Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Driver Power Seat Issue

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/10, 10:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Power Seat Issue

I have a '05 and the the driver's power seat goes backward, up and down but will not move forward anymore . I've searched the site and the web - but did not find much information. My thought is if the motor was bad the seat wouldn't move in the other directions. Is there a gear or something that maybe wont allow it to move forward? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 4/12/10, 10:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
When you try to move it forward, are you in it? Have you tried without being in it? And do you hear it trying to work, or not?

I'm guessing bad switch, myself...

For reference:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/2...er78/track.jpg

As you can see in the picture the rearmost motor controls the front-back via the screwjacks on the sides. If it won't go forward, but does go back, then the motor's not turning one way. It could be bound due to not enough lubrication on the screwjacks, or the wiring is bad going to it, or the switch is bad.

The other two control the front and rear tilt, and when operated together raise and lower the seat, and explain why the other translations don't fit into this particular problem.

Hope this helps in your diagnosis!
Old 4/15/10, 11:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Does not move forward with me in it or out of it and does not make a sound as if its trying to more. From what I've been able to find it sounds like if one motor is shot you have to replace the whole track. Guess I'll keep digging for information.
Old 6/7/10, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

My seat just took a cr4p on me. Moves up, down and forward but not back. I checked fuse #14 and it's good.
Old 7/15/10, 05:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mine was the actual gear - it snapped, fuse would have been much cheaper!
Old 2/17/14, 09:58 AM

"I have a '05 and the the driver's power seat goes backward, up and down but will not move forward anymore. I've searched the site and the web - but did not find much information. " -

I'm having the exact same problem in a 2006 mustang, automoatic drivers side seat will go up/down and backward but not forward. I can't hear any sounds from the gears when trying to go forward and pulling the seat as I press the forward button doesn't help.

I couple dealers already told me I can't just buy the motor or switch (if those are the problem) and I have to replace the whole seat track assembly which I"m not excited about.

uofh2005 were you able to get to the bottom of the problem, any other's feedback/recomendations welcomed.
Old 2/20/14, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just a few suggestions; The motor is operated in both directions from the switch. Myself, I would try to remove the switch and disassemble it if possible and clean it's contacts. The contacts may be dirty. Don't use sandpaper to clean, use a pink eraser to polish them. That being said the switch may have tiny springs and rocking style contacts so disassembling takes careful observation of what goes where.

If you can't disassemble the switch shake it and listen parts that may be broken.
You may also be able to just clean the switch using oil free contact cleaner if it's not sealed.
http://crc-canada.ca/support/prod_de...x?PN=72130&S=N
Old 6/23/14, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by turbosyde
"I have a '05 and the the driver's power seat goes backward, up and down but will not move forward anymore. I've searched the site and the web - but did not find much information. " -

I'm having the exact same problem in a 2006 mustang, automoatic drivers side seat will go up/down and backward but not forward. I can't hear any sounds from the gears when trying to go forward and pulling the seat as I press the forward button doesn't help.

I couple dealers already told me I can't just buy the motor or switch (if those are the problem) and I have to replace the whole seat track assembly which I"m not excited about.

uofh2005 were you able to get to the bottom of the problem, any other's feedback/recomendations welcomed.
I have the same problem... Did you ever find out what was wrong with it....?
Old 6/23/14, 09:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Most of the time it is a bad motor that is repairable only by purchasing an entire new rack. Might find a used on in a yard somewhere. I have dealt with several seat issues on these cars and all were the same. Never saw a bad switch....but did see one bad gear situation.
Old 9/2/14, 12:24 PM

Same Problem

I am having the same problem on an '05 where the power seat will go in every direction but not forward. I took the seat out an reversed the two wires going into the forward/back seat motor. Now when I go to move the seat back, it goes forward and when I go to move the seat forward, nothing happens.

This tells me that this is not a problem with the gearing or motor but something electrical. I plan on ordering a switch to try replacing that and see if that is the problem. I have seen the switch for sale online for about $150.

I will keep you guys posted.
Old 9/2/14, 03:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You could hot wire and jump around the switch to verify.....I still bet on the motor. When I bought my '11, the seat went back...not forward....the rack was replaced, not the switch....no more issues.
Old 9/25/14, 01:42 PM

I ended up just replacing the switch and it fixed my problem. I found the part for sale here: http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-powe...5-2009/p/PSS5/
Old 5/22/15, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by willyam111
I ended up just replacing the switch and it fixed my problem. I found the part for sale here: http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-powe...5-2009/p/PSS5/
NICE!!!!! I guess I'll be ordering mine. Both of my seats are now doing the same thing as you described
Old 5/23/15, 12:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone have same problems in the S197 models?
Old 7/24/16, 08:44 AM

I have the same problem with my '09 Mustang GT. The problem is with the 14A701 seat switch. These switches are NOTORIOUS for failing in the "forward" position.

This switch is used in MOST Ford products from 2005 and on. Depending on which Ford vehicle you have, the price will vary. Example: For a2005 Ford Explorer, the 14A701 switch is about $75. For a 2005 Ford Mustang, the switch is $150!

IF you go to your favorite automotive parts store (i.e., O'Reilly, Auto Zone, etc.) they seem to split the difference and charge about $115.

Not for nothin'....just so ya know! (You just gotta love Long Island-ers!)
Old 8/8/16, 01:42 PM

I have a 2005 Mustang the the drivers side power seat will not go forward. The motor seems to be working as the right side moves slightly forward but no movement on the left side. So the seat just swivels slightly counter-clock wise. Suggestions please! Thanks!!!
Old 8/8/16, 08:15 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
There are recent threads on this issue. If the seat moves in some directions, but not others, the motor is working, and the GEARS are stripped. Sucks.
Old 8/8/16, 08:52 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
My seat quit moving up/down on the front half of the seat. Part number ER3Z-78617D66-A fixed my seat. It is a fairly straight-forward repair. The hard part was driving out pin connecting the drive assembly to the lifting lever. The kit includes new screws and even a tube of grease. I careful examination of the old part is needed to know how to assemble the drive assembly since there are no instructions. This was much better (less than $50) than a whole new track.

This part number is for any of the three drive gears on the seat. I the mortar is still spinning, this will probably fix it.
Old 8/8/16, 11:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
My seat quit moving up/down on the front half of the seat. Part number ER3Z-78617D66-A fixed my seat. It is a fairly straight-forward repair. The hard part was driving out pin connecting the drive assembly to the lifting lever. The kit includes new screws and even a tube of grease. I careful examination of the old part is needed to know how to assemble the drive assembly since there are no instructions. This was much better (less than $50) than a whole new track.

This part number is for any of the three drive gears on the seat. I the mortar is still spinning, this will probably fix it.
In the other thread discussing this repair kit it came to light that it does not include the worm gear. Was this the case with yours?
Old 8/9/16, 05:29 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
In the other thread discussing this repair kit it came to light that it does not include the worm gear. Was this the case with yours?

Yes, but in my case the worm gear was undamaged.

Quick Reply: Driver Power Seat Issue