Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

New Ford Performance oil separator.

Old 2/3/16, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
New Ford Performance oil separator.

I just thought I would let you guys know that Ford Racing has put out a new oil separator. Here is a link so you can read about it and see some pictures of it.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42393

Wayne
Old 2/3/16, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
These cars need one bad!
I think they should come from the factory with something.
But I'm happy with what I have.
My Moroso works great and looks good!
Old 2/4/16, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've been running one on my car since it had about 200 miles on it. I also think it helps keep my oil cleaner. I just changed the oil on mine with 7,200 miles on the oil change and the oil was still very clean looking. I'm just running the 5W-20 Motorcraft blend.

My exhaust tips also do not get any of the black soot that I see on other Mustangs. They are totally clean. I'm not sure if that can be contributed to the catch can but since I'm not having oil go into my intake, maybe it does.

Wayne
Old 2/5/16, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
It's nice that it looks OEM and blends in under the hood better but most the pictures I've seen look like you have to remove the engine cover to install it so I'm not sure if you have to do the same to remove it to empty it. I think you have disconnect both hoses to remove it to empty it every time, that would get OLD real fast. If you also have a STB, imagine that pain in the ****. Plus, it's plastic and has 4 screws to remove to drain it. Poorly designed IMO. Although the JLT takes some heat on most forums, I love mine. It's metal, takes like 1 minute to unscrew it and empty it then reinstall it and I've never seen oil in the lines to and from it.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 2/5/16 at 08:12 AM.
Old 2/5/16, 12:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered the one from Bob's Auto Sports. Waiting for UPS to deliver it today.
Old 2/5/16, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
It's nice that it looks OEM and blends in under the hood better but most the pictures I've seen look like you have to remove the engine cover to install it so I'm not sure if you have to do the same to remove it to empty it. I think you have disconnect both hoses to remove it to empty it every time, that would get OLD real fast. If you also have a STB, imagine that pain in the ****. Plus, it's plastic and has 4 screws to remove to drain it. Poorly designed IMO. Although the JLT takes some heat on most forums, I love mine. It's metal, takes like 1 minute to unscrew it and empty it then reinstall it and I've never seen oil in the lines to and from it.
Both ends of the hoses uses Ford's quick connect fittings so you could just disconnect the exit line at the separator so you leave the outlet hose connected at the intake so you wouldn't have to remove the STB. I have a STB on my 14 GT and I can pop up my engine cover enough so I can get my entire hand under there.

Once removed, you wouldn't have to take the lid off to empty. Just pour the oil out of the inlet barb. The plastic of the unit feels pretty heavy duty so I doubt you have to worry about it breaking.

What kind of can are you currently running and how have you not seen oil in the lines going to the can but you get oil inside the can. That doesn't make sense to me. I have always found signs of oil inside the inlet lines of all of the catch cans I've tried out.
Old 2/5/16, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gjcavana
I ordered the one from Bob's Auto Sports. Waiting for UPS to deliver it today.
That is the one I'm currently running and my current favorite. You will like it.

Wayne
Old 2/5/16, 11:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I really like that fact that this is from Ford. It has the factory look and since it is from Ford performance it is warranted. Its on the list. The Steeda unit I have will now go to the Drivers side.
Old 2/7/16, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I installed this separator today.

Name:  006_zpsitf4yrmi.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  207.4 KB
Name:  007_zpsbdvsyvpn.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  189.2 KB
Old 2/7/16, 10:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
The install looks Factory. How does it get emptied?
Old 2/7/16, 11:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Do ford make one for the drivers side as well?
Old 2/8/16, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
The install looks Factory. How does it get emptied?
Ford Performance has not put out the instructions for this yet so I don't know what their recommended method is but I'm going to assume that you are to remove the separator and either take the lid off and dump the oil out or remove the intake hose and dump the oil out the intake port. You could also leave the separator mounted and take off the lid and use a turkey baster to remove the oil.
Old 2/9/16, 10:11 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Definitely like the OEM fit and finish quality, however I'm not fond of the 3/8 " oem tubing.. What I like most about the Bob's can, is the longer run of 5/8" hose which help condense crankcase vapors more efficiently and also includes more layers of filter media to trap and prevent them from getting past the PCV connectors at the intake..

From what I've seen of the FRPP separator thus far, is just a panel filter that separates the lower and upper chambers, so my question is this.. Will this panel filter be effective enough or will crankcase oil still manage to get past the PCV barb connectors and into the intake manifold ?

At any rate, until it's been tested, we'll just have to sit back and wait to find out how well this separator is going to work out

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/9/16 at 10:12 PM.
Old 2/10/16, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Definitely like the OEM fit and finish quality, however I'm not fond of the 3/8 " oem tubing.. What I like most about the Bob's can, is the longer run of 5/8" hose which help condense crankcase vapors more efficiently and also includes more layers of filter media to trap and prevent them from getting past the PCV connectors at the intake..

From what I've seen of the FRPP separator thus far, is just a panel filter that separates the lower and upper chambers, so my question is this.. Will this panel filter be effective enough or will crankcase oil still manage to get past the PCV barb connectors and into the intake manifold ?

At any rate, until it's been tested, we'll just have to sit back and wait to find out how well this separator is going to work out
That is the million dollar question, how effective is it going to be? The filter looks very fine and when I put my 1,000 lumen LED flashlight up against the backside of the filter, hardly any light showed through. This light is very bright. I also held it up over my head between the ceiling light with a 60 watt bulb and no light at all could be seen through it.

It has only been for sale for a little while so no one has probably driven with it on their car enough to see how well it does and I have not found any information on the testing that Ford Performance did when they developed it.
Old 2/18/16, 10:06 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the part #?

EDIT: nevermind, found it: M-6766-A50

Last edited by K.A.I.N; 2/18/16 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2/22/16, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT

The tubing on this new separator is the same as the factory which I believe is 5/8 and not 3/8. I used Factory Ford quick connect fittings with the 5/8" hose that came with my Bob's can and it was a tight fit putting the connectors in.

Also, Ford Performance is coming out with a driver's side separator. It has the same part number as the passenger side except that it has an "S" at the end of part number.

Wayne
Old 2/28/16, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by 70monte
The tubing on this new separator is the same as the factory which I believe is 5/8 and not 3/8. I used Factory Ford quick connect fittings with the 5/8" hose that came with my Bob's can and it was a tight fit putting the connectors in.

Also, Ford Performance is coming out with a driver's side separator. It has the same part number as the passenger side except that it has an "S" at the end of part number.

Wayne
I keep confusing the passenger side tubing with the driver's size, as the driver's side has the larger 5/8 tubing on the 05-10 Mustangs, where as the 11-14 Coyote's are just the opposite on the passenger side..

However despite the 5/8 " tubing.. My concern is still never the less the shorter OEM tubing over the longer run of hose of the Bob's can which IMO is part of the reason why it's effective in preventing crankcase oil from getting past the PCV connectors at the intake manifold to begin with..
Old 3/1/16, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just found out that the driver's side Ford Performance can will only work on the 2015-2016 GT350.

As far as the longer vs shorter hoses. I have read and been told that longer hoses makes a big difference in how much oil gets into the intake but I'm not convinced that it makes as much difference as claimed.

The reason I say this is because I originally had my Bob's can mounted by the strut tower like the instructions say. I later moved it next to the master cylinder in the corner of the engine compartment.

I still seemed to get the same amount of oil film at the intake fitting with both mounting locations. Mounting in the corner did not reduce the oil to nothing.
Old 3/1/16, 09:44 PM

So if the longer run of hose isn't making a difference ? Then it must be the amount of filter mesh along with the filter ring, design of the inlet/outlet ports of the Bob's can that a make a difference..

All I know is this.. Since I've been running the Bob's can, no crankcase oil has been getting past the PCV connectors at the intake, so unless the Ford performance separator does a better job over the Bob's can in which I highly doubt.. I don't see any reason for making the switch to begin with and being that my Mustang is also a 2006 GT, I'm not even certain if it can adapted to properly fit and mount anyhow
Old 3/4/16, 08:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I really like the look and simplicity of the Ford can, but I also love the "reported" effectiveness of the Bob's can. Since I have neither at the moment, I lean towards the Ford model for simplicity of install and integrated looks.

Can't wait for Wayne to review the Ford can's performance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Ford Performance oil separator.