Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hand brake / Parking brake issues

Old 9/24/09, 04:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand brake / Parking brake issues

Hi there

My car is a 2005 V8 Mustang GT with stick/manual shift.

Recently the handbrake has been rather poor, as in when pulling it up to on it barely held the car.

Now its decided to give up all together, I was on a hill pulling it up and its like something in the level just gave way, now when I pull the level up the handbrake is going on but the level is not clicking up it just falls back down, so now I have no hand brake as such.

A local shop looked it over for me and said I need the two secondary cables for the handbrake as this was the reason it was poor and the level no longer clicked/held up.

I am confused though as to what the cables have to do with the handbrake level clicking up or do they add resistance which makes it click or do you guys think I need a new lever too or parts that go inside it?

Lastly and most importantly as I am in the UK is there anywhere that can supply these cables to me and ship to the UK?
Old 9/24/09, 08:48 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a TSB on the e-brake cables. They would freeze in cold weather. The rubber boots at the calipers would deteriorate and allow water to enter the cable and freeze. I have seen some rust and fail from this issue. Do a search here and you should find it.
Old 9/25/09, 06:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
There is a TSB on the e-brake cables. They would freeze in cold weather. The rubber boots at the calipers would deteriorate and allow water to enter the cable and freeze. I have seen some rust and fail from this issue. Do a search here and you should find it.

Hi there

Not getting on too well with the search, nothing coming up for me, can you give me a link please and is it easily repaired or what is required to fix the issue?
Old 9/25/09, 08:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

The threads may have been lost in the server backup failure.

I could definitely see it as being you needing new cables, definitely check before laying out for the expense though.

The handbrake is a mechanical device that runs cables back to the rear calipers. If you've ever taken your rear wheels off, you can see the cable where it attaches to the caliper. So in that sense, the emergency brake isn't much different from the brakes on a bicycle -- metal cables that pull on the brake when you engage it. If the cables wear, all the pulling in the world won't do you any good.

That said, I'd definitely check to make sure the handbrake doesn't just need an adjustment before getting anything repaired.
Old 9/25/09, 08:48 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the hand brake hold the car if you hold the handle up?

If not it sounds like you have two issues. Even if the cables were broken I would think the handle would still click.
Old 9/25/09, 10:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 07S197
Does the hand brake hold the car if you hold the handle up?

If not it sounds like you have two issues. Even if the cables were broken I would think the handle would still click.

If I pull the handle up the handbrake ONLY just holds the car, if its a real steep hill then no chance and the handle won't stay up.

I've tried adjusting it, which helped a bit a few months ago but now its gone.

I just need to get the parts ASAP, so I need to buy the cables and a new handle/rachet so where can I buy these parts online please?
Old 9/25/09, 11:08 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If when you pull the handle up it will hold the car then it sounds like you only need a handle. However if it does not hold the car very well then the cables are surely steched out and you will need both. I don't know where you could get these from. Talk to KC in the OE parts section of the site, at the very least you can get some part numbers from him for the items you will need.
Old 9/26/09, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I broke mine trying to set it on a hill. It was covered under warranty due to the TSB. After, I still noticed it would barely hold even pulling it hard. Since I was worried about breaking it again, I figured I needed new brakes, so when I did my slotted rotors and pads, my guy tighted it a bit. It still scares me a little as I have to pull it hard to get it to hold.

Mike E