Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

tapping sound from engine - sister's GT

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/04, 06:16 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brother and I were talking today about my sister-in-law's Redfire GT - and my brother noticed this sound over the past few days (started to notice after they passed 200 miles) - it didn't make it after they first picked it up:

On the driver's side under the valve cover is this 'tapping' type noise, that he says on an older car he would describe as a 'lifter tap' - gets more prominant as car gets warmer. And definitely on the driver's side specifically. It is loud enough to hear from INSIDE the car with the radio off - He knows it is not the pulse noises from the fuel injectors.

Anyone have any specific run-ins with this type of thing on the new GT?....

Any input is most appreciated - thanks!!!!
Old 12/4/04, 06:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were there any miles on the car when she took delivery......and how has she driven the 200 miles? I'm not accelerating hard from a dead stop, and certainly not at all when the motor is cold until I have well over 500 miles on it. I don't have an knocking sounds that I could tell of (knock on wood), and this is good because my car had 63 miles on it when I purchased it.
Old 12/4/04, 07:04 PM
FR500 Member

700 miles so far and no noises. Sounds like it should see the dealer asap.
Old 12/4/04, 07:52 PM
V6 Member

Mine is also knocking fro the drivers side valve cover when warm. I took it to ford and they changed the oil and said to bring it back in 1000 miles. I will be taking it back as soon as i get close to 1000 miles.
Old 12/4/04, 10:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

B) 1000 miles and only normal mechanical noise.
Recommend seeing your dealer
Old 9/7/05, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Burke0011@December 4, 2004, 7:19 PM
My brother and I were talking today about my sister-in-law's Redfire GT - and my brother noticed this sound over the past few days (started to notice after they passed 200 miles) - it didn't make it after they first picked it up:

On the driver's side under the valve cover is this 'tapping' type noise, that he says on an older car he would describe as a 'lifter tap' - gets more prominant as car gets warmer. And definitely on the driver's side specifically. It is loud enough to hear from INSIDE the car with the radio off - He knows it is not the pulse noises from the fuel injectors.

Anyone have any specific run-ins with this type of thing on the new GT?....

Any input is most appreciated - thanks!!!!
Burke, Any updates on your sister-in-law's car? Is the tapping noise still occuring? I saw you noticed my post on the TSB. I am going to start to locate the noise and find a dealership I can work with to resolve this issue. I thank you in advance for any help you could provide.
Old 9/7/05, 10:39 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by creedog@September 7, 2005, 10:04 AM
Burke, Any updates on your sister-in-law's car? Is the tapping noise still occuring? I saw you noticed my post on the TSB. I am going to start to locate the noise and find a dealership I can work with to resolve this issue. I thank you in advance for any help you could provide.

See my reply post in your other thread bro - I will let you know as soon as I get concrete info to go on - I believe my brother is calling the dealer he got a heads-up on today or tomorrow to get both cars scheduled....
Old 9/7/05, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just took mine in for the "tapping TSB". I'll let everyone know what they find out.
Michael
Old 9/10/05, 09:18 PM
GT Member

Any news yet about the knocking noise? Lately my engine has started to make an almost scraping noise with a knocking noise. It's not very noticable and it seems only me and people that ride in my car a lot notice it. I took it to the dealership and took the service manager for a ride to show him the noise. He said something about an air release valve? Sounded like a bunch of BS to me.
Old 9/10/05, 09:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm almost willing to bet it's the loud AC compressor if it's not the injectors you're hearing.
If not then take her to the dealer.
Old 9/14/05, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by manystangs@September 7, 2005, 10:49 AM
I just took mine in for the "tapping TSB". I'll let everyone know what they find out.
Michael
Mike, any updates for us regarding this TSB?

How about you Burke and your sister's car?
Old 9/14/05, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine is still in the shop. (I went in with a small list) I had a rattle on the drivers side also and they have a new inner fender ordered should be done tomorrow. They have been unable to duplicate the tapping again so I still dont know what they will do. The Service Manager originally told me he would order the lifters but the engineers at Ford wanted them to duplicate the noise. They have had it for a Week I hope it rears its ugly head while they have it. I will keep you guys posted on anything I find out
Michael
Old 9/26/05, 03:28 PM

I cant seem to find a copy of the TSB for the ticking anywhere now and my car is doing it bad. I wanna take a copy of the TSB in with me when I take my car in to get it fixed.
If anyone has a copy I would greatly appreciate it.
THANKS
Old 9/26/05, 03:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here ya go!http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...-08ticking.pdf

Michael
Old 9/26/05, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Any news on the fix yet??? My car is making new weird noises all the time but everytime dealer says its normal.......
Old 10/6/05, 04:35 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

mine just started making this ticking noise too. i can't tell if i just noticed it now, or if it just started.

i've been trying to figure out what makes that noise happen - with brake, with clutch, with gas but i can't seem to figure out a pattern.

argh - that link for the PDF doesn't work - anyone have any other information?

TIA

kris
Old 10/6/05, 10:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I know this is almost obvious, but are you guys sure it's not the AC compressor clutch cycling.
You can even see it when it starts and stops, it cycles about every 5 seconds or so.

Turn on the AC, pop the hood, look at your compressor and report if the "lifter/tick/chisp" noise you hear is when you see it grab and let go.
Old 10/6/05, 10:23 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Dimes to Donuts it's The VCT assembly. We have been through this at the Dealerships on 05 5.4 f150.
Old 10/7/05, 10:58 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by 05stangkc@October 6, 2005, 10:26 PM
Dimes to Donuts it's The VCT assembly. We have been through this at the Dealerships on 05 5.4 f150.
Exactly - it is NOT the AC compressor - it is a completely different thing and I remember (again, we have been dealing with this item for closing in on a year now) there being the similar thing wtih the F150s....

At least I don't feel so alone now - when I brought this up WAY back and only a few people responded, felt like it was just OUR cars.......
Old 10/7/05, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

They have to replace the "Phaser Bolt" in the VCT system. I had a tick when the engine was warm, that fixed it. I also had some knocking on cold start, they replaced the timing chain tensioner. That stoped that noise, now i have a different noise on cold starts. It lasts about 30 seconds, and then goes away. I don't know what the heck this noise is .... well at least the warm engine tick is gone.

Quick Reply: tapping sound from engine - sister's GT