Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang > Warranty and Service Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Warranty and Service Issues All Warrenty related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the service departments.

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12/29/09, 4:57 AM   #1
GT Member

How much oil goes in rear-end (differential)?

Hi there

Everyone seems to have a different answer.

How many quarts of 75-140 oil go into the rear-end (differential)?
Gibbo_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/09, 5:42 PM   #2
Team Mustang Source

Rich

Buy 3 quarts and a bottle of friction modifier.
GRAYPNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/09, 8:01 PM   #3
Bullitt Member

Use royal purple, posi trac additive already in it.
2005mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/09, 8:42 AM   #4
I Have No Life

Glenn

06 LL GT
so how many quarts does it hold? 2.something?
Hers 2010 lexus IS250 mine 06 legend lime GT, Shaftmasters alum drive shaft, under drive pulley's, Steeda sport springs, Koni strt S/S, JLT cai w/bama tunes, Hankook V12's 255/35 275/35/20" pinnacale wheels, BBK headers W/high flow BBK catted X-pipe, Pype's Violator Axle-Back. 3k oil change tires
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/09, 6:27 PM   #5
Team Mustang Source

Rich

Mine holds more because of the TechCo Watt's link cover. I think it's about 2.5 quarts + the friction modifier.
I use the Ford full synthetic gear oil with the Ford friction modifier. Not a fan of Royal Purple but that JMO~
GRAYPNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/09, 6:32 PM   #6
Bullitt Member

Phil

Beater: 07 Focus, Project: 67 Cougar XR-7, RVs: 05 Mustang GT & YAMAHA V-Star 1100
I just had my gears changed yesterday and the rear end held 3 qts of Royal Purple 75W140 which includes the friction modifier. So, 3 qts to fill the 8.8 inch rear end.
Performance Modifications: C&L Intake and MAF, Diablosport C&L 93 octane tune, Flowmaster Axle-Back Exhaust, Hurst Competition Plus shifter w/Hurst Pistol Grip Handle, FRPP 4.10 gears, Nitto 295/45 & 255/45 tires. Non-Performance Modifications: 18" DD Bullitt wheels, Satin Silver Vinyl Stripes, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, Painted Calipers, Painted Valve Covers, Integrated Garage Door Remote, GT500 Spoiler, Legend front splitter, Lowered 1-3/4" in rear, 1" in front, Pony fender emblems, Pony trunk medallion, Inboard brake lights enabled, UPR billet pedal covers, Antenna -8", BMR adjustable panhard bar.
LimeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/12/10, 2:24 PM   #7
Cobra R Member

I've been told you fill it up until it starts overflowing from the filler hole. About 3.5 quarts for me. It overflows out of the vent on the top of the axle later, but I don't think it hurts to overfill, it's not a pressurized system.
Summer: Nitto NT555 245/45R18 f & 275/40R18, Konig Stampede's
Cosmetic: CDC Agressive chin spoiler, Shelby CS6 hood, GT500 bumper, painted stripes, Interior: whole lotta aluminum.
Future: Hmmm....
06 Tungsten Gray GT Coupe, 5spd manual, Interior Upgrade Package, Active Anti-theft
Cavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/12/10, 10:03 PM   #8
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

Nope, just messy...
Mods so far: GT/CS Bumper, Satin Black lower trim all 'round, Custom Blackened Dash Panels, 2010 GT500 Vert Wheels, GTA Axle-backs.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/s...&highlight=wai
---
Ride, the Copper and Gold PC800 of Win: http://i.imgur.com/eiECkMg.jpg
---
In memory of my dearly missed Muskrat (RIP)
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/12/10, 10:03 PM