Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

AIR RAID - RAIN STALL ROUGH IDLE

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/13, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down AIR RAID - RAIN STALL ROUGH IDLE

Hey everyone, not sure if this has been talked about before. However last night in AZ we had pretty bad storm, and while driving my car initially from our garage everything was fine.

Figured id take the wife out and other fam members. Well after sitting for a few hours at a local sushi place, decided to call it a night and go home, only to be greeted by a wrench key icon on my dash and continuos stalls and rough driving.

I mean it was so bad to a point where i stalled on the freeway... I thought the car was deff damaged.

Very frustrated owner....

Anyone else experience this with AIR RAID Intake and a flood of water/car wash or heavy rain shower?
Old 7/21/13, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think with the cold air intake on a 13 or 14 there is some type of insert or shield to install under the hood vent. Supposed to prevent water entry during rain. Would assume that is your problem...
Old 7/21/13, 06:48 PM
Cobra Member

Your filter got soaked and airflow was disturbed. I don't have a GT but seens to me like that would cause the stalling and rough idle. I have seen GT owners with inserts for when it rains. I figured the airaid for GTs came with it.

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 7/21/13 at 06:49 PM.
Old 7/21/13, 08:40 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And how do you know the problem is the CAI taking on water?
Old 7/21/13, 08:55 PM
GT Member

Did your mass air flow sensor pop loose? I have a airaid on my 14 and drove from Missouri to wv in rain never one problem or even after my car sits in rain all day still no issues...
Old 7/21/13, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with a few hear about the rain shield. Airraid should have sent you a metal cover for your filter so you wouldnt get water in it.

Matthew
Old 7/22/13, 05:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other than the sound you get from a CAI, why did you install one on your ride? The stock box flows as good as a CAI in 99% of the ones out there. Unless the intake tube is larger than stock, AND you're running with a tune, you now see the downfall of running with a CAI and a vented hood.

Last edited by Bucko; 7/22/13 at 12:45 PM.
Old 7/22/13, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Air Raid on my car and have driven in very heavy rain on the highway, never had a problem. Something must be wrong with installation somewhere. The one I have doesn't have the shield by the way.
Old 7/23/13, 10:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have Airaid CAI installed in mine... have no issue going in rain.. but yes when i do car wash with pressure over hood and when i leave my pony for hours in rain.. i did get the same wrench key icon... now whenever i m this situation i keep it idle with 1500 rpm for awhile till i can feel the engine rev proper.. then it is all normal.. not a solution.. but ever since i been doing this.. have not seen any issue... i m planing to install rain shields as a permanent fix though.
Old 7/23/13, 11:02 AM
GTR Member

Still have yet to hear from the OP as to the evidence that it was actually the water getting into the inlet causing the issue.

If it is, then another solution would be one of the pre-filter socks that fits over the filter. These have the added benefit of keeping the main filter cleaner longer as well as water resistance.
Old 7/23/13, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...water-fix.html

dont know if this a fix
Old 7/23/13, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey everyone, thank you for all the prompt responses. After dealing with this issue first hand I am very please how AIR AID industries handled the issue.

Ben from AIR AID addressed my concerns, definitely was familiar with the behavior, and according to their great customer service i will have my AIR COVER ( piece they made for this issue ) free of charge and next day delivery.

They also suggested that I drill a little hole on the bottom of the housing to let the water drip.

As of the issue, yes the filter got soaked from heavy rain trough the left heat extractors, causing the engine to pick up water and not run right until it dried out that night.

No further issues with the car, its running great!
Old 7/23/13, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shiazv@gmail.com
I have Airaid CAI installed in mine... have no issue going in rain.. but yes when i do car wash with pressure over hood and when i leave my pony for hours in rain.. i did get the same wrench key icon... now whenever i m this situation i keep it idle with 1500 rpm for awhile till i can feel the engine rev proper.. then it is all normal.. not a solution.. but ever since i been doing this.. have not seen any issue... i m planing to install rain shields as a permanent fix though.
Yes I agree all the way, thats exactly what i had to do fix this issue. Let the car run for a while, dont force gas or anything. Once it has been running for a few minutes its back to normal.

P.S The rain here was like someone pouring buckets of high pressure water on my car these few days ( MONSOON SEASON )

Old 7/23/13, 01:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

^ could you send me contact info for Ben so that i can also get this resolved
Old 7/23/13, 05:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone hydro lock a new 5.0 yet ?
Old 7/23/13, 07:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
What's a hydro lock
Old 7/23/13, 08:07 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by shiazv@gmail.com
What's a hydro lock
That's when the cylinder gets filled with liquid and causes the motor to not be able to turn.
Old 7/23/13, 09:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines

That's kinda hard to do with 2 exhaust valves.
Old 7/23/13, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I had this happen to me too..I got some plugs from JLT for the heat extractors. Haven't tried them yet but we will see.
Old 7/24/13, 04:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GBStang13

Ben from AIR AID addressed my concerns, definitely was familiar with the behavior, and according to their great customer service i will have my AIR COVER ( piece they made for this issue ) free of charge and next day delivery.

They also suggested that I drill a little hole on the bottom of the housing to let the water drip.
Can you please keep us updated with the air cover they sent you? I'm curious if they designed a specific cover for a fix, or are they just sending you a filter cover wrap that are water resistant but not 100% water proof. I have airaid CAI and the JLT hood insert but its still not a perfect system as water do tend to get splashed around the filter housing.

Quick Reply: AIR RAID - RAIN STALL ROUGH IDLE