Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Steering makes noise

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/11, 03:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering makes noise

My 2012 Shelby GT500 is six weeks old, and noise seems to have developed in the steering system. It seems to be louder as the car is driven more or warmed up. The sound kind of reminds me of a slipping power steering belt, but of course the system is electric.
In neutral, forward, or reverse, with or without the clutch engaged, the steering will make almost a wavering kind of squealing sound the more the steering wheel is turned. I'm sure the exhaust drowns it out a bit, because it's most notable when driving slow. On center it seems to make no sound.

Another issue is both front seats seem to have something hard that pokes from the side of the seat into the material towards the top of the backseat. It would seem this would probably wear through the leather/vinyl. These metal rods (whatever they are) can be pushed in but the slowly push back out. I will have to provide pictures of this one.

I love the car. It's looks are menacing. Every walk of life gives me approval, whereas in my BMW convertible, you get ignored. This is not why I bought the car. But every Shelby driver can attest that if attention bothers you, do not buy this car. Maybe the attention you get is because the Shelby/Mustang is seen as more attainable versus a BMW convertible, or people take pride in American performance, but it's all good. I bought mine black with stripe delete to keep a low profile. You can run but you can't hide.

I'll contact my dealer. Just curious if anyone has any idea what these two problems could be caused by.
Old 8/16/11, 08:55 PM
GT Member

I've heard my power steering make the whining noise when driving slow (turning into parking spots)...even had a passenger ask what it was about... I figured It was normal and just live with a little noise. I learned a trick with my noisy dodge...just turn up the radio, haha...not the solution but I seem to use it. Let us know if you have it checked out!
Old 8/18/11, 09:43 PM
V6 Member

I have a 2010 but get the same type of noise as u described. It never affeced the capabilities of the car to turn so i just deal with it. I took it to a dealership and they didnt say anything about it. I could hear the noise when they drove the car away and again when they returned it, yet they didnt make any effort to ask me anything about it nor did they seem concerned. I figured it was normal. please let us know if u find anything out.
Old 8/24/11, 07:54 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi guys,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. Please bring your vehicles in to your local Ford dealership for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your contact info, mileage, dealer, and VIN so I can escalate your concerns for you. I’d like to see this get resolved.

Deysha
Old 9/20/11, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by windsor202
My 2012 Shelby GT500 is six weeks old, and noise seems to have developed in the steering system. It seems to be louder as the car is driven more or warmed up. The sound kind of reminds me of a slipping power steering belt, but of course the system is electric.
In neutral, forward, or reverse, with or without the clutch engaged, the steering will make almost a wavering kind of squealing sound the more the steering wheel is turned. I'm sure the exhaust drowns it out a bit, because it's most notable when driving slow. On center it seems to make no sound.

Another issue is both front seats seem to have something hard that pokes from the side of the seat into the material towards the top of the backseat. It would seem this would probably wear through the leather/vinyl. These metal rods (whatever they are) can be pushed in but the slowly push back out. I will have to provide pictures of this one.

I love the car. It's looks are menacing. Every walk of life gives me approval, whereas in my BMW convertible, you get ignored. This is not why I bought the car. But every Shelby driver can attest that if attention bothers you, do not buy this car. Maybe the attention you get is because the Shelby/Mustang is seen as more attainable versus a BMW convertible, or people take pride in American performance, but it's all good. I bought mine black with stripe delete to keep a low profile. You can run but you can't hide.

I'll contact my dealer. Just curious if anyone has any idea what these two problems could be caused by.
Hey I've got da same problem with my seats. The driver side is worse on mine. It seems that it may be the side airbag module. When i push it back in it feels as if its a long & narrow plastic unit that may house the airbag. Definitely looks as if it may eventually poke a hole through the leather. Mine already has a wear mark...
Old 9/20/11, 08:21 PM

A couple of weeks ago my 2012 started making a strange noise when turning at slower speeds and I thought it was the steering. But when the car was sitting in the driveway I could turn the wheel hard left or right and there was no noise. I turned the AC and radio off, rolled down the windows, and made some slow speed 90 degree turns. The noise was actually coming from the rear end. It's the carbon fiber discs in the clutch pack and it only makes the noise on slow turns (parking lots). It hasn't done it since I drove the car 8 sessions on a 3.1 mile road course last weekend. If it starts again I'll add the friction modifier I bought from Ford.
Old 9/21/11, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by RaceRed500
Hey I've got da same problem with my seats. The driver side is worse on mine.
Originally Posted by Double500
A couple of weeks ago my 2012 started making a strange noise when turning at slower speeds and I thought it was the steering. The noise was actually coming from the rear end.
Hi RaceRed500 and Double500,

I’d like to get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager in your area to help get it resolved. I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then private message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 9/21/11, 08:47 AM

Thanks Deysha,

I've been told this noise is normal. There is even a TSB that addresses it. Some cars get it and some don't. All Ford will do is add friction modifier. If it starts making the noise at higher speeds, in sweeping turns, or on the straights then they'll tear in to the rear end. Seriously, it hasn't made any noise since I got it back from the track. Guess rattlesnake and the hairpin, where I have to get on the brakes hard and downshift to second, forced lubricant into the discs. We'll see how long it lasts.
Old 9/22/11, 09:53 AM

Thanks Deysha,

I've been told this noise is normal. There is even a TSB that addresses it. Some cars get it and some don't. All Ford will do is add friction modifier.
No problem, just keep me posted. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
Old 9/26/11, 06:01 AM
GT Member

A couple of weeks ago my 2012 started making a strange noise when turning at slower speeds and I thought it was the steering. But when the car was sitting in the driveway I could turn the wheel hard left or right and there was no noise. I turned the AC and radio off, rolled down the windows, and made some slow speed 90 degree turns. The noise was actually coming from the rear end. It's the carbon fiber discs in the clutch pack and it only makes the noise on slow turns (parking lots). It hasn't done it since I drove the car 8 sessions on a 3.1 mile road course last weekend. If it starts again I'll add the friction modifier I bought from Ford.
My 2012 is doing the same thing, I thought it was the front as well, but after doing a bit of research, I'm pretty sure it is the rear end. (There is a TSB) I'm going to the dealer next week to see if I can get them to add the friction modifier. I may just do it myself, unless I don't have to leave the car for very long. Can't imagine it would take them very long to do it.
Old 9/26/11, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Minicobra
My 2012 is doing the same thing
Hi Minicobra,

I’d like to escalate this for you as well. Please private message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can forward it to the Customer Service Manger assigned to your area.

Deysha