Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just installed the 11-12 GT500 axleback

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/14, 05:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed the 11-12 GT500 axleback

And man is it in my sweet spot. Understand, I came from a '12 Civic Si and I bought what was supposed to be the quietest 3 inch exhaust for it and it was godawful terribly loud and droning. As a result, when I got my '14, I said it wasn't going to be touched. But then I realized how much of the "noise" I was hearing in my car was just that stupid sound tube. The 11-12 GT500 axle backs really live up to what everyone says-quiet and not droning at cruise but nice and mellow and burbly around town in stop and go. I realize I'm preaching to the choir but in case anyone is still on the fence, it's a good buy.
Old 10/19/14, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I traded my 2011 Fg2 K20 SI in for my 14' GT. The SI had a Skunk2 70mm exhaust and was soooo loud i would set off car alarms in parking lots lol! I wanted to have a more tame exhaust this time around and went with the GT500's and replaced the resonators with 3" pipe. I love how the GT500s sound, when cruzing its nice and quiet but at WOT its awesome! I get compliments every where i go.
Old 10/20/14, 06:41 AM
GT Member

Man Skunk2 is terrible. My '12 had a Full Race catted downpipe and 3" exhaust. The drone was terrible and all the while, the folks at Full Race kept jerking me around telling me either the exhaust was rubbing or I had a leak. When I went back to stock for my trade in, I almost changed my mind b/c my car sounded so great bone stock. That's why I have been really hesitant to do ANYTHING my my Mustang. As it was, cold start this morning was still a tad louder than I would like since I leave out of my house no later than 6:30 am. But it wasn't horrible.
Old 10/20/14, 07:41 AM
Banned

Yeh the Skunk2 was horible loud haha! The GT500s are nice though. Id say probably 50% louder than stock. But absolutly no drone at all, i love em! How do you like your GT vs your SI btw?
Old 10/20/14, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Oh man, the first month I had my GT, I thought I was going to die. So much power...And it feels so much heavier than the Si... Every time I got in it, I felt like a little old grandma who couldn't see over the steering wheel. B/c with all the Hondas I had, the front is ranked to the point where you can look straight down onto the dang road. No long hood to look over! But really, the only thing I miss, beside the practicality of 4 doors, is the fact that I could drive like a complete nut and still get like 33 mpg. Well, I also had the factory nav on the Si. I miss that, lol. I went bare bones on this GT b/c I couldn't believe my wife was willing to let me trade off a car that wasn't even 2 yrs old. I just put on some castoff leather seat covers a few weeks ago. That's been great. I haven't had leather on my daily driver since I traded off my last SAAB in 2009.

But regarding this exhaust, it's great. And the install was pretty easy, too. Anyone who thinks it isn't should spend some time fiddling w/ a small car like a Honda. No room for anything!
Old 10/20/14, 04:39 PM
Bullitt Member

heres mine , they do sound great

Old 10/20/14, 05:38 PM
Banned

Thats exactly how i felt when i traded my SI. The front length of the Mustang takes some getting used to lol. I freaked out everytime i parked in my garage for months thinking i would hit the nose on something. The weight is definetly what took the longest for me to get used to. The SI is so fricken light compared to the stang lol. I installed Koni yellow sport's and Steeda sport springs. Now its a whole new car, very well balanced! Now im practicing my drifting and man is that fun! The power of the Stang is something i always have to remind myself to respect becouse it can get away from me pretty quick, PM me if you have any questions in the future bro!
Old 10/20/14, 08:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Burke985

Great representation of the sound and hilarious video! And hi from Yankee country up in Shreveport!
Old 10/20/14, 08:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Astenax
Thats exactly how i felt when i traded my SI. The front length of the Mustang takes some getting used to lol. I freaked out everytime i parked in my garage for months thinking i would hit the nose on something. The weight is definetly what took the longest for me to get used to. The SI is so fricken light compared to the stang lol. I installed Koni yellow sport's and Steeda sport springs. Now its a whole new car, very well balanced! Now im practicing my drifting and man is that fun! The power of the Stang is something i always have to remind myself to respect becouse it can get away from me pretty quick, PM me if you have any questions in the future bro!
Lol yep! I'm nervous to tackle springs. I put the Eibach ProKit on my Si and it took me forever b/c I didn't realize I had the rear springs compressed enough to pull them out. I wasted like, most of a day on that part, lol. Then, my wife's uncle, who is a Firestone dealer and usually takes care of my tires and alignment, refused to let his shop deal w/ my alignment, giving me some excuse that they couldn't handle cars not on factory ride height. Luckily, the alignment stayed pretty spot on...
Old 10/21/14, 02:01 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Burke985
It's a "little bit loud", Mike.... just a little bit.

LOL.

Love the vid. Adorable kid.
Old 10/22/14, 05:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
What is the part number of the Gt 500 AB that you used?

It sounds great.
Old 10/22/14, 06:04 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I have the GT 500 ab's on my GT, and that video doesn't do them justice...they're a bit deeper sounding and have more growl.

I'm pretty sure this is the part#: M5230MGTCA1
Old 10/24/14, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bkrell
Great representation of the sound and hilarious video! And hi from Yankee country up in Shreveport!
Thanks, and back at ya from the swamp..lol

Originally Posted by FromZto5
It's a "little bit loud", Mike.... just a little bit.

LOL.

Love the vid. Adorable kid.
Thanks , hes a handful

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I have the GT 500 ab's on my GT, and that video doesn't do them justice...they're a bit deeper sounding and have more growl.

I'm pretty sure this is the part#: M5230MGTCA1

Vids never do exhaust justice its one of those things you have to hear in person , but this is a pic i snapped off them with the part number:

Name:  20141024_123015_zpsvgcae8u1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  46.6 KB
Old 10/25/14, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Delete your resonators and they will really sound amazing. I was hesitant about installing the set of GT 500 OTA pipes that I bought that had no resonators from the factory on my car because I really liked how the GT 500's by themselves sounded but I have no regrets about installing the OTA pipes. I get compliments all of the time with this setup.

Wayne