Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Just had Procal Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/14, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had Procal Installed!

Had been waffling between Procal and Steeda Tune (and ultimately, AED...) but since my car is basically new and not wanting to have to deal with any warranty-related items that might crop up, went the safe route with the Procal until I get some more miles/years on it.

Local dealer did the install for less than $50 -- place I bought my car from wanted $225! Shop around for sure if you get quoted some awful price.

Initial impressions -- HUGE bottom end improvement -- to echo the advertisement and others impressions. Very abrupt when you goose it in 1st or 2nd, particularly with 3.73s. Was most impressed how when lugging it in a higher gear at 25-45mph...thing just pulls when you lean into it. I wouldn't call it Diesel-like power, but immediately noticeable --- almost like putting a set of gears in a car that didn't have them previously. I had a Bama tune and JLT CAI on my old 07 GT, and the Procal is much more noticeable seat of the pants-wise.

My miles to empty monitor went up from 280 to 357 upon starting car as well. Engine sounds different too, just smoother all the way around, and I think it sounds a bit more authoritative. Hard to gauge top end, but it seems a lot more smooth as it crests to 4,000rpm. Engine braking works, easy to blip throttle and rev match now. Haven't noticed any ping -- thought I heard it for a split second when I tried starting off in 2nd gear pulling away from dealership, but nothing since. Will monitor. Filled up with Shell 93 the other night at a busy station in town.

Looking forward to seeing track benefit. Ran 12.94 @ 109.45 and 13.03 @ 110.74 100% bone stock as delivered with less than 2,500 miles on it. Would like to get it down under 12.70s if possible. Cooler weather here might help, was 80-degrees first time I ran it.

Will probably try a Steeda/AED tune/CAI down the road once I'm sure there's not any underlying issues within the car that might necessitate a warranty visit. But until then, I will say money well spent, and no freakout over the warranty. Plus once I move on, can sell it back to Ford Racing for $75.00.

Not a bad deal for those with a new car and warranty obsessions but have the urge to play with it.
Old 9/16/14, 01:20 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the very informative review. I too am trying to decide between a Ford tune or aftermarket. Dont want to spend the money on a Ford one if there isnt enough gain and dont want any warrenty problems with aftermarket. I only have 600 miles on mine so Im hesitant to go aftermarket until I more confident I dont have a lemmon. What do you mean you can sell it back to ford for $75????

Last edited by Way2QWK; 9/16/14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 9/16/14, 04:02 PM
GT Member

I am duly impressed after just having it for a little bit. If you just got the car, I'd probably just wait until the first oil change (3,000 miles...) to do it. Just my opinion, but always safe to let the car break in "naturally" first, and if there's anything weird that will go wrong, it typically goes wrong early.

Mine has just over 3,000 miles and while I've "shortened" the power train warranty (Ford Racing Warranty replaces the factory warranty if something directly related to the tune causes an issue -- which it wont, 0 issues or claims in almost 5 years), it still is a Ford warranty, and the dealer that I installed it does a lot of them, and seriously doubt the issue of a tune would ever come up if say, a timing chain or cam phaser failed or something weird like that.

When you get the tuner, there is a note stapled to the box that says that once you're done with it, you can sell it back to Ford Racing for $75. I'd keep it until you sell the car, simply to have your original tune, be able to clear codes, and if you do develop the dreaded ping, you would need it to perform the Crank Sensor Re-Learn function which takes 5 minutes and typically cures it. You can also update the tune to set Octane reading to Y so it will retard timing a bit if knock/ping becomes bothersome.

Will see how the numbers bear out this weekend. If it picks up a few tenths and mph, then it's on par with any of the other custom tunes which do not have factory support (save for Steeda who works hand in hand with Ford and has zero issues as well). Have not heard of anyone running into dealer issues with either a FRPP or Steeda tune.

I think most of the #8 issues were from three years ago -- my big concern was something else within the drivetrain having issues, and then an aftermarket tune being held accountable. Either way, I'm good to go with this thing as is. For now...
Old 9/24/14, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't get used to this part

"My miles to empty monitor went up from 280 to 357 upon starting car as well"

Mine did that too. Now its 287...I average 18.9 Mpg in last year with Procal tune. Mix of highway and town. I love the tune though.