Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Need some feedback of short throw brackets and shifters.

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/15, 03:24 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need some feedback of short throw brackets and shifters.

Hi all. I'm thinking about getting the Barton short throw shifter and bracket (the one piece one). First question, does the bracket introduce vibration into the car? Has anyone gotten just the bracket and left the shifter stock? General opinions? I've missed a 2-3 shift even on a freeway onramp. Thanks!
Old 3/30/15, 05:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't have a GT.... but, the concept and generalization is the same. I've experienced locked out in 2nd with the stock setup. I installed the barton short throw shifter and 2 post bracket, LOVE IT.

I just did both... might as well if you're going through the work of changing the bracket.
Old 3/31/15, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll make it easy for you...
MGW
Old 3/31/15, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boss man
MGW

it really is one half dozen or the other and boils down to preference. I can bet you my car that if you drove it, you'd have no idea if it were one or the other. fortunately for you, I'm not a gambling type of guy
Old 3/31/15, 03:11 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
MGW
LOL. I really need to count how many times I have to post the letters "MGW" in response to someone even THINKING about any modification to their shifter, etc.

After all this, I can't believe folks still ask what brand shifter improvements they should do. It's not even a question anymore. The answer is ALWAYS, MGW.

To the OP asking the original question, don't even think about it, just buy an MGW. Case closed. It's probably the best mod on my car. And I even have the "old" MGW version (2012).

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
it really is one half dozen or the other and boils down to preference. I can bet you my car that if you drove it, you'd have no idea if it were one or the other. fortunately for you, I'm not a gambling type of guy
Joe... not quite sure I agree with you there. I know a couple folks who had Barton's, etc, and they switched over to MGW, and it's night and day. I'm sure there is improvement over stock, but have you ever tried to shift an MGW? You might be surprised at how different (much BETTER) it is over stock OR a Barton, etc.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/31/15 at 03:12 PM.
Old 3/31/15, 03:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A guppy Mustang friend of mine I've been helping out has an MGW on order. I'm going to help him install it. If I like it versus the Barton I'm ordering one same day. LOL. I've just been waiting for someone close to me to have one so I can drive one to see the difference. Then the Barton will be for sale.
Old 3/31/15, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
A guppy Mustang friend of mine I've been helping out has an MGW on order. I'm going to help him install it. If I like it versus the Barton I'm ordering one same day. LOL. I've just been waiting for someone close to me to have one so I can drive one to see the difference. Then the Barton will be for sale.
nice! let me know your thoughts on one and the other! i know the Barton one has a shorter throw but, not by much...

I look forward to your honesty!
Old 3/31/15, 07:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Joe... not quite sure I agree with you there. I know a couple folks who had Barton's, etc, and they switched over to MGW, and it's night and day. I'm sure there is improvement over stock, but have you ever tried to shift an MGW? You might be surprised at how different (much BETTER) it is over stock OR a Barton, etc.
I haven't. just figured that my car shifts the same and slightly better than my neighbors 2010 GT500... figured that its enough to put a smile on my face when he acknowledges it as well. its good enough for me I suppose.
Old 3/31/15, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 14BlackGT
Hi all. I'm thinking about getting the Barton short throw shifter and bracket (the one piece one). First question, does the bracket introduce vibration into the car? Has anyone gotten just the bracket and left the shifter stock? General opinions? I've missed a 2-3 shift even on a freeway onramp. Thanks!
I have the Barton shifter bracket with the stock MT82 shifter. It helps with missed gears. The other MAJOR thing that helps with missed gears is driver mod. Slow down, don't rush it, don't jerk it. Deliberate and concise does it. Don't try to find 3rd or 4th. Let the centering spring find it for you.

I have 3.73 and even with the steep gearing the car rewards ~1s gear changes. If you do a consecutive upshifts it takes roughly a second for the RPM to drop down to match the next gear.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/31/15 at 07:48 PM.
Old 4/1/15, 03:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...idding-me.html
Old 4/10/15, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 14BlackGT
I have just the Barton 2 piece bracket. I thought it made a pretty big difference considering it was only $100. Shifts felt more solid and I dont miss 3rd or 4th nearly as often. It does add some noise though. A fair tradeoff in my opinion.
Old 4/13/15, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
MGW
This

/thread
Old 4/14/15, 08:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Blowfish bracket with a Steeda shifter. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

The MGW is a fine piece no doubt but it's also pricey. Sure you get what you pay for yadda yadda yadda lol. But because some people have to have the best of the best and are always looking to upgrade, you can find deals on used equipment that people are selling to buy an MGW. I bought the Blowfish and Steeda units used for less than a new MGW.

Previously on my 2006 I had three different setups: Saleen shift block, Pro 5.0 shifter, and then MGW shifter. Out of the three back then I preferred the Pro 5.0.
Old 4/14/15, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 on the Blowfish Bracket... mine is mated to a Ford Racing shifter.
Old 4/15/15, 08:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a plain old one piece Barton bracket that I spent $40 on. It firmed up the shifts and I have not missed a gear since. I ran it 8 times at the track last weekend with no problems shifting. It is a good temp solution if what you are worried about is missing gears and not as much about the notchy cheap nature of the shifter.
Old 4/21/15, 07:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my version 1 MGW race spec in for about a month now and wow! Couldn't recommend it more. Granted I've only driven stock and my MGW so I can't compare it directly to any of the others but the MGW Race Spec does two things the other shifters don't. It replaces the weak mounting arm from the transmission to the side of the shifter with a solid piece of billet straight on. This solves the problems people would use the blowfish for with other shifters. It also replaces the actual shift linkage with a solid arm. The stock linkage has two articulating joints that bind up and help give it that notchy feel.

The other options may be fine but for these reasons I think the MGW, the Race Spec at least is still the top dog. It's expensive but if you're willing and able to drop the cash I don't see why anybody would go with anything else.
Old 4/21/15, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I think whats also VERY Important in the 2 companies that you speak of..Blowfish Racing and MGW is the over the top support to all customers.
Simple reason>>> They build there product that they sell. Where others just $ell them.
I have the blowfish bracket and I am 100% happy. Whats nice about the Blowfish bracket is it gives you the CHOICE to run what ever shifter you like. I like that!
Old 4/23/15, 09:41 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ that's a really good point. Buying something from someone who makes it themselves, and supports it fully. MGW/blowfish. FTW.
Old 4/23/15, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil

I'm just curious if you got around to installing the MGW? is it worth the money over the lesser expensive Barton brand?

That was the deciding factor for me, I found the Barton shifter to be more affordable.

Lets be clear. "more affordable" doesn't mean inferior quality/product.

I would have bought an MGW if it were in my price range. I'm happy with what I have regardless