Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW Race Spec and Blowfish bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/14, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
MGW Race Spec and Blowfish bracket

Hi all,

I have a 2014 GT with the less than stellar stock shifter and I was convinced I wanted an MGW with the Blowfish bracket. Then I saw lots of people complaining about NVH with the Blowfish bracket which prompted Blowfish to engineer a revision, soon to be available:

https://m.facebook.com/mustangblowfi...ce=46&refid=17

Well cool, I guess I'll just wait. But while I was waiting, MGW created a revision to their famous shifter as well:

https://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...=NAQGS6PPD&s=1

If you watch the video, their approach is a super rigid remote mount and they recommend mounting the shifter to the body (unlike Blowfish) to dissipate vibration...It's almost like they are recommending directly against the Blowfish bracket without actually naming them.

I got these links from two different forums, and kind of wanted to get your thoughts. I want my next mod to address the shifter, probably in the next 3-6 months. New MGW only, new Blowfish bracket only, or both?
Old 11/25/14, 07:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm very interested in these same options. I have a steeda bracket and it works pretty well. I have read stories of folks getting no lock out and no grinding. It's made me consider the mgw and blowfish racing part. I rarely have issues but when I do, it's incredibly annoying. I hope folks that own the new mgw piece once it's out post here. I'd love to hear first hand experience. I don't care about vibration or harshness but noise is a deal breaker for me. I almost bought the blowfish part before the noise complaints. Thank you for sharing this. I am subscribed to see all the comments.
Old 11/25/14, 08:23 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was lucky enough to get in in the first order of the new MGW shifter...it was shipped today and will be here on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll get it installed next week and I'll post my opinions. Only mod I have in this area is the Steeda bracket. I still sometimes get high speed lockout from 2nd to 3rd...no other issues such as grinding or popping out of gear. I have a MGW in my sons 01 Bullitt and I've always been impressed with the quality and feel of turbo shift so I have big expectations for this shifter as well
Old 11/25/14, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting. It sounds like from this video, the Race Spec MGW Revision took place on the 15's. Did they completely re-designed the 14's as well? Can the current 14 MGW owners add those parts?
Old 11/25/14, 09:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Interesting. It sounds like from this video, the Race Spec MGW Revision took place on the 15's. Did they completely re-designed the 14's as well? Can the current 14 MGW owners add those parts?
I don't think the '15 model is even out yet, but the 11-14 is. There are some minor differences I guess.

From what I read, I think you can return your current shifter for a $200 core if you buy a new one.
Old 11/26/14, 10:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you can use the new MGW with the BF bracket, and it doesn't look like you need to, what the BF bracket does from underneath the new MGW does from above. I have a BF bracket and have loved it since I beta'd the unit. I think it is great for the street and haven't yet used it at the track/strip but I have read of many who have and they love it. That being said I love the look of the new MGW and I will probably buy it if reviews from track rats is as good or better than those using the BF bracket.
Old 11/27/14, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

The race spec needs no bracket. It's the best and cheapest way to go. I also got one of the first batches. It gets delivered tomorrow. I'll post a review once installed.
Old 11/27/14, 07:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
The race spec needs no bracket. It's the best and cheapest way to go. I also got one of the first batches. It gets delivered tomorrow. I'll post a review once installed.
Can you post the install notes? I don't think you can say for certain it is the best mod out there without having tried the others, however it looks extremely good.
Old 11/28/14, 01:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
This is my suspicion as well. But I don't think it's correct to say this is the cheapest.

It's late, so I could be mistaken, but I thought the MGW is $450 and the Blowfish bracket is $300 (assuming the price doesn't go up for the new design).

It is definitely cheaper than getting a different shifter plus the Blowfish though, maybe that's what you meant?
Old 11/28/14, 06:30 PM

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I already have a 2014 spec MGW installed and also got in on the pre-Labor Day Blowfish bracket purchase price. I was planning on installing the Blowfish bracket next spring when I get all my other upgrades together for installation. Now I see this MGW race spec design and now I am all unsure on what to do.

I like the rigid new billet top mount and the non articulating shift rod but at the moment I still think the Blowfish bracket with my original MGW may be the way to go. MGW is using the shift rod as a second mount but the Blowfish bracket is mounted directly to the trans and shifter so it should be the more solid mounted of the two designs. As long as the rear mount doesn't hit the studs it should be pretty quiet as well. I hope the new Blowfish design includes a smaller rear mount for the MGW or I may trim my mount slightly to help clear the studs if I do go with the Blowfish/MGW gen 1 route.
Old 11/28/14, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RaceRed-GT
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I already have a 2014 spec MGW installed and also got in on the pre-Labor Day Blowfish bracket purchase price. I was planning on installing the Blowfish bracket next spring when I get all my other upgrades together for installation. Now I see this MGW race spec design and now I am all unsure on what to do.

I like the rigid new billet top mount and the non articulating shift rod but at the moment I still think the Blowfish bracket with my original MGW may be the way to go. MGW is using the shift rod as a second mount but the Blowfish bracket is mounted directly to the trans and shifter so it should be the more solid mounted of the two designs. As long as the rear mount doesn't hit the studs it should be pretty quiet as well. I hope the new Blowfish design includes a smaller rear mount for the MGW or I may trim my mount slightly to help clear the studs if I do go with the Blowfish/MGW gen 1 route.
This is logical, if I had an MGW and gen 1 Blowfish already, I'd install it first and then see what it needs. I think both MGW and Blowfish have an upgrade path as well if you aren't satisfied.
Old 11/28/14, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope the new Blowfish design includes a smaller rear mount for the MGW or I may trim my mount slightly to help clear the studs if I do go with the Blowfish/MGW gen 1 route.
I have the BlowFish bracket (yet to put on) and I corresponded with Steve of BlowFish this last Wednesday on if the update would include anything if using the MGW shifter and his reply was
" The noise issues are not a problem for MGW users, so the update will not effect you."
Old 11/28/14, 09:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

MGW is using the shift rod as a second mount but the Blowfish bracket is mounted directly to the trans and shifter so it should be the more solid mounted of the two designs.
You still have the stock shifting rod that can articulate with the BF bracket and none race spec MGW, that won't be as solid as the race spec's new shift rod.
Old 11/28/14, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Hi all,

I have a 2014 GT with the less than stellar stock shifter and I was convinced I wanted an MGW with the Blowfish bracket. Then I saw lots of people complaining about NVH with the Blowfish bracket which prompted Blowfish to engineer a revision, soon to be available:

Well cool, I guess I'll just wait. But while I was waiting, MGW created a revision to their famous shifter as well:

If you watch the video, their approach is a super rigid remote mount and they recommend mounting the shifter to the body (unlike Blowfish) to dissipate vibration...It's almost like they are recommending directly against the Blowfish bracket without actually naming them.

I got these links from two different forums, and kind of wanted to get your thoughts. I want my next mod to address the shifter, probably in the next 3-6 months. New MGW only, new Blowfish bracket only, or both?
So...all the specific concerns I had about the BF bracket long before this was released that were poo-pooed by many actually ended up being valid enough to redesign it? Interesting.

I went with the "regular" 2014 MGW and have been thrilled with with it. I've sung its praises over and over. If they've gone and improved it even more, that's mind blowing to me. Your only question should be, "What is the fastest way to get my money to MGW?"
Old 11/29/14, 12:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77

So...all the specific concerns I had about the BF bracket long before this was released that were poo-pooed by many actually ended up being valid enough to redesign it? Interesting.

I went with the "regular" 2014 MGW and have been thrilled with with it. I've sung its praises over and over. If they've gone and improved it even more, that's mind blowing to me. Your only question should be, "What is the fastest way to get my money to MGW?"
Thanks for the info. It's not like I don't believe you but I am having trouble finding the thread where you posted "specific concerns." I'd love to read it if you have the link. If you don't have the link can you please share what you said?
Old 11/29/14, 06:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Thanks for the info. It's not like I don't believe you but I am having trouble finding the thread where you posted "specific concerns." I'd love to read it if you have the link. If you don't have the link can you please share what you said?
No problem bro, I know exactly where it is...cuz my own shifter thread was hijacked by the Blowfish debate.

Here's what I said (some paraphrasing):

Color me intrigued by this new bracket, but to my eyes there are a few issues, when using it with the MGW:

1. It doesn't look like the heatshield will fit. One of the biggest bonus features of the MGW is the added refinement it brings to the car. Part of that is down to the big padded heatshield. If you have to remove or cut away the heatshield, that's a deal breaker.

2. This looks like its bound to introduce more noise and vibration from the transmission to the shifter assembly and therefore the interior. Particularly if my assessment number 1 is correct, this would be a big problem for me.

The concept is interesting and could solve some issues, but with my newfound refinement and action in my MGW I'm just not willing to risk it until its spent some time in the wild. No disrespect to beta testers, but having been a part of a small scale public beta test, you often end up lauding improvements while ignoring or playing down limitations or downfalls. I'm finally 100% happy with my shifter and I'm not about to screw around with that.
I went from the Energy Suspension bushing to the MGW. While it did clean it up a *bit*, it still just didn't feel solid or smooth. As solid and unsloppy as the MGW is, you would think it would introduce a fair bit of NVH, but as I posted in my review, thanks to MGW's uncompromising approach, they've made this thing functionally built-like-a-brick-$#!t-house flawless and actually REDUCED NVH. That seems impossible, especially as you're pulling beautifully machined pieces out of the box that fit together better than even Lego ever could. My exhaust sounds crisper because I get less cabin resonance coming up through the trans tunnel I think. I had it on the highway and it's quieter there too, and I have a Boss exhaust. I can't help but think that heatshield is a big part of the NVH improvement, and giving that up is a 100% deal-breaker.
Here's my recommendation: For hard track use, get the MGW and this new bracket. For street cars that might occasionally see the track, but more often drive pretty girls to nice restaurants, get an MGW on its own.
Full Thread: https://themustangsource.com/forums/...r-help-531435/
Old 11/29/14, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks lakeguy, I remember that thread now. Very interesting predictions.
Old 11/29/14, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

No problem, I tend to research these kinds of things to death (I'm not OCD, though I do have some leanings that way when it comes to my car ) before I pull the trigger and I usually know what I'm getting by the time the box shows up on my door step. I'm also not really an "I told you so" kind of guy but vindication does feel good.
Old 11/29/14, 10:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Anyone have more info on that MGW $200 core swap? I have the original 11-14 MGW and I still have shifting issues every now and then. It's not 100% confidence inspiring and that replacement rubber boot was TERRIBLE to install.
Old 11/29/14, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Anyone have more info on that MGW $200 core swap? I have the original 11-14 MGW and I still have shifting issues every now and then. It's not 100% confidence inspiring and that replacement rubber boot was TERRIBLE to install.
I have the later updated version that kept the factory boot. It was a total PITA but shifting is great. Just some decent fluid (RP Syncromax??) and she'll be 100% worry free.

Quick Reply: MGW Race Spec and Blowfish bracket