Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Check charging system

Old 3/23/10, 03:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't blame GM or Ford they usually don't make alternators its just the crap they buy from Mexico and other countryies, and would never defend GM.
Old 11/4/11, 04:33 PM

hello I am new to the forum and have a 2007 Mustang GT stock with the shaker 1000 system in it. I had a charging system failure. The car died on my wife this week due to the sorry alternator Ford put in the car. I replaced it and the battery is fine, I had it tested and it was ok. I am still getting a Check Charging System Message. I had the "new" alternator tested and it said it was a bad regulator but to my knowledge the voltage regulator is not in the alternator, its computer controlled I take it. Has anyone had an issue like this? I hate to take it to my local Ford Service cause we have not seen eye to eye at all in the past. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Signed FRUSTRATED GTowner
Old 11/7/11, 07:35 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007MustangGT
hello I am new to the forum and have a 2007 Mustang GT stock with the shaker 1000 system in it. I had a charging system failure. The car died on my wife this week due to the sorry alternator Ford put in the car. I replaced it and the battery is fine, I had it tested and it was ok. I am still getting a Check Charging System Message. I had the "new" alternator tested and it said it was a bad regulator but to my knowledge the voltage regulator is not in the alternator, its computer controlled I take it. Has anyone had an issue like this? I hate to take it to my local Ford Service cause we have not seen eye to eye at all in the past. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Signed FRUSTRATED GTowner
heres a newer regulator/brush set, but it doesnt say mustang- suggest contacting them and see if they can get you the parts. I fixed the starter on our windstar for like 8 bucks with some new ford repair parts off ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-R...ht_2137wt_1037

edit- heres another source...need to figure out what alternator we have again...
http://alternatorstarterparts.com/in...wCat&catId=651

from what I'm reading, youre kinda right about computer controlled- the vehicle PowertrainControlModule outputs a PulseWidthModulated signal, but it still goes into a regulator in the alternator to control the field - it dont regulate to a set voltage like in the old days, now it just follows whatever the PCM tells it.
Dont have a wet floor on the passenger side do you? a lot of weird electrical gremlins seem to stem from a wet SmartJunctionBox due to plugged cowl drains...I would think the PWM line would likely be a direct wire from the underhood PCM, but still, thought I'd ask...

edit again- according to quality power alternators website ( http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/page...el_Results.php ), 2007 mustang gt uses a '6g, large frame, v mount'

Some 6g regulators are on ebay( for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/F601HD-Brush...#ht_833wt_1270 ) , but not with the part numbers listed below, found on yet another page :

FORD Car & Lt Trk

2005 MUSTANG 4.6L V8, All
2006 MUSTANG 4.6L V8, All
2007 MUSTANG 4.6L V8, All
2008 MUSTANG 4.6L V8, All
2009 MUSTANG 4.6L V8, Manual Transmission

Replaces:

FORD
6R3Z-10346-DA,
7R3T-10300-DA, 7R3Z-10346-B,
4R3T-10300-BB, 4R3Z-10346-BB

FORD ENGINEERING
7R3T-DA, 4R3T-BB

MOTORCRAFT
GL-670, GL-920, GL-628

OEM(s): Ford
Alternator Family: Ford 6G
Voltage: 12 Volts
Amps: 135 Amps
Regulator Position: 2:00
Polarity: Negative
Output Stud Dimensions: M6-1.0
Reg. Location: Internal
Fan Location: Internal
Approximate Weight: 15.65 lbs / 7.11 kg

I'll keep digging in my spare time- I'll need one sooner or later too

Last edited by ford4v429; 11/7/11 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 08:02 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007MustangGT
hello I am new to the forum and have a 2007 Mustang GT stock with the shaker 1000 system in it. I had a charging system failure. The car died on my wife this week due to the sorry alternator Ford put in the car. I replaced it and the battery is fine, I had it tested and it was ok. I am still getting a Check Charging System Message. I had the "new" alternator tested and it said it was a bad regulator but to my knowledge the voltage regulator is not in the alternator, its computer controlled I take it.
Hello 2007MustangGT,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer and speak with your Service Manager about this. He/She is in the best position to assist you with this concern. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 11/13/11, 01:51 PM

Thanks alot for the help with this, it has made me want to trade my car for something else since it fried my cd player and i still haven't figured out why i get the silly charging system message... thanks again for the digging and the replies.... taking the car to be looked at tomorrow as bad as I hate to have to pay someone for something that should had been such a simple little fix... silly engineers, hope I don't step on anyones toes with that
Old 11/13/11, 02:17 PM
GT Member

WOW, I guess I'm lucky? I have a 2008 GT with the original battery and alternator. And I'll bet their are lots of GT owners like me. I don't do anything strange, like turn the radio off before shutting down. Sorry to hear some of us with problems.
Old 11/13/11, 04:01 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
WOW, I guess I'm lucky? I have a 2008 GT with the original battery and alternator. And I'll bet their are lots of GT owners like me. I don't do anything strange, like turn the radio off before shutting down. Sorry to hear some of us with problems.
my 06 battery just died this summer, still has the original alternator... I read somewhere the alt got upgraded somewhere along the way- 07 or 08 i think, prior they seemed to have what in my opinion was a pretty high failure rate, as saw quite a few posts on various forums about alternators...usually they are pretty dead reliable these days. I recall hearing insane prices too- like >400 bucks? remember when a rebuilt alt was 20-30 bucks exchange at the local parts store?

battery failures seemed pretty high in all these cars, many posts of 2~3 yr battery failures, read many opinions about heat causing failures(why factory battery has a insulating blanket around it).
Ive had a battery last >8 yrs once in a DD, usually for me its 5 unless the car sat a lot- my lincoln sat too much, ate a battery every 2 yrs...the new schauer battery charger/conditioners sucessfully desulfated a couple that wouldnt take a charge, one kept saying 'bad bat' every day for a week, kept resetting, it did finally desulfate enough to take a charge- still using it a year later. the battery in our 65 is 9 yrs old now, but not fair to count it- only put about 2000 miles on it, and without so much as a clock, there is zero parasitic load...its sat 3 months and started right up, but usually try to run it bi-weekly.

Last edited by ford4v429; 11/13/11 at 04:02 PM.
Old 6/23/14, 09:12 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I am having dead batteries in my 2008 GT/CS. It has a constant 5.07 amp drain with everything off. It sits a lot as it only has 14K miles on it. No issues with either of my other two mustangs (1988 GT and 2012). The GT/CS has the shaker system so I am guessing it is the amp not shutting down. For now I am disconnecting the battery and using a battery tender.