Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Ecclestone to propose V10 comeback for F1

Old 12/12/14, 06:21 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Ecclestone to propose V10 comeback for F1

Bring it on, but I will believe it when I see/hear it! Bernie's last idea before he kicks the bucket?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...omeback-for-f1

Meeting with a select group of reporters on Thursday including Forbes' business journalist Christian Sylt, the F1 chief executive revealed that he intends to propose the sport brings back loud "normally-aspirated" engines for 2016.

He said he will table the matter at the December 18 meeting of the powerful Strategy Group.

Asked if he is contemplating V8s or V10s, and referring to the teams and manufacturers, 84-year-old Ecclestone answered: "It's up to them."

Ecclestone said to counter the argument that abandoning the quieter energy-recovery-boosted turbos would be a backwards step, the 2016 engines would be branded as 'Hybrid' and have KERS systems aboard.

And he played down suggestions carmakers like Honda and Mercedes will walk away by insisting it would actually be "a bit of a dream for them to build a normally-aspirated engine and develop it to about 1000 horse power".
Old 12/14/14, 12:59 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I think it's a bad move. The current engines aren't quiet because of what they are, but because of the fuel usage limits. They're only seeing ~60% of their rpm capacities, therefore, no noise. This is the way of the future engine wise, why go backwards? Mercedes have already stated they'd leave if the turbo engines were axed.
Old 12/14/14, 01:40 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
I think it's a bad move. The current engines aren't quiet because of what they are, but because of the fuel usage limits. They're only seeing ~60% of their rpm capacities, therefore, no noise. This is the way of the future engine wise, why go backwards? Mercedes have already stated they'd leave if the turbo engines were axed.
While they are limited in rpm, the buzz comes from the added complexity of the turbo system. I don't see how spinning the engines higher is going to take that buzzing away.

While turbo's are hailed as way to get more power out of smaller cubes, they have not proven to provide much (if any) improvement in fuel efficiency for the street (EB).

The sounds of racing are a key part of the experience. So I'm all for restoring that experience while making additional leaps in "energy recovery" technology in combination.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/14/14 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12/14/14, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
While they are limited in rpm, the buzz comes from the added complexity of the turbo system. I don't see how spinning the engines higher is going to take that buzzing away. While turbo's are hailed as way to get more power out of smaller cubes, they have not proven to provide much (if any) improvement in fuel efficiency for the street (EB). The sounds of racing are a key part of the experience. So I'm all for restoring that experience while making additional leaps in "energy recovery" technology in combination.
Actually the problem is that the turbo engines ARE more efficient...in RACE cars lol. Not street cars. When cars are putt putting around for 99% of the time, a higher torque/steeper geared large displacement engine will be better at moving around than a 1.6T 4 cylinder that's not hitting boost.
Old 12/14/14, 02:20 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by laserred38
Actually the problem is that the turbo engines ARE more efficient...in RACE cars lol. Not street cars. When cars are putt putting around for 99% of the time, a higher torque/steeper geared large displacement engine will be better at moving around than a 1.6T 4 cylinder that's not hitting boost.
While they may be more efficient in getting more power out of smaller cubes, that only happens under boost right? Whether a blower or a turbo, that boost is burning more fuel than NA... right?
Hence F1 having to limit rpm's to stay under fuel constraints... hence the F150 EB guys complaining no better mileage than the 5.0...
So "more efficient" in power is not the same as more fuel efficient.
Isn't that right?

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/14/14 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12/14/14, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
While they may be more efficient in getting more power out of smaller cubes, that only happens under boost right? Whether a blower or a turbo, that boost is burning more fuel than NA... right? Hence F1 having to limit rpm's to stay under fuel constraints... hence the F150 EB guys complaining no better mileage than the 5.0... So "more efficient" in power is not that same as more fuel efficient. Isn't that right?
Exactly right
Old 12/14/14, 03:10 PM
NTTAWWT

Proof that they can sound great!

Old 12/18/14, 10:22 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
One of my favorites! Although, I'm actually a bit more found of the Turbo 4 from BMW . .

Gerhard Berger on a quick lap with his Benetton B186 at Adelaide Street Circuit in 1986.

Since it was the last race before taking effect of the boost pressure limitation it is probably the most powerful F1 car ever.

The engine is a 1.5l inline 4 single turbo with up to 5.5bar (80psi) of boost pressure and reving to 11500rpm with an estimated power of 1350HP.

There is no accurate information about the power because the BMW dyno was not able to messure the engine on full boost.
Old 12/21/14, 05:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Had not see either of those videos before - very cool. Loved Lewis Hamilton's feedback on Senna's car... makes me want to go watch "Senna" again on Netflix....

F1 needs to do something. The ingenuity seen in the 80's and 90's is largely gone with the extremely strict regulations. And the turbo V6's used this past season do sound horrible in comparison with just about every other F1 car ever made.
Old 12/21/14, 08:48 PM
NTTAWWT

They're talking about upping the HP for next year. In all honesty, all they really need to do is up the fuel flow restriction. When that gets upped, the rpm's will go up, then the noise will return.
Old 12/21/14, 09:54 PM
Post *****

They're talking about upping the HP for next year. In all honesty, all they really need to do is up the fuel flow restriction. When that gets upped, the rpm's will go up, then the noise will return.
I still disagree. You don't have a free flowing turbo like previous years. Its always going to sound muffed with this required configuration.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2014/0/1176.html

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/21/14 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12/28/14, 09:37 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Bernie's last idea before he kicks the bucket?

Bernie is to **** super villian to ever die!