Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Time for a big service

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/11, 02:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Time for a big service

The 85,000 mile service isn't usually a big stop. It isn't according to the Ford recommended service, but it will be a bigger one for me. I'm not complaining. She's a daily driver and I don't worry about good fuel mileage when I drive.

I'm just posting so other folks may see "what's up". We'll see over time if any longer term maintenance patterns show up.

E-brake - Adjustment and I'm getting the repair done specified by the TSB for freezing in cold wet weather. Not under warranty now, of course. $150.

Induction - Cleaning the throttle body. I'm purchasing their time instead of using mine. $120. She's been doing some of the throttle surging that is a symptom of this issue for a while now.

Tuneup - about 15k miles early, but she feels to me like she needs it. She still has plenty of twist in the throttle, but she just runs and feels, well, different. $320.

Air filter. $34.

Serpentine belt. $130.

Leaking rear pinion seal. $250.

Leaking transmission output shaft seal and rod bushing. $295.

It's been several years since car payments. Time to make a few of them. I know many of you can and would do many of these items yourself. My hat is off to you. If it were my '69, I would tackle it too. But not today. I don't have all the tools, the knowledge or the time.

Man, getting my 1600th post is costing me!

Last edited by Paris MkVI; 6/1/11 at 02:38 PM.
Old 6/1/11, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instead of paying them to clean the induction just seafoam it. 7 bucks and 10 minutes of your time. I wish you lived near me. I would love to do a paid tune up for ya
Old 6/1/11, 05:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Everett
Instead of paying them to clean the induction just seafoam it. 7 bucks and 10 minutes of your time. I wish you lived near me. I would love to do a paid tune up for ya
Seafoam really helped clean out my cars engine and fuel systems. Plus that smoke effect is badass!
And where you at Everett?
Old 6/1/11, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
congrats on 85k and also on the 1600...... now go do some burn outs.
Old 6/1/11, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Leo93
Seafoam really helped clean out my cars engine and fuel systems. Plus that smoke effect is badass!
And where you at Everett?
Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada. And a big plus 1 on the burn out idea
Old 6/1/11, 08:09 PM
GT Member

Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada. And a big plus 1 on the burn out idea
Dang that's just a lil far or else I would take my car to you for the service. I'm waaaaay down here in corpus Christi Texas
And the smoke is sick, specially when you rev it up a bit it looks like you just did a sick 5min burnout! In fact I'm gnna do a burnout next time I seafoam the car
Old 6/3/11, 08:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm getting her back in about an hour. It's been a few days because I also wanted them to take a look at the top. I had it replaced under the TSB and it has never quite fit right on the drivers side.

But I will see how she is doing soon!
Old 6/3/11, 02:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What a difference! I cannot recall sensing such a change in a car after a service. Everything is better. Power, shifting, smoothness, handling - it's as though every bolt had been loosened over time and they tightened everything up.

I am going to have to get them to adjust the e-brake again. It's still way too much of a yank on it to get it to grab.

Other than that, a huge improvement. She was clearly due for some TLC.
Old 6/3/11, 07:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
What a difference! I cannot recall sensing such a change in a car after a service. Everything is better. Power, shifting, smoothness, handling - it's as though every bolt had been loosened over time and they tightened everything up.

I am going to have to get them to adjust the e-brake again. It's still way too much of a yank on it to get it to grab.

Other than that, a huge improvement. She was clearly due for some TLC.
Nice glad to hear ur baby's back with a force! Flushing out the system and checking out all the systems really does help. Gets all the old gunk outta there. You can probably jus tighten the cable for your e-brake though. You try that already??
Old 6/4/11, 07:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I know where the adjustment is, but I do not have the tool to get to it.
Old 6/6/11, 10:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm a big believer in Seafoam. I've used it for at least the past 4 years in my '05GT and day one in my wife's '10 Explorer 4.0. 1/2 a can sucked into the intake, 1/2 a can in the gas tank.
Old 6/7/11, 12:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MTAS

I'm a big believer in Seafoam. I've used it for at least the past 4 years in my '05GT and day one in my wife's '10 Explorer 4.0. 1/2 a can sucked into the intake, 1/2 a can in the gas tank.
This may be a lil much but I use seafoam every 3-5k miles depending on my much I'm driving her. Everytime I use it my car feels so much smoother and my mpg's seem to go up since everything is clean
Old 6/7/11, 01:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Leo93

This may be a lil much but I use seafoam every 3-5k miles depending on my much I'm driving her. Everytime I use it my car feels so much smoother and my mpg's seem to go up since everything is clean
Yup. In an industry of snake oil seafoam actually works. There was a thread I saw today about seafoam and some guy told the poster not to put anything but oil in the crankcase. Please. This stuff works great. I do a treatment every 3rd oil change. After I did the very first one I really noticed a difference. Now not so much. And the first time the neighbours called the fire department. Now the carbon out the tailpipe is significantly less. It did something for sure. I believe.