Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2010-2014 Mustang > '10-14 Special Editions and Aftermarket Mustangs > '10-14 Shelby Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 8/16/11, 3:07 PM   #1
GT Member
 
windsor202's Avatar
 
Peter

Join Date: January 2, 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 107
2012 Shelby GT500
Steering makes noise

My 2012 Shelby GT500 is six weeks old, and noise seems to have developed in the steering system. It seems to be louder as the car is driven more or warmed up. The sound kind of reminds me of a slipping power steering belt, but of course the system is electric.
In neutral, forward, or reverse, with or without the clutch engaged, the steering will make almost a wavering kind of squealing sound the more the steering wheel is turned. I'm sure the exhaust drowns it out a bit, because it's most notable when driving slow. On center it seems to make no sound.

Another issue is both front seats seem to have something hard that pokes from the side of the seat into the material towards the top of the backseat. It would seem this would probably wear through the leather/vinyl. These metal rods (whatever they are) can be pushed in but the slowly push back out. I will have to provide pictures of this one.

I love the car. It's looks are menacing. Every walk of life gives me approval, whereas in my BMW convertible, you get ignored. This is not why I bought the car. But every Shelby driver can attest that if attention bothers you, do not buy this car. Maybe the attention you get is because the Shelby/Mustang is seen as more attainable versus a BMW convertible, or people take pride in American performance, but it's all good. I bought mine black with stripe delete to keep a low profile. You can run but you can't hide.

I'll contact my dealer. Just curious if anyone has any idea what these two problems could be caused by.
windsor202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/16/11, 8:55 PM   #2
GT Member
 
944withnos's Avatar
 
Reuben

Join Date: December 3, 2010
Location: STL, Missouri
Posts: 147
2011 Mustang
Garage
I've heard my power steering make the whining noise when driving slow (turning into parking spots)...even had a passenger ask what it was about... I figured It was normal and just live with a little noise. I learned a trick with my noisy dodge...just turn up the radio, haha...not the solution but I seem to use it. Let us know if you have it checked out!
944withnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/18/11, 9:43 PM   #3
V6 Member
 
2012 Black 5.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: February 13, 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 74
2012 Mustang Gt
I have a 2010 but get the same type of noise as u described. It never affeced the capabilities of the car to turn so i just deal with it. I took it to a dealership and they didnt say anything about it. I could hear the noise when they drove the car away and again when they returned it, yet they didnt make any effort to ask me anything about it nor did they seem concerned. I figured it was normal. please let us know if u find anything out.
2012 Black 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/24/11, 7:54 AM   #4
Ford Customer Service Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Deysha

Join Date: October 25, 2010
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 4,377
Hi guys,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. Please bring your vehicles in to your local Ford dealership for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your contact info, mileage, dealer, and VIN so I can escalate your concerns for you. Id like to see this get resolved.

Deysha
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/20/11, 12:49 PM   #5
Member
 
RaceRed500's Avatar
 

Join Date: March 14, 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 19
2011 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor202
My 2012 Shelby GT500 is six weeks old, and noise seems to have developed in the steering system. It seems to be louder as the car is driven more or warmed up. The sound kind of reminds me of a slipping power steering belt, but of course the system is electric.
In neutral, forward, or reverse, with or without the clutch engaged, the steering will make almost a wavering kind of squealing sound the more the steering wheel is turned. I'm sure the exhaust drowns it out a bit, because it's most notable when driving slow. On center it seems to make no sound.

Another issue is both front seats seem to have something hard that pokes from the side of the seat into the material towards the top of the backseat. It would seem this would probably wear through the leather/vinyl. These metal rods (whatever they are) can be pushed in but the slowly push back out. I will have to provide pictures of this one.

I love the car. It's looks are menacing. Every walk of life gives me approval, whereas in my BMW convertible, you get ignored. This is not why I bought the car. But every Shelby driver can attest that if attention bothers you, do not buy this car. Maybe the attention you get is because the Shelby/Mustang is seen as more attainable versus a BMW convertible, or people take pride in American performance, but it's all good. I bought mine black with stripe delete to keep a low profile. You can run but you can't hide.

I'll contact my dealer. Just curious if anyone has any idea what these two problems could be caused by.
Hey I've got da same problem with my seats. The driver side is worse on mine. It seems that it may be the side airbag module. When i push it back in it feels as if its a long & narrow plastic unit that may house the airbag. Definitely looks as if it may eventually poke a hole through the leather. Mine already has a wear mark...
__________________
2011 GT500
Race Red w/ White Stripes
Electronics Package & Glass Roof

Mods: Ford Racing Resonator Eliminator/ Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace/ JLT Oil Separator

Built on 5/3/10
759 of 4150 GT500 Coupes
180 of 869 Race Red Coupes
1 of 126 Race Red with Glass Roof
RaceRed500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/20/11, 8:21 PM   #6
Member
 
Double500's Avatar
 

Join Date: June 24, 2011
Posts: 31
2012 GT 500, 2007 Corvette Convertible
A couple of weeks ago my 2012 started making a strange noise when turning at slower speeds and I thought it was the steering. But when the car was sitting in the driveway I could turn the wheel hard left or right and there was no noise. I turned the AC and radio off, rolled down the windows, and made some slow speed 90 degree turns. The noise was actually coming from the rear end. It's the carbon fiber discs in the clutch pack and it only makes the noise on slow turns (parking lots). It hasn't done it since I drove the car 8 sessions on a 3.1 mile road course last weekend. If it starts again I'll add the friction modifier I bought from Ford.
__________________
2012 Shelby GT500, FR Boss 302S wheels,tower brace, tow hook and Recaros, Corbeau Harness Bar & Belts, C&R Racing Rad/HE Upgrade from Revan Racing, Hawk Performance Brake Pads. Other toys are a 2007 Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car and a 2000 Corvette Coupe.
Double500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/21/11, 7:12 AM   #7
Ford Customer Service Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Deysha

Join Date: October 25, 2010
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 4,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed500 View Post
Hey I've got da same problem with my seats. The driver side is worse on mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double500 View Post
A couple of weeks ago my 2012 started making a strange noise when turning at slower speeds and I thought it was the steering. The noise was actually coming from the rear end.
Hi RaceRed500 and Double500,

Id like to get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager in your area to help get it resolved. I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then private message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/21/11, 8:47 AM   #8
Member
 
Double500's Avatar
 

Join Date: June 24, 2011
Posts: 31
2012 GT 500, 2007 Corvette Convertible
Thanks Deysha,

I've been told this noise is normal. There is even a TSB that addresses it. Some cars get it and some don't. All Ford will do is add friction modifier. If it starts making the noise at higher speeds, in sweeping turns, or on the straights then they'll tear in to the rear end. Seriously, it hasn't made any noise since I got it back from the track. Guess rattlesnake and the hairpin, where I have to get on the brakes hard and downshift to second, forced lubricant into the discs. We'll see how long it lasts.
__________________
2012 Shelby GT500, FR Boss 302S wheels,tower brace, tow hook and Recaros, Corbeau Harness Bar & Belts, C&R Racing Rad/HE Upgrade from Revan Racing, Hawk Performance Brake Pads. Other toys are a 2007 Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car and a 2000 Corvette Coupe.
Double500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/22/11, 9:53 AM   #9
Ford Customer Service Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Deysha

Join Date: October 25, 2010
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 4,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double500 View Post
Thanks Deysha,

I've been told this noise is normal. There is even a TSB that addresses it. Some cars get it and some don't. All Ford will do is add friction modifier.
No problem, just keep me posted. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/26/11, 6:01 AM   #10
GT Member
 
Minicobra's Avatar
 
Braden

Join Date: August 3, 2010
Location: Orange County, CA.
Posts: 114
2012 GT500 SVTPP, 2011 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double500 View Post
A couple of weeks ago my 2012 started making a strange noise when turning at slower speeds and I thought it was the steering. But when the car was sitting in the driveway I could turn the wheel hard left or right and there was no noise. I turned the AC and radio off, rolled down the windows, and made some slow speed 90 degree turns. The noise was actually coming from the rear end. It's the carbon fiber discs in the clutch pack and it only makes the noise on slow turns (parking lots). It hasn't done it since I drove the car 8 sessions on a 3.1 mile road course last weekend. If it starts again I'll add the friction modifier I bought from Ford.
My 2012 is doing the same thing, I thought it was the front as well, but after doing a bit of research, I'm pretty sure it is the rear end. (There is a TSB) I'm going to the dealer next week to see if I can get them to add the friction modifier. I may just do it myself, unless I don't have to leave the car for very long. Can't imagine it would take them very long to do it.
__________________
2012 SVTPP GT500 - & 2011 WRX - Past: 69 Mach1, 70 Boss 302, 91 5.0, 03 SVT, 07 Mini JCW, 09 370Z.
Minicobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/26/11, 9:51 AM   #11
Ford Customer Service Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Deysha

Join Date: October 25, 2010
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 4,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicobra View Post
My 2012 is doing the same thing
Hi Minicobra,

Id like to escalate this for you as well. Please private message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can forward it to the Customer Service Manger assigned to your area.

Deysha
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/26/11, 9:51 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

Sponsors



 

MotM Winners
December 2012 MotM Winner November 2012 MotM Winner September 2012 MotM Winner August 2012 MotM Winner

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:41 PM.


Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.