Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fueling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/06, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fueling Problem

I've had my 2005 Mustang GT for over a year now and within the past few months it has had problems fueling. It acts as though it is full and the pump will click off even when I try to fuel it slowly. I've read many other places where a lot of other people are having this same problem. It seems to be some sort of pressure issue. Ford has a service bulletin out about it in which they replace the gas tank, but I've read where that doesn't fix the problem. Does anyone know what's goin on and how to fix it?

Jody
Old 5/28/06, 12:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MustangGirl_05
I've had my 2005 Mustang GT for over a year now and within the past few months it has had problems fueling. It acts as though it is full and the pump will click off even when I try to fuel it slowly. I've read many other places where a lot of other people are having this same problem. It seems to be some sort of pressure issue. Ford has a service bulletin out about it in which they replace the gas tank, but I've read where that doesn't fix the problem. Does anyone know what's goin on and how to fix it?

Jody
Over the last several months I've been taking my car to the same station and using the same pump when I need gas since that's the only pump that seems to work for my car.
In the few times I've used a different station where the pump keeps shutting off I turn the nozzle upside down and it works fine.
Old 5/28/06, 10:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
mine hasnt done it since december- but it burped gas out too. I had been going to the same pump for months, but had to gas up out of town one day- ironically right by dealer where first burp occurred- and its OK. tried 6 different pumps last 6 fillups, no issues(even the ones that would not work before). someone mentioned cold weather was worse, could be on mine- same pump all winter...it IS BS and Ford really needs to revise this fill tube before the 2006 comes out...oops, well maybe before the 2008 comes out at least...seems every mustang will have the issue sooner or later...heres a neat little tidbit from a assembly line guy at ford (sadly a enemy to kzinti, but still thought this was interesting post):

(sparks will fly @ May 23 2006, 02:55 AM)

Filler issues on the 'stang? Well I can tell you that the filler neck on the F-150 is about half the size on the 04 and newer trucks. The enineer's said so you could not see it as well from the street? WTF now the trucks have to have the gas chiller cranked down and slow fill for 1/2 a gallon for the first time so gas is not all over the operator. When we have had chiller problems they could not even get gas in them while on the line, the jobs were pushed off and filled by a hand pump so the gas would even go in the truck. Does this sound the same? The filler neck needs to be bigger in diameter to handle the gas going in.
Old 6/30/06, 01:41 PM
GT Member

I got this problem on my 2006GT. It has heppened a few times. It says in th TSB that the 2006s already have the revised fuel tank...which make the problem bad. I have been going to the next closest gas station (sometimes just across the street) and it would work fine. Its annoying...

Anyone got any news, lately?
Old 7/1/06, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

today i was zooming into a corner and got cut off.
i slammed the brakes to keep from hitting the turd.

2 minutes later i get the low fuel warning and it says 0 miles to empty?

somehow i lost between a 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas???

went to the station filled it untill it spilled over and it only took 5 gallons?????

got in the car and the gauge says 1/2 full???

drove the car, hit the brakes and the gas and turned side to side to see if the sending unit was stuck??

it still shows 1/2 tank?????????????????????????

jay
Old 7/1/06, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jay-Did you happen to leave your key in the on position to listen the the radio or record your mileage during refueling?
If you did then the gas gauge will not reset and show the correct fuel leval in the tank until the key has been turned off, then back on?
If that doesn't solve the problem then a trip to the dealer in is order.
Old 3/12/07, 06:23 PM
GT Member

OK I decided NOT to take it in to the dealer because I wasn't confident they knew what the problem was.

This morning I went to put some gas in after letting the tank run almost dry. I started to put gas in it and about 2 secs later, yes I said 2 secs, gas comes spurting out all over the car and it continued for like 3 secs. I proceeded to do what I normally would do to bypass this issue and it didn't work. I then tried what other people suggested and that was to turn the nozzle upside down, still no good! I could only put about 2-3 secs of gas in each time. I immediately drove up to the dealership.

The tech came with me to a different station and the same thing happened again except this time it just clicked off instead of exploding all over my car.

The first thing he says is that he would contact Ford engineering and ask them. After we get back to the dealer and he looks up some stuff, he says that they wanted to "check it out" to see what the problem was. THEN he tells me that he remembers another person having a similar issue and they discovered that he had a spider web in the tank causing the issue and thinks that maybe I have a similar problem. WHAT???????????? How the hell does a spider even GET into the tank much less survive long enough to build a house? That's crazy!!!!

So I told him NO, I'm not going to let your guys experiment on my car. Call Ford, ask them and we'll do what they suggest. That's what the tech said he'd do and that's what I want. He then gets all huffy and goes and gets a manager who also gets huffy because I stick to my guns and keep saying no. Then the manager asks me where I bought it, and my reply was that I didn't really understand what that had to do with anything. Then he asked me what I wanted them to do. So I proceeded to tell then yet again.

GEEZ!!!!!!!! What's up with these people? This is a legitamate problem and it needs to be fixed! I understand that there may be a little frustration on their part no being able to fix something but don't you think it's slightly easier saying that? "Um, we're sorry sir, Ford engineering hasn't provided us with a fix as of yet for this problem." I mean how freakin hard is that to say???

It sure is a lot easier on the ears than "Maybe you have a spider in your tank and we want you to give us your baby for a few days so we can take it apart and try to find it."

On the different sation note....That's crap!!!! When was the last time any one of you had someone that told you "hey dude, had a problem with the quik trip down the road...try the P66 station over there by the grocery store, it worked fine" That's just dumb!!!! YES it might work but come on. How many cars of different make and model are on the road? How many millions??? How many have this problem??? Only 05 06 and maybe 07 Ford mustangs????

For me, I was lucky. For the first year, 3700 miles and roughly 20 or so fillups, I didn't have this problem. Why now? I don't know. Maybe the spider got a hooker, knocked her up and now the kids live at home!

Anyone have any Ford engineering contacts?
Old 3/16/07, 09:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by packhater

On the different sation note....That's crap!!!! When was the last time any one of you had someone that told you "hey dude, had a problem with the quik trip down the road...try the P66 station over there by the grocery store, it worked fine" That's just dumb!!!! YES it might work but come on. How many cars of different make and model are on the road? How many millions??? How many have this problem??? Only 05 06 and maybe 07 Ford mustangs????
How many times are you going to post this same exact post? '03-05 G35s have the same problem you do. My car doesn't.