Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Coolant Geyser out overflow tank cap. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/15, 07:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
So a new thermostat has everything fixed? Good news.
Yeah! Here's hoping it is a long time before anything else happens!
Old 3/13/16, 07:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, it happened yet again today. I am going to call the shop tomorrow. It has been 6 months almost. This is super frustrating.
The following users liked this post:
aishas10 (7/22/16)
Old 7/22/16, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unnoticedtrails, what was the outcome from your latest post?

Long story short, purchased 'Zeus' (06 Mustang) brand-spakin' new off the lot. 2009 kicks off series of domino effects - alternator and battery blow, leaving me stranded on the side of the fwy. Find out water leaks from the front cowls and down the interior passenger area. Getting the alt wet was 'this' issue. Silicon'd the cowls, got new alt & batt.

Next up, water was spewing out coolant reserve cap. Went thru 3 caps and 2 therm and housing changed until someone advised me to seal bottom of cap with electrical tape to keep it more secure. That was 2 years ago.

Jan 2015, now on my 4th alt & batt, get new wiring harness, and new belts. Essentially, 'Check Charging System' was attended to and I was happy as can be.

Feb 2015, A/C doesn't work but I've had it with issues so I don't do anything about it.

3 weeks ago, 'Check Charging System' back on, car dies. Put in 5th alt & batt, replaced therm & housing.

Last week, decide it's too hot and go to local auto store for A/C juice. Still doesn't work...immediately. Later in the week, on a long drive, A/C kicks on and all is good...until temp spikes, car 'bucks', and then smoke. Open up the hood to see, well well well, coolant reserve cap spewing out all over the alt.

I may have missed some steps but at this time, who's counting. Now, 'Zeus' is just sitting.

Last edited by aishas10; 7/22/16 at 01:03 PM.
Old 7/22/16, 01:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
So a new thermostat has everything fixed? Good news.
Actually, no. I had the thermostat replaced (it was sticking), but it also was the coolant overflow tank itself. There was a leak between the cap and the tank. So, I had to have the tank replaced. It cost me $187 including shop labor.

It is several months later and no issues.... so that is good!
Old 7/22/16, 01:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I would get your overflow tank replaced. That's what I had to do. Sorry it took me forever to respond. I hope you can get it resolved. My guess is, with my car it is because I do not have a garage and I am in Colorado where it gets very cold and very hot. The temperature changes probably cracked the overflow tank plastic.

Originally Posted by aishas10
Unnoticedtrails, what was the outcome from your latest post?

Long story short, purchased 'Zeus' (06 Mustang) brand-spakin' new off the lot. 2009 kicks off series of domino effects - alternator and battery blow, leaving me stranded on the side of the fwy. Find out water leaks from the front cowls and down the interior passenger area. Getting the alt wet was 'this' issue. Silicon'd the cowls, got new alt & batt.

Next up, water was spewing out coolant reserve cap. Went thru 3 caps and 2 therm and housing changed until someone advised me to seal bottom of cap with electrical tape to keep it more secure. That was 2 years ago.

Jan 2015, now on my 4th alt & batt, get new wiring harness, and new belts. Essentially, 'Check Charging System' was attended to and I was happy as can be.

Feb 2015, A/C doesn't work but I've had it with issues so I don't do anything about it.

3 weeks ago, 'Check Charging System' back on, car dies. Put in 5th alt & batt, replaced therm & housing.

Last week, decide it's too hot and go to local auto store for A/C juice. Still doesn't work...immediately. Later in the week, on a long drive, A/C kicks on and all is good...until temp spikes, car 'bucks', and then smoke. Open up the hood to see, well well well, coolant reserve cap spewing out all over the alt.

I may have missed some steps but at this time, who's counting. Now, 'Zeus' is just sitting.
The following users liked this post:
aishas10 (7/22/16)
Old 8/3/16, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
I would get your overflow tank replaced. That's what I had to do. Sorry it took me forever to respond. I hope you can get it resolved. My guess is, with my car it is because I do not have a garage and I am in Colorado where it gets very cold and very hot. The temperature changes probably cracked the overflow tank plastic.

I followed your advise and we replaced the tank. We haven't driven it much because now I dread getting on the fwy for fear of overheating or yet again, another alt/batt issue.

But, ****! He's just too sexy to be mad at.

My temperamental Zeus.
Old 8/3/16, 04:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by aishas10
I followed your advise and we replaced the tank. We haven't driven it much because now I dread getting on the fwy for fear of overheating or yet again, another alt/batt issue.

But, ****! He's just too sexy to be mad at.

My temperamental Zeus.
Best of luck! I hope it has been rectified with the tank replacement. My car has not had any issues since that fix back in April. Your car looks great! Makes me miss my Whinnie that was totaled last year. She looked nearly identical to your car.
Old 8/11/16, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Shaking my head...

Just took my Mustang in for the Takata airbag recall fix. The Ford dealer "inspected" the vehicle and said my thermostat housing had a crack in it. I just had the thermostat itself replaced in October 2015. But, I do know due to Ford's cost cutting decision to make the housing itself out of plastic on the Cologne V6s. My car sits outside in the heat/cold in Colorado (no garage).

I bought a gallon of coolant just in case. I have not noticed any leaks, the dealer guy claimed he had to "top off" the coolant.

The only shop I trust around here cannot get me in until August 22, so here's hoping.

I thought I would update members here on this "journey".
Old 10/21/16, 02:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hopefully. my Mustang's coolant leaking issues are solved for a long time. I had a minor leak again the last month due to a cracked thermostat housing. While the dealer might have found it cracked a month ago, it was not leaking until a week ago.

I wish I had the ability, space, and time to fix it myself, but I trust the shop I go to. It is painful to pay so much for it, but it is what it is.

I just wanted to make sure it got replaced before winter here in Colorado.

I only had to replace the cracked one in my now dead 2007 Mustang Whinnie after seven years of ownership. It was unclear if the one in my 2006 Sarah had been replaced. So, ten years on the plastic piece is not too bad.

On a side note, looking back at the repair records from Whinnie last year, I had spent $846 on repairs for the thermostat, housing, alternator, two months before she got totaled by the texting driver, $450 on fender damage repair, two weeks before, and $200 on a new tire and alignment the day before! Totaling $1,496.

Last edited by unnoticedtrails; 10/21/16 at 02:58 PM.
Old 7/17/17, 10:22 AM

Smile 2006 Mustang GT

I had an issue arise with coolant leaking out of the reservoir cap on my 2006 Mustang GT with 18,000 kms on the odometer.
The reservoir was filled to the 1/2 way mark of the cold full range. When I would shut the engine off at normal operating temps the reservoir would start leaking under the cap. I went to my local dealer #DunlopFord and the shop foreman came out and sanded down the top edge of the reservoir fill that the cap screws onto and boom, problem fixed. He said you could see just a little nick at the top where the rubber gasket from the cap was supposed to seal. That has eliminated the puking coolant issue.
Old 7/17/17, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Flyinpil
I had an issue arise with coolant leaking out of the reservoir cap on my 2006 Mustang GT with 18,000 kms on the odometer.
The reservoir was filled to the 1/2 way mark of the cold full range. When I would shut the engine off at normal operating temps the reservoir would start leaking under the cap. I went to my local dealer #DunlopFord and the shop foreman came out and sanded down the top edge of the reservoir fill that the cap screws onto and boom, problem fixed. He said you could see just a little nick at the top where the rubber gasket from the cap was supposed to seal. That has eliminated the puking coolant issue.
Oh yeah, I probably should have looked at that, but I had the tank replaced. It was not too bad cost wise. No issues since. October last year. I do imagine it was probably more of a crack on mine since I my car sits outside in all types of Colorado weather. -15F to 105F (no garage).