Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Heater controls not working properly

Old 8/7/06, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Heater controls not working properly

Anyone having a problen with the heater being directed to the floor only? When I set it for floor only it also comes out from the center of the winshild defroster. Dealer says this is normal. My other Mustang did not do this.
Old 8/7/06, 09:54 AM
GT Member

This is how they seem to work in the 05+ stangs. This has been discussed many times. I think if you do a search on heater you should be able to find the discussions.
Old 8/8/06, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was told the same thing - it is normal.
Old 8/11/06, 08:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
last winter I sat for floor+dash, and just closed the dash vents to keep my feet from freezing. just cant turn to '3' or '4' as it will whistle. on my list of things to do, figuring out where to put a trim pot/resistor for the blend door feedback- the schematics are clear, but havent tried to find location of plug, or extra male/female plugs to splice in without cutting anything...cant believe they let this go...
Old 8/11/06, 09:26 PM
FR500 Member

i had the same problem a few months back...i forgot about it cuz everythings working fine now...dont know whats wrong
Old 8/17/06, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I just brought mine home from having that looked at. They just said it is a characteristic of these cars. No other car I've ever owned did that.
Old 8/23/06, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fond this on an hold thread about this issue:

Ford Special Service Message 18284:

2005 MUSTANG - HIGH AIRFLOW FROM DEFROSTER VENTS WHEN IN FLOOR OR FLOOR/DEFROST MODES

SOME 2005 MUSTANGS MAY INTERMITTENTLY EXHIBIT HIGH AIRFLOW FROM THE DEFROSTER VENTS WHEN OPERATING THE CLIMATE CONTROL IN THE FLOOR OR FLOOR/DEFROST MODES. ENGINEERING IS CURRENTLY INVESTIGATING THIS CONDITION. TO TEMPORARILY RESOLVE THE CONDITION, TURN THE CLIMATE CONTROL PANEL CONTROL TO THE 'OFF' POSITION, THEN TURN IT BACK TO THE DESIRED MODE. DO NOT ATTEMPT REPAIR UNTIL A NEW SERVICE PROCEDURE AND/OR PARTS ARE RELEASED.
MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 11/09/2004

Someone should check with ford if they fianlly came out with a fix !
Old 8/23/06, 09:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by fast frankie
Anyone having a problen with the heater being directed to the floor only? When I set it for floor only it also comes out from the center of the winshild defroster. Dealer says this is normal. My other Mustang did not do this.
WTH are you using the heater in August for ?
Old 10/26/06, 08:47 PM
Cobra Member

Has anyone got this fixed yet. I have an 07 that does that and the dealer cant tell me that is the way it is suppose to be, if so they would not have a position on the heater control for the floor and floor/defrost. I dont know about you but I didnt pay that much for a car that everything doesnt work right.
Old 10/27/06, 04:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just had my 06 GT fixed for this last week. They had to order a new control for it. Apparently they had to change out the entire assembly with the ***** behind the dash. It took them about an hour and it works great now. I didnt notice it at first as I got the car last Mat but I am still driving it and it is cold in the morning up here in Maine now. I plan on winter storing her soon but havent had time yet. Anyway it should be a easy fix.
Old 10/27/06, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can anyone else confirm that this fix Webba is talking about has been done with someone else's car? I would take mine in to get it fixed as well, but not if it is going to be a waste of a trip.
Old 10/27/06, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=12592

Same issue in this thread. Call a different dealer if yours is giving you the this is normal BS.
Old 10/27/06, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chorpeac
Can anyone else confirm that this fix Webba is talking about has been done with someone else's car? I would take mine in to get it fixed as well, but not if it is going to be a waste of a trip.
I too would like to know this, I just had my car in for another issue and forgot about this problem. It's starting to get cold around here and I thought it was weird that there was so much air blowing out the defrost when set to floor only.

Is there a TSB on this?
Old 2/6/07, 09:49 AM

Cool

Dude,

Some lame brain had the idea that the windshield fogs up too easy. So... they decided to always have airflow to the defroster even when you only want floor heat. Local Ford rep can get you the TSB. They were also trying to fix a too noisy fan when used on high. It's B.S. But it is what it is.
Old 4/16/07, 09:11 AM
t9r
V6 Member

I've searched but can't find at TSB about this issue as we are having the same problem with our 2006.
Old 4/26/07, 05:12 AM
t9r
V6 Member

Angry Did they even look at the car?

Took the Mustang to one dealer yesterday. They say due to FORD documentation 412-00-7 where it states "A small amount of airflow from the defrost duct and side deministers will be present" when FLOOR setting is selected that our problem is NOT a problem.

I have 2 problems with this, first I own other manufacture vehicles and when FLOOR is selected NO air comes out any other vent. Second issue is that there is NOT a SMALL amount of airflow coming from the defrost duct but a LARGE amount. This makes me wonder if the dealer even looked at the car!
Old 4/26/07, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I went through the same thing last week with the same reply. Make sure you phone Ford Customer Service to let them know there is still a problem.
Engineering needs to address the problem better than just changing the wording from the Special Service Message 18284 (high airflow), the S197 Oasis Report 19528 (some airflow) and the Service Manual (a small amount of airflow).

I explained to them my problem was poor airflow to my feet because of the way the ducts design directs airflow under the dash towards the firewall instead of down to the floor. I mentioned their defrost, high airflow, problem doesn't help the situation either because when you turn the fan speed up heat your feet you get way too much air burning your face.

The lady I talked to at Ford Customer Service basically said she'd relay my complaint to engineering as they don't get many complaints about the heater because most people don't drive the mustangs in the winter.

I will also be mailing Ford Correspondence about my situation as well with excerpts from different mustang forum posts.

Please, if you have a problem with your climate control system, call Ford Customer Service and log a complaint. Tell them even though the dealer tells you everything's OK, it isn't.
Old 4/29/07, 09:12 PM
V6 Member

I got the same BS on mine.

We checked the 2007's and they all do it as well, so I don't think replacing anything will solve the problem. What's even stupider is there is a setting to blow air on the floor and defrost if you want it.

Yet an other engineering flaw Ford refuses to fix.

Right up there with seats that don't recline back to where you have them, gas pedals that are too close to the diver in relationship to the steering wheel / shifter, keys that hit you in the knee....

All simple stuff that would cost Ford no more to do it right the first time.

Mike