Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Driver's side air mode actuator

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/14, 05:53 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's side air mode actuator

So a couple months ago I heard the infamous clicking sound and it was coming from the worst actuator imaginable, the vent selector on the driver's side.
My current progress I have the instrument cluster out and the radio but friends I'm stumped sadly. I have looked over many threads and manuals through the months and was thinking it would be time consuming but doable. Now I'm at the point where getting to that 2nd screw is still impossible without removing the HVAC duct that blocks any socket or screw driver I've tried. For those of you that did this your self how did you do it? Especially with that solid ABS plastic vent. If it was rubber it wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks so much!
Old 2/24/14, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ 88 FAN
So a couple months ago I heard the infamous clicking sound and it was coming from the worst actuator imaginable, the vent selector on the driver's side.
My current progress I have the instrument cluster out and the radio but friends I'm stumped sadly. I have looked over many threads and manuals through the months and was thinking it would be time consuming but doable. Now I'm at the point where getting to that 2nd screw is still impossible without removing the HVAC duct that blocks any socket or screw driver I've tried. For those of you that did this your self how did you do it? Especially with that solid ABS plastic vent. If it was rubber it wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks so much!
Bump..I'm having same problem
Old 2/26/14, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So am I...
Old 2/27/14, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I just learned a little something on this very subject today, the day after I first read this thread.

One of the mechanics at the dealership I work for was working on an '08 GT which had this problem. And the same roadblock happened to him. And the solution, apparently, is to 'dent' the tube in question to be able to get to that screw with a ratchet.

Now... I can't get into more specifics, where, how much, etc.. I'm sure it won't affect much the airflow to that left side vent anyway, seems it doesn't get as much as the middle in the first place, right? So what's a little bit of a dent.

The shop manual says that you can get to this with a 'shallow universal socket.' So... if you wish to not use the dent method, then you'll have to acquire one of those things. https://www.google.com/#q=shallow+un...ocket&tbm=shop

Hope that helps in some way!
Old 2/27/14, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by houtex
I just learned a little something on this very subject today, the day after I first read this thread.

One of the mechanics at the dealership I work for was working on an '08 GT which had this problem. And the same roadblock happened to him. And the solution, apparently, is to 'dent' the tube in question to be able to get to that screw with a ratchet.

Now... I can't get into more specifics, where, how much, etc.. I'm sure it won't affect much the airflow to that left side vent anyway, seems it doesn't get as much as the middle in the first place, right? So what's a little bit of a dent.

The shop manual says that you can get to this with a 'shallow universal socket.' So... if you wish to not use the dent method, then you'll have to acquire one of those things. https://www.google.com/#q=shallow+un...ocket&tbm=shop

Hope that helps in some way!
Thanks! I guess I will have to bring my in the the local Ford dealer. Im just nervous about leaving my car with anyone. Im always scared they will rip the bumper or something off trying to drive it up the ramps or ruin my tune by re flashing my computer.