Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Roush phase 1 or Magnacharger

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/15, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roush phase 1 or Magnacharger

I might be able to swing for one of the above blowers by late summer for my 14 GT. Between the two, which one is the better choice for me? My car will not see a track, I am going to be using the tune that comes with it, and it will be installed professionally. My car has 3.73 gears and is a 6 speed. I have no need for a 700 hp monster.

Reliability and drivality are the two most important factors for me. I am looking for one that has no overheating issue, no surging issue.
Old 3/5/15, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both are viable options. Which one looks better to you? I beleive the Roush will appear more like a factory install but the Magnacharger kit looks sweet too.
Old 3/5/15, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
Both are viable options. Which one looks better to you? I beleive the Roush will appear more like a factory install but the Magnacharger kit looks sweet too.
Based on looks alone, I would pick the Magnacharger. It shows off my chrome coil covers better:-)
Old 3/6/15, 07:23 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the ROUSH or VMP would give a little more power. I believe the VMP has the best cooling with a triple core dual fan intercooler. They all will be fun. If you choose to build on it the ROUSH or VMP have room to gain more HP.

Last edited by 14stangGT; 3/6/15 at 07:25 AM.
Old 3/6/15, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VMP > Roush > Magnacharger
Old 3/7/15, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

If you are going to get a warranty and stick with the supplied tune, either choice is fine. But... You will find yourself craving more. So you might as well get the Roush to leave more room for upgrades and tuning support. If you have the will power to stay with the warranty, then no harm done.
Old 3/7/15, 12:02 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I think I answered someone else's question before regarding this same topic.

Essentially you're going through all that I went through 2 years ago.

I analyzed every roots blower and manufacturer, and came out with the magnuson for the decision. Why? They had the best blend for ease of install, cost, reliability, and customer service. It won't produce big power numbers like the VMP or Roush, but that's perfect because I want reliability above all. 520whp is quite alright with me.

Search for my thread on all of this, it should answer all your questions.

The other guy above ranked magnuson lowest of 3, but again it depends on what scale you're rating it on. Mine is flipped, with Maggie on top
Old 3/7/15, 12:03 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Edit: I love my Maggie setup
Old 3/7/15, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

575 HP is a mountain of fun in these cars. It's only about 6 PSI of boost and that isn't a lot.

Again per an earlier post of mine. Superchargers don't hurt motors. Poor tunes do and lack of fuel. As long as you don't lean out, have a poorly set up timing curve, knock sensor settings, MAF fuel/air curve, and don't have a fuel delivery issue you will not hurt the motor.

The #47 injectors that the Roush kit comes with are plenty for 575HP. Our fuel pumps can keep up with this demand.

You'll be fine. If warranty is an issue for you. I would recommend two paths. Wait until your warranty has expired or purchase the optional warranty through Roush or Magnacharger and use their tune only.

Any who. You have posted a number of times regarding this topic. Which leads me to believe you are very nervous about forced induction.

You can also just enjoy the 400+ HP our cars have stock. In stock form these cars are plenty of fun to drive and will still kick the pants of most cars on the road. So either way you can still feel confident about what you drive.
Old 3/7/15, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
575 HP is a mountain of fun in these cars. It's only about 6 PSI of boost and that isn't a lot.

Again per an earlier post of mine. Superchargers don't hurt motors. Poor tunes do and lack of fuel. As long as you don't lean out, have a poorly set up timing curve, knock sensor settings, MAF fuel/air curve, and don't have a fuel delivery issue you will not hurt the motor.

The #47 injectors that the Roush kit comes with are plenty for 575HP. Our fuel pumps can keep up with this demand.

You'll be fine. If warranty is an issue for you. I would recommend two paths. Wait until your warranty has expired or purchase the optional warranty through Roush or Magnacharger and use their tune only.

Any who. You have posted a number of times regarding this topic. Which leads me to believe you are very nervous about forced induction.

You can also just enjoy the 400+ HP our cars have stock. In stock form these cars are plenty of fun to drive and will still kick the pants of most cars on the road. So either way you can still feel confident about what you drive.
You hit it right on. My last Mustang was a 97 CobraI I got new in September 97) in which I had a Vortech put on. It didn't go very well. The car didn't actually overheated, but it ran warmer than when it was NA. I eventually ended up selling that car after only 3 years of ownership.

If I ever decide to get a blower(Roush or Magnacharger), I will definitely keep the stock tune and will definitely get the optional insurance.

I appreciate everybody chiming in here.
Old 3/7/15, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I get it man. Horsepower does create additional heat. No way around it.

Fortunately these new setups are much more efficient than systems of the past. The new tunes today, turn the fans on sooner, etc. which helps.

There could have been a multitude of reasons why your old Cobra ran hot. Did the supercharging system require use of a lower temperature thermostat?