Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Door Panel Peeling HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/10, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 05 Mustang's perforated vinyl door panel inserts came off but the upholstery shop told me it is not just an 05 problem. They said they're doing several Mustangs per week and even 09's are having the same problem. I called Ford and they said they didn't have any knowledge about it. Yea, right! Just what I figured they'd say. They also said to save the repair receipt in case there might be a recall on it in the future.

It doesn't matter whether the inserts are vinyl or leather, the inserts have a cheap ***, thin foam backing that disintegrates in excess heat like where I live in Florida. If you try to reglue the inserts without removing the deteriorated foam, the panels may come off again in time. I went ahead and had mine done professionally for $150.00 per side and saved my receipt.
Old 8/12/10, 08:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by fast frankie
Both of mine came off so I went to a trim shop and they did it for me while I waited. $150 total. The guy told me that YOU MUST CLEAN OFF THE BACK OF THE LEATHER AND THE DOOR WITH A FIRM BRUSH, then it will hold. It is leather (if you got the leather trim package) just cheap ****.
Mine's a 2006 vert. Driver's door red insert just peeled off this week.

Same info here. My upholstery guy says it isn't the adhesive, it is the foam that drys out and fails over time. You end up with the dry-rotted foam attached to both the red insert and the panel. It has to be cleaned off both for a correct re-install. My guy is doing my driver door for $45. I've known him a long time - he does good work.

He has seen this on a lot of Mustang verts, with their greater exposure to heat and humid/dry cycles.

He also says the dealer installed my replacement top crooked. I had mine replaced on a TSB at just under 36k miles. He says that is the issue with clearance on the drivers side, and I need to take it back to them and compel them to make it right.
Old 8/19/10, 09:39 AM

I have an '06 and when I got home from work a couple of days ago I found that my door panel has started to peel. I guess 4.5 years in the Texas heat has finally taken it's toll. I better start looking for some adhesive.
Old 8/30/10, 07:35 PM

Same problem...

I have a 2006 Mustang with the interior upgrade package, and the "padded" middle section of my passenger door is lifting around the edges and I am nervous to try and fix it myself, mainly because I am worried about the glue seeping through the vinyl overlay. Has this been an issue for anyone? And how long does it need to set after gluing? I'm curious if because it is so hot here (I live in Mississippi), if it would be best to do this at night, so it has several hours to sit without it being scorching hot outside. Any ideas?
Old 9/3/10, 01:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
The problem does not appear to be the adhesive. It's the very thin foam padding that dry rots and fails. That takes the adhesive with it. Just adding more adhesive will not address the problem because the foam will continue to crumble.

The panel needs to be removed, the dry-rotted foam brushed off both the panel and the door area, THEN apply adhesive to re-attach the panel to the door.

It will no longer have that very subtle padded feel. But it remains attached, so I don't care!

My hands are busy with the wheel and the shifter anyway.
Old 9/4/10, 11:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I found an auto upholstery shop in my neighborhood that will redo both of my doors for $100 with new material (that I'm supplying). They'll remove all traces of the adhesive/foam and apply new vinyl. I have a yard of the crimson aberdeen that Ford uses and it will more than cover both doors. A "yard" of the stuff is actually 37x54 or something like that.
Old 2/21/11, 04:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to me this weekend.

I followed this tutorial and it worked perfectly.

The only problem is my car smells a bit like a model airplane factory hehe.

But if you follow these instructions the fix will cost you about $14 total and you'll be ready to go within an hour at the most!

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...096#post581096

Oh wait, just saw where other folks did it and it didn't last.... doh!

EDIT AGAIN

I saw that the person who did this did NOT use the recommended adhesive, the recommended adhesive is holding up

Last edited by Imatk; 2/21/11 at 05:02 PM.
Old 9/15/11, 04:03 PM

Florida Fryer

I got in my 2007 GT (Vista Blue, black leather interior) and my driver's side panel was peeling. Thank goodness for this forum, if not for the repair tips at least for a place to share the pain/dissapointment.
Old 9/22/11, 10:38 AM

My stang have that problem too... it cost about 50 bucks to repair it...(one door) im from a city in Mexico that the average temp is 39co .... yeah red carmesi inside too.
Old 9/27/11, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Yep you have to get the fuzz off first- same thing is happening with mine. A really good adhesive is Liquid Nails- it's made to be used on upholstery and porous surfaces. I also used a scraper (like the kind you would use if you were applying large vinyl decals) and after I had glued everything up, I used the edge of it to tuck the leather back into the groove around the door. I did it slowly, using firm pressure and went all the way around the insert area. Also I did it several times- waiting 5-10 min in between passes for the glue to set up a little more.
Old 9/27/11, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Can we get a step by step writeup and get it put as a sticky? Seems like there are a lot of questions about this problem
Old 10/18/11, 06:02 PM
Cobra Member

Passenger side on my 05 fell off a couple months ago. It won't be long before the driver side does too (already see some lifted patches). I priced a replacement panel at my local Ford dealer and was quoted over $500 just for the panel (how in the heck can they justify that kind of retail price ... I got a whole Shelby rear bumper cover for a lot less than that.

Last edited by RadBOSS; 10/18/11 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10/18/11, 07:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
Passenger side on my 05 fell off a couple months ago. It won't be long before the driver side does too (already see some lifted patches). I priced a replacement panel at my local Ford dealer and was quoted over $500 just for the panel (how in the heck can they justify that kind of retail price ... I got a whole Shelby rear bumper cover for a lot less than that.
Don't go to a Ford dealer. Find a reputable auto upholstery shop. I did and paid $200 total (I did supply the material though) for completely new front and rear inserts, with silver tinsel piping.
Old 10/18/11, 07:21 PM
Houston xBox Players
Club President

I need to get mine redone also it'll be the 2ed having them done! They just won't stay on
Old 10/18/11, 07:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 05 StefferStang
I need to get mine redone also it'll be the 2ed having them done! They just won't stay on
This **** Texas heat! Mine's finally getting bad enough to need fixing too.
Old 10/18/11, 07:51 PM
Houston xBox Players
Club President

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
This **** Texas heat! Mine's finally getting bad enough to need fixing too.
Ya I'm pretty sure that's what it is too... It sucks
Old 10/18/11, 07:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05 StefferStang

Ya I'm pretty
yes, you are. :very:
Old 10/18/11, 08:23 PM
Houston xBox Players
Club President

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

yes, you are. :very:
You made me blush =*) . Thank you kind sir
Old 10/19/11, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

Meh, noticed mine is starting to do it.
Old 10/19/11, 02:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
First you'll notice a bubble. Then you'll notice that the whole panel is a bubble. THEN you'll notice that the edges are hardly hangin' on, and just wanna rip that ***** off! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Quick Reply: Door Panel Peeling HELP!!!