Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang > Warranty and Service Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Warranty and Service Issues All Warrenty related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the service departments.

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 2/13/07, 10:18 AM   #1
GT Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rdk0420
Rear Defrost

Has anyone had issues with the rear defrost not working?
rdk0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/13/07, 9:50 PM   #2
Bullitt Member

np w/ my rear defroster. Have you checked/swapped out the fuse?
DoctorQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/18/07, 3:05 AM   #3
Mach 1 Member

I had a problem with my rear defroster. It was in the wiring. More time consuming than anything.

BTW that's the only problem I've had ;-)
Old 2/18/07, 8:00 AM   #4
I Have No Life

Glenn

06 LL GT
other than having to turn it on for more than one cycle no problems
Hers 2010 lexus IS250 mine 06 legend lime GT, Shaftmasters alum drive shaft, under drive pulley's, Steeda sport springs, Koni strt S/S, JLT cai w/bama tunes, Hankook V12's 255/35 275/35/20" pinnacale wheels, BBK headers W/high flow BBK catted X-pipe, Pype's Violator Axle-Back. 3k oil change tires
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/25/07, 9:33 PM   #5
Bullitt Member

05 GT Coupe 5M LL
Read the TSB 04-24-05. It may help you.
Lime GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/13/08, 8:17 PM   #6

Scott

07 Mustang GT Premium Stick
Rear Defrost Connector Issue - 07 Mustang

I'm having an issue on my rear defrost as well (2007 Mustang GT, 16K miles). The wire connection to the vertical bus bar on the passenger side has somehow separated. I have no idea how. What I do know is that no one drives the car but me and I've never hauled anything near that back window or done any kind of modifications. This seems like a classic solder joint ... those things can fail, and it's possible that the original connection was not 100% perfect to begin with. I also learned doing some internet research that the rear defrost is the biggest amp draw of any accessory in the vehicle ... there's a lot of energy running through there, and it seems to me that a lot of energy, plus a less than perfect connection, plus heavy use could cause it to fail or separate.

Anyway, this looks like a simple solder repair. The wire connection has about a round, 1/2 inch diameter piece of the vertical brown bus bar still attached to it. Looks like it can be simply re-soldered there, or something similar.

Took my car to the dealer yesterday and I got concerned when they said Ford asked to see 12 pictures of the area in question. Apparently, Ford believes that I caused this damage myself and is refusing to cover the warranty claim. Ironically, nothing in their TSB (04-24-05 I believe) mentions excluding repairs or claims like the one I am mentioning -- although they do exclude a lot of repairs/claims on the horizontal gridlines assuming the owners damaged them. And they give a very detailed but relatively simple procedure (0.4 hours of labor) on how to fix my problem using a solder or conductive epoxy approach. Hard to understand why you'd need 12 pictures to decide on whether to do a 24 minute repair.

Apparently the dealer has had mixed experience with trying to re-solder the joints and is trying to say that an entire new rear window could be needed as windows could sometimes crack during the process. I'm pushing the dealer to get Ford to accept the claim, and if not successful there, I'll seek arbitration. I expect to hear from Ford tomorrow. Of course, it sounds like a $15 repair ... assuming I won't damage the window, I could have someone more competent than my dealer do the work.

Anyone else have a similar situation? Hard to believe that such a straightforward item could become such a big issue of contention.
ScottyinLouisville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/18/08, 7:36 PM   #7
V6 Member

I had mine fixed about 5 months ago and it has seperated again. Only problem is the dealer who fixed is an hour away. I am thinking about trying the conductive epoxy fix.

Anybody have any experience with conductive epoxy?
Pendarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/23/08, 9:21 AM   #8

Scott

07 Mustang GT Premium Stick
Pendaurus, do you know how the connector became separated from the window the first time? Was it under warranty at the time, and did the dealer fix it under the warranty?
ScottyinLouisville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/25/08, 1:26 PM   #9
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyinLouisville View Post
Pendaurus, do you know how the connector became separated from the window the first time? Was it under warranty at the time, and did the dealer fix it under the warranty?

It was broken when I bought the car. It was fixed under the bumper to bumper warranty. I assume Ford warrantys the repair for 12 months. I may have to take it back to the dealer I bought it from to get it fixed since the car is no longer under the bumper to bumper warranty.
Pendarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/25/08, 1:26 PM