Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

SHAKER 500 CD ERROR

Old 8/20/10, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SHAKER 500 CD ERROR

My radio has had this "cd error" message before. I have cleared dtc's by using the #3 and #6 preset buttons to access the dtc and clear them. and it worked the time before. However, this time, it will clear dtc, but continues to not operate. Just says "intializing" and then nothing.

I have scheduled a service appt, but they are warning me that depending on the cds in the cd player, that warranty may or maynot cover the labor and parts.

Does anyone know how to manually remove without causing damage to radio and cd's?
Old 8/20/10, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry wouldn't be able to help really... But if you need a new unit I kept my old unit from my 05. Willing to sell if they are charging u arm and a leg... works perfect.
The following users liked this post:
Tammi Alcorn (8/19/19)
Old 8/21/10, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Is it a manufactured CD or a burned CD that is giving you trouble?
Old 8/21/10, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

When my Shaker failed, it gave the exact same error and had nothing to do with the type of CDs loaded... as none were installed. Not sure how they can not cover it due to the type of CD being used??
Old 8/21/10, 05:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Doogie
Not sure how they can not cover it due to the type of CD being used??
They are just covering their rear in case there is a "mini" CD or a taco shell in there.
Old 8/21/10, 07:02 PM

combination...manufactured and burned...4 or 5 cds in deck. (mp3 files on burned discs)
Old 8/22/10, 12:14 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by FERRARIGRL
combination...manufactured and burned...4 or 5 cds in deck. (mp3 files on burned discs)
Right, and it is an MP3 player.
How else would you be able to use the MP3 feature.
Where do you buy an MP3 disc?
I only make mine.
So how could that affect the warranty... It can't.
Old 8/23/10, 09:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I got a used Shaker off eBay a couple years ago for $150 or so. Probably cheaper now. But I look at it this way: Perfect time to upgrade (and this isn't the first time I've recommended this). They've got a lot of nice after-market decks for very reasonable prices, and I'm not talking about the $1000 touchscreen decks that seem to be so **** popular on this forum. I got a nice Pioneer deck for $350 that does MP3CDs, Bluetooth (comes with microphone), Bluetooth audio, USB input (iPod, thumb drives, etc), and an aux jack. Sounds great too, and wasn't that difficult to hook up. Trust me, I did the Shaker 500 for 2 1/2 years. Got so pissed at it I punched it. There are much better options out there than buying another one.
Old 8/24/10, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cavero
I got a used Shaker off eBay a couple years ago for $150 or so. Probably cheaper now. But I look at it this way: Perfect time to upgrade (and this isn't the first time I've recommended this). They've got a lot of nice after-market decks for very reasonable prices, and I'm not talking about the $1000 touchscreen decks that seem to be so **** popular on this forum. I got a nice Pioneer deck for $350 that does MP3CDs, Bluetooth (comes with microphone), Bluetooth audio, USB input (iPod, thumb drives, etc), and an aux jack. Sounds great too, and wasn't that difficult to hook up. Trust me, I did the Shaker 500 for 2 1/2 years. Got so pissed at it I punched it. There are much better options out there than buying another one.
She seemed to indicate that hers is still under warranty.
If the repair or exchange is free, it is still cheaper to go that way for now.
The warranty on my Shaker ran out last week, but I've never had a problem with it.
If mine dies though, I am going aftermarket for sure.
Old 2/9/11, 03:22 PM

After almost 6 years, my Shaker 500 system started acting up today. "CD Error" started up and I have 4 CDs trapped. How can I recover my CDs and is there a quick fix I can do?

Last edited by kryptonite; 2/9/11 at 03:24 PM.
Old 2/10/11, 04:12 AM

When I had mine replaced, for the second time, Ford had to send the radio back to its manufacturer to have the cd's removed. I would definitely look at after market radios if you can because the last time mine was replaced, the Ford Tech indicated that they have had quite a bit of issues with the Shaker 500 for this particular reason. Good Luck
Old 2/15/11, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I just replaced my Skaer unit in the fall. Got soooooo sick and tired of it spitting out CD's, CD's not working and such.

Replaced with a Kenwood DNX8120, touchscreen, NAV, the works. Only 1 CD/DVD in at a time, but I have my USB stick plugged at all time with lots of music.

GET RID OF THE SHAKER!
Old 2/15/11, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kryptonite
After almost 6 years, my Shaker 500 system started acting up today. "CD Error" started up and I have 4 CDs trapped. How can I recover my CDs and is there a quick fix I can do?
Take the radio out, remove the front bezel, plug the connectors in the back and turn the key to accessory. Rotate to each cd and hit eject, then insert a flat screwdriver in under the bottom of the cd and put pressure on it towards the top of the cd player, then drag it out. If you do it carefully or tape up your screwdriver, you might get them out without damaging them. As for me, I already had the cd's ripped, so I mangled the holy hell out of them just to get it done.
Old 2/15/11, 07:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by azoufan
Take the radio out, remove the front bezel, plug the connectors in the back and turn the key to accessory. Rotate to each cd and hit eject, then insert a flat screwdriver in under the bottom of the cd and put pressure on it towards the top of the cd player, then drag it out. If you do it carefully or tape up your screwdriver, you might get them out without damaging them. As for me, I already had the cd's ripped, so I mangled the holy hell out of them just to get it done.
Not the greatest idea for the CD's sake, but it works. Maybe something like a swiss army knife blade wrapped in electrical tape would have better luck. It's a lot thinner than a screw driver, wider (more surface area), but it's not going to bend like a putty knife would
Old 2/16/11, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

The last time I had mine replaced the tech that did it got the CD's out in nothing flat. This was a vendor that came in with the replacement units and not the dealer tech.

I was going to live with the replacements until the unit killed my battery while the car was parked at the airport lot because it was continually searching for the CD.

I went with a Pioneer Nav system.
Old 4/17/11, 07:18 PM
FR500 Member

Add mine to the list of cars that have had this problem, just before I am going to sell the car too...