I dare say the redliners tune is a bit TOO good, it could probably be backed off a touch for street driving (but it's perfect for spirited driving).
Old 7/30/15, 11:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
ItÂ’s all in the toonÂ…

Originally Posted by tom281

I hate admitting that my mind is wondering too. I wonder if AED does this on purpose to keep a more stock-like driving feel.
Old 8/2/15, 10:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an auto with 32,000 miles and have had a Steeda 93 tune since 1,000 miles. The tune is insanely abrubt but has amazing power (obviously safe with 30+ miles). The car shifts more than hardcore at wot and am going to switch tunes due to the insane shifts with Steeda's tune. If you read some of my previous posts, it will explain the issues. If I was a manual car, I'd be Steeda tune thru&thru with the tune. I love Steeda and will vouch for them until the end but if you're an auto guy, I'd try some other tuners. ...note: if anyone ever turns a wrench on my car it will only be Steeda. all of my suspension is Steeda and installed by them ; I beg a stock Boss to hang with me on a road course or drag strip any day.