Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Ford Racing suspension kit - review

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/12, 05:14 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Racing suspension kit - review

Hi all,

Since I took many months searching TMS, asking questions, etc, about what my 2012 GT would be like with a Ford Racing Suspension Pack, I wanted to post my thoughts. It's now installed !

I ordered the Ford Racing Adjustable Suspension Kit from FordRacingPartsDirect.com. Part No. M-FR3A-MGTAA. I also ordered the GT500 rear LCA's, just for fun.

My dealer installed everything without a hitch.

Bottom Line : It's an amazing change to the car, with very little sacrifice (or no sacrifice, depending upon your taste). The car drives, accelerates and corners a 100X better, with much more control. The pitching (nose-up, dive) is virtually gone. The exterior appearance is just right. No issues with ground clearance or speed bumps, so far, but I am careful.

Parked in the same spot before and after, the front is dropped 3/4" and the rear is dropped 7/8". The car still has some rake.

I haven't pushed anywhere near the limits, but can tell that my oem PNeros are the next change that is needed.

Launches are just a hoot, even without excessive thottle. The car remains almost flat through the gears (no nose up to the sky !), so on ramps are way more predictable.

Cornering is a blast.

The shocks and struts are set at 5 turns from hard - the recommended initial setting. At this setting, the ride is only slightly more firm than stock, and better than a stock Brembo car (IMHO - as I test drove many before ordering my car, which is a non-Brembo). My car has the oem 19" premium nickel wheels with PNeros 245/45 F&R. The ride is not jarring, but more of the road irregularities come into the car, but are better dampened. So overall, I'd say the ride is improved. And, given that it can be set softer, I am sure that anyone's ride preference can be dialed in.

No additional noise from the suspension kit. However, the LCA's do give a bit of bearing whine with the windows closed. Not bad at all, but noticeable. There is a slight squishing sound (I think that's what it is) that I can hear sometimes, usually when cornering. The dampeners and/or bushings I suspect.

The kit comes with an adjustable panhard bar, and no strut tower brace. Perfect for me as my car came with the GT brace (comes with the 19" wheel package). I wanted the adjustable panhard bar to center the rear axle - as the uneven fender overhang bugged me. It's perfect now.

All in all, I am very satisfied. Truth is, the car is actually easier to drive because it is much more manageable and predictable.

As for new wheels and tires, I am thinking of going "down" to 18" diameter, with 245/50 F and 275/45 R. PZeros or maybe Toyo Proxies. I really like my 19" premium wheels, but they really need better offset to match up with the fenders now. Anyone have any feedback for me on this ?

Thanks everyone, for a great source of information !

Best,
TS
Old 10/20/12, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good review...add it to my list!!
Old 10/20/12, 08:04 PM
GT Member

What was the cost?
Old 10/21/12, 10:08 AM
GT Member

Cost :

The suspension kit was $1895, free shipping. The LCA's were $150, free shipping. I also purchased a set of black caliper covers from American Muscle (which, I now think are kinda dorky..)...they were $200. The dealer installed everything, gave me an oil change and multipoint inspection, tire rotatation, and boxed up all of my oem parts nicely for a bit under $800.00. I am happy with that.

Pic after the install. See how nice the wheels look...I'm really on the fence about changing them, but want wider rubber.
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing suspension kit - review-dscn0037.jpg  
Old 10/23/12, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the stance, it looks good.

I called a local shop and they wanted $600 to install a Roush suspension. I've haven't called around to check the "going rate", but to get the oil change, calipers, and control arms installed in addition to the suspension isn't bad.

How easy is it to adjust?
Old 10/23/12, 10:35 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tetstang
Cost :

The suspension kit was $1895, free shipping. The LCA's were $150, free shipping. I also purchased a set of black caliper covers from American Muscle (which, I now think are kinda dorky..)...they were $200. The dealer installed everything, gave me an oil change and multipoint inspection, tire rotatation, and boxed up all of my oem parts nicely for a bit under $800.00. I am happy with that.

Pic after the install. See how nice the wheels look...I'm really on the fence about changing them, but want wider rubber.
See how nice the wheels look ? Your whole car looks flat out fantastic.

Very impressive Tetstang.--------Bill
Old 10/24/12, 11:51 PM
GT Member

Hey, thanks for the great replies ! As for adjusting, I haven't tried yet.... like it where it is for now. But, curiosity is growing, so I will get to adjusting pretty soon. It should be easy. Worst part of it is that the top of the rear shocks are hidden beneath the trunk liner. I'm going to cut out a nice little flap over each shock, and put a velcro strap on the flap.

As for wheels, I won't be changing them until I find just the right look and fit. I'm a stickler for fit (offset), and I also really want my mustang pony center caps. That narrows the choices way, way down. The attached pic is the wheel that has the best fit - 19x9F 19x10R. The color is great, my center caps fit, but I'm not crazy about the look. I know alot of people like 'em...

I've teased the idea of getting oem Boss 302 wheels, the 10-spoke gloss black rally style. Mucho $$$. Or, maybe the Ford Racing Boss 302S wheels - similar to the Laguna Seca's but with gloss black windows.

Again, the car is just so much fun to drive with this suspension. It's addicting.

TS
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing suspension kit - review-p6010051.jpg  
Old 11/3/12, 11:02 PM
GT Member

Update - I adjusted the dampeners today for the first time. I decided to try 1/2 turn more to soft. That made a noticeable change. So, now at 5 1/2 turns from full hard, there is still a ways to go to full soft. The ride is very similar to original stock, except the body roll and pitch are nearly gone, and the dampening is better. Very impressed.

I liked the feel at 5 turns from hard, very sport feeling. I'll have to try some firmer settings, but I expect I'll land back around 5.

Adjusting is very easy with the tool supplied.

Last edited by tetstang; 11/3/12 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11/5/12, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Adjusted back one turn to harder, now at 4 1/2 turns off full hard. Corners way better and still a nice ride. I'll save the softer settings for drives with the wife...

All four corners are set the same, so I haven't played with different settings F&R.

Tons of fun. . .
Old 11/5/12, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tetstang
That looks amazing!