Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Car won't start

Old 7/17/16, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start

So I just bought my 2006 Saleen Mustang about a month ago with 25,000 miles. And this last Wednesday I turned off my car to get in my garage and open the garage door (since I lost my opener), and when I went to turn the car on it wouldn't start. I figured the battery was dead so I tried jumping it and that didn't work. So at this point I have bought and replaced the battery, alternator, and starter. I tried my other key, and made sure the switches for my clutch pedal were operational. The car wont even make a clicking sound like it is going to start. All accessories work on the car including headlights, even A/C. When i turn the key I hear a whirring noise, I see a check engine light, a red battery light, and an icon that look like a car with a lock on it. Does this car have an immobilizer? What should I check next? I really hope it's not the ECU since the car is tuned. Help please.
Old 7/17/16, 11:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
This car has the PATS system, and is the immobilizer. There are three conditions that car/lock symbol shows up:

One: The key is in the ignition, but car is not on. The light will blink every two seconds. If this does not pass, and the light never comes on, then the PATS transceiver around the ignition key is likely bad... or the key is. Replacing the PATS transceiver might fix it... might not, and then you'll be looking into getting a new key and getting it cut and programmed.

Two and Three: The key is in the ignition and the car is turned to 'on'. The PATS should come on and then go off. This is a normal condition and the car will start. If it stays on, or flashes, then the PATS is unhappy. This now requires a dealership trip to get it fixed. (Or a good service shop that can do all the things(tm) that a dealership tech can do regarding this... but I'm saying dealer only, m'self.)

You have unfortunately spent money on a battery, alternator, and starter (not to fuss, all of which are easier tested, even at home, than just swapping them out and hoping) so you're probably pretty not happy about having done those things and getting no results.

Even so... I would enjoin you to not continue this type of path regarding the PATS system. Get the car towed to a Ford Dealership tech, get it fixed right, and bite the bullet called the repair order. It will be cheaper in time, effort and money than continuing down the 'I can fix it' path... and in this case, no, it's not as likely that you can. PATS is not fun if it's not the transceiver... and even then, I ain't gonna be happy replacing that my own self and it not be the thing.

I will say this: There are few things on my car that I consider 'dealer tech only'. This is a big one of them. Anything to do with the PATS (keys too) is going to get my car taken to the dealership.

Hope that helps. Good luck to ya!

Last edited by houtex; 7/17/16 at 11:02 PM.
Old 7/17/16, 11:16 PM

I figured it might be this. It looks like my car is doing scenario 2 and 3. It will Blink when initially turning the key, stop blinking and the battery and engine light stay on, but car never actuallystarts. How much does it usually run to fix this PATS issue?
Old 7/18/16, 12:14 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Might be something as simple as a neutral safety switch. Don't know if you have a manual or automatic but the lack of even a click sounds like it could be.
Old 7/18/16, 12:17 AM

It is a six speed. Where would this be located?
Old 7/18/16, 12:36 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Something's wrong

A 2006 Saleen mustang should be a 5 speed

Someone has put a 6 speed transmission in this car at some point?
Old 7/18/16, 12:37 AM

Derp, sorry yes 5 speed. I'm still on auto pilot from my last car.
Old 7/18/16, 01:57 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The upsetting part is you've bought a battery, alternator, and starter already instead of getting it hooked to a dealership which would have ended up costing you less money in the long run. Get a pro to look at it for you before you go farther into that hole you've already dug. You could manually jump the starter or starter relay with the key on to see if she starts but that won't fix the problem. Just maybe a tow bill. Unless you can troubleshoot the wiring to rule the pats system out, save yourself some heartache and just call a pro.