Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Smart Junction Box Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/14, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smart Junction Box Replacement

Well, I've been bitten once again. I used to have a water leak onto the passenger floor, but they couldn't find it and it stopped. Of course my SJB had failed, so after it was replaced I still didn't see any water so I thought all is well.

The mirrors failed again, and after 1 particularly heavy rain the door locks went nuts. diagnosis? Water leak. This time traced to the pass. door moldings/weatherstripping which is a $300 job to replace all 3 pieces & apply a sealer specified in a TSB according to the Dealer. That leaves me on the hook still for a $400 SJB.

Question is: can I get one of those from a salvage yard? Does it require special programming that only a dealer can do, or can I replace it myself? What options do I have other than the dealer?
Old 7/11/14, 08:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Well, there's here, and it's interesting what they have to say about the whole deal... Including programming by the dealer. Have a read:

http://www.autopartscheaper.com/2005...m?1=1&CartID=0

Now, if the dealer doesn't install it because they didn't get the part themselves, will they honor the work, or are you ok with you now becoming the master of that particular part's universe... as in, do you want to pay for it twice if something happens to it? That's your question.

It *runs your car*, except the motor/trans.

I'm forkin' the 400. Or I'm doing it myself (not knowing what's involved, though, that's *real* easy for me to say off hand. But I do other stuff, how hard is a SJB?)

---

Edit: So I'm finding that out, here: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=422&viewfil... Box (SJB).pdf

Aand... It's a remove and replace. Almost literally a bolt and some connecters. But you also have to program it, which is here: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=404&viewfil...stallation.pdf

Which, while doable, I'm thinkin' I'd like the dealer to do that. I work with scantools (but only networking, making sure they print, and can basically connect to the car), but not Ford ones. I'd rather the dealer do it. Although, if I could justify the scantool, yep, I'd learn.

---

And finally, regarding using a junkyard one...? Maybe. It looks like there's two flavors, Coupe and Convertible, so you don't wanna mix 'em up. But there'll be programming nonetheless. Perhaps the dealer will throw the programming in, but honestly, I'm never, ever, going to use a junkyard one when I can get the new one.

I mean, I said it above. It runs the car. In this case, newer is the way to go, not old, and been sitting 'out there'.

Last edited by houtex; 7/11/14 at 08:50 PM.
Old 7/11/14, 09:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where you located? There are quite a few guys on the Forum that have a VCM II to program your SJB for you and save a trip to the dealer. More than likely a used one out of a similarly equipped car should be plug and play.
Old 7/11/14, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm in the Jackson, MS area.
Old 7/16/14, 05:05 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
Where you located? There are quite a few guys on the Forum that have a VCM II to program your SJB for you and save a trip to the dealer. More than likely a used one out of a similarly equipped car should be plug and play.
dmhines- just noticed in your sig/mods you list pony puddles instead of pedals...autocorrect strikes again

Houtex, good info there! I didnt know there was a revised part available
Old 7/16/14, 05:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL .. it is Pony Puddles .... I retrofitted the Running Horse Puddle Lights on my 2012.
Old 7/16/14, 07:43 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
LOL .. it is Pony Puddles .... I retrofitted the Running Horse Puddle Lights on my 2012.
DOH = I havent kept up on these things...puddle lights, sorry I know the lights you're talking about now, never knew what they called them

we were up in a small town yesterday, and a kinda unusual Amish buggy was in front of us- pneumatic tires and sprung axles, looked light, but along the lines of a tiny hay wagon, being pulled by a pony... they got over when the road widened and just as we started to go past, their pony started leaving a trail- perfect timing as we had just washed/dried the cars...I read pony puddles and a different meaning came to mind - as close as that pony was hitched, I bet they get wet floorboards on occasion too but doubt it would affect their smart junction box
Old 7/16/14, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought Pony Puddles referred to the water that accumulates on the passenger floor from the infamous leak! I had those!
Old 10/7/14, 12:29 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm so used to mine leaking water I just wrapped the SJB in a garbage bag with electrical tape; now I have no weird electrical glitches just a wet passenger compartment every now and then.
Old 1/2/15, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the information houtex, I was wondering if anyone had the line on where I can get the SJB reprogrammed in the Dallas/Plano area?
Old 10/27/15, 09:22 AM

Hi, I'm new to the site but I have a 2006 GT convertible, which I have been loving and really no issues up to 70K miles. However, this past summer, the battery was always dead. Issue didn't resolve with replacing it twice, so I realized it was something more... Took to dealer, they said it was the alternator. Got that replaced, issue persisted, took it back... then they said it's the smart junction box - said there was a faulty seal between the windshield and the chassis and therefore drops of water had gotten on the SJB over the years, leading to mold. Then, they tell me this item is on backorder til Dec. Called 1800 ford line, said they can't help. How can this item be so hard to find?
Old 10/27/15, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, it's an older model, and they made a lot more of them for the issues, but since it's now, what, nearly 10 years... the issue comes up less and less, is all, so they don't stock them as much... or at all. Hence the wait while they find/create one for ya.

Past that... you might start looking at other dealers, or other outlets such as a parts boneyard or non-dealer such as Rock Auto and see if you can find one. Maybe ebay. Although that's a *real* beware for me. I would rather have a new one if possible, because it runs the entire dang car. It's kinda important and stuff. Heh.

Also, not to really plug my own work, but I seem to have solved things, so I present my Patent Pending (not really) Battery Terminal and Area Cleanup and Corrode Proofing Guide (aka the BTACCP):

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...estion-534192/

So far, my battery issues have been done. And the alternator is fine, until the stupid clutch went out in it, but excepting that, no issue. (Who knew they had a clutch these days? Makes sense, but still... odd.)

And using this thing... I would do that, and then I would do the SJB. It's not a big deal to disconnect it, clean it up, and then put it back. Shouldn't even be an issue. Probably just disconnect it like the manual says to above, then get the gunk off. Plug it back in and see what happens.

Or at least take it out and find out that the dealer is grasping at a straw or two and it's just bad battery terminals or something, 'cause the SJB isn't dirty...

Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 10/27/15 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10/30/15, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the ideas houtex. I never noticed any corrosion around the battery, but that cleaner idea seems like good prevention - definitely going to do it some weekend. I am suspicious about this whole deal because I asked the dealer if they could save the old SJB for me, and they said no, then I asked if they'd please take a photo of the mold, so I could see, and they also said no. Currently the car is sitting at the dealer without a SJB, so it's not drivable. The latest from big Ford - they told me to call Green Sales or Vintage Parts. As much as I love my 'stang, I'm not impressed by this customer service...
Old 10/30/15, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wait. While the car was working, just this weird battery drainage... they took the SJB out and... did what with it? Toss it? Why didn't they just put it back together? Car would be working, just have to monitor the battery issue... maybe just unplug it overnight or something, but anythings better than the car being dead because they tossed the SJB!

Also, if they did this, you should get the part back. If that's the problem, and you want the old part, then you get the old part. You paid for it, it's not theirs. Then again, if not explicitly told, they'll just toss the old parts because storage, but... I'm still flabbergasted they'd take the car out of service and make you wait, if what I've read about the problem is right.

So they're putting you in a rental, right? I mean, if they're making that sort of call, they owe you wheels, my opinion. They killed your car until December. There's no way I'd let a car sit there for a month without getting them to pay for a rental.

If they aren't... be sure to hit up Deysha (FordCustomerService 'round these parts) and get one figured out. Because this is sounding more and more like customer abuse than customer service by that service department alone, much less Ford.

If they gave you wheels... then I'd use them knowing the car is under their care... and make them understand that it had better be in the same exact condition as you left it, and that includes paint, body, and interior. Pictures mutually, and then see ya in December when it's done.

Last edited by houtex; 10/30/15 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11/9/15, 12:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have used sjb's from the salvage yard, and No programming was required. I did have one glitch which I rectified myself. The security kept blinking so it turned out I needed the passive alarm sensor in the dome light. Went back to the car I got the sjb from, installed the sensor and was done with it.
If you find one with the same option content you have you are golden.Also take a good look at the socket where the connectors go. If you see traces of green oxidation, that box has seen water intrusion also move on.
Old 11/9/15, 12:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kmtoof
Thanks for the ideas houtex. I never noticed any corrosion around the battery, but that cleaner idea seems like good prevention - definitely going to do it some weekend. I am suspicious about this whole deal because I asked the dealer if they could save the old SJB for me, and they said no, then I asked if they'd please take a photo of the mold, so I could see, and they also said no. Currently the car is sitting at the dealer without a SJB, so it's not drivable. The latest from big Ford - they told me to call Green Sales or Vintage Parts. As much as I love my 'stang, I'm not impressed by this customer service...
Find a box and get your car away from that dealer fast. He is hosing you.
Old 11/10/15, 03:31 PM

I've got an 06GT. I know I can fix the leak. However, I'm having tons of embarrassing electrical problems. Like my horn turning on, and staying on. So if I fix the leak, remove the smart junction box, and dry it out, will it possibly work properly again? Any ideas. Driving into work with the horn going off is quite embarrassing.
Old 11/10/15, 08:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Possibly. But it could be that it's compromised and only a replacement will fix it.
Old 11/11/15, 06:37 PM

So jumping into this thread. My 05 GT Convertible suffered the dreaded water leak a couple weeks back and the SJB died completely. Thankfully the final death of the box occurred in my driveway so I was able to put it inside and drive my other rig. The issue now is finding a box as apparently they really just don't exist new at the moment. I've potentially found a used one, but though the donor car is an 05 GT, it is not a drop top. Can a used box be programmed for the convertible or do I need to keep looking?
Any advice is greatly appreciated or point me to a thread I haven't yet found searching.
Thanks,
Marc
Old 11/12/15, 05:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's where I got mine a year or so ago, unfortunately it's about a $100 more than I paid and they're out of stock at the moment, but you might want to check it out.

http://www.autopartscheaper.com/2005...z-15604-dc.htm

Quick Reply: Smart Junction Box Replacement