Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/11, 02:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment question

Issue: My car pulls ever so slightly to the left even after alignment. Given my numbers below, should I go back in for another alignment or should I be looking at something else for the problem? (i.e., should the camber/caster numbers be a little more even between the left and right?)

Alignment history: My car has felt like it's had great alignment from the factory even after 5 years including new tires after 4 (shop verified it didn't need an alignment at the time). Recently it felt like the car started to pull just a little to the left, even when on the right side of a crowned road. i.e., If I let go of the wheel centered in the lane, I'll just touch the center line after about 5-10 seconds or so. So I got it aligned but it still pulls just a hair to the left. What gives?

Here are my alignment numbers:

Front:
Camber: [FrontLeft -0.8] [FrontRight -1.2] (SpecifiedRange -1.5/0.0)
Caster: [FrontLeft 6.9] [FrontRight 7.4] (SpecifiedRange 6.4/7.9)
Toe: [FrontLeft 0.02] [FrontRight 0.06] (SpecifiedRange -0.05/0.15)
SAI: [FrontLeft 8.5] [FrontRight 13.0]
IncludedAngle: [FrontLeft 7.7] [FrontRight 11.8]
CrossCamber: 0.3 (SpecifiedRange -0.8/0.8)
CrossCaster: -0.5 (SpecifiedRange -0.8/0.8)
CrossSAI: -4.5
TotalToe: 0.08 (SpecifiedRange -0.10/0.30)

Rear:
Camber: [ReartLeft 0.1] [RearRight -0.2]
Toe: [RearLeft 0.07] [RearRight -0.17]
CrossCamber: 0.3
TotalToe: -0.11
ThrustAngle: 0.12
Old 4/17/11, 06:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
put a few more pounds of air in the left tire or a few lbs less in the right tire?
Old 4/17/11, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Swap your tires from one side of the car to the other side. See if it pulls the other way now.
Old 4/17/11, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
put a few more pounds of air in the left tire or a few lbs less in the right tire?
Funny, I was wondering last night if that would work. I'll give it a try today to see if it's the simple fix.

Originally Posted by yugoboss
Swap your tires from one side of the car to the other side. See if it pulls the other way now.
Yeah... I want to try this so bad but my tires are directional. I may try it next weekend anyway just to see if it works and then if it does, get all the tires re-mounted.

I read that the left Caster should be more negative that the right but no more than half a degree to account for road crown to the right. Similarly, left camber should be more positive than the right for the same reason. My numbers meet this critiera but even on crowned roads I still pull left just a little. There's only one crowned road near me that's heavily crowned where the car tracks straight. I'm wondering if I just get the guys to even up those numbers a little if that will solve my problem.

I'm also wondering if I'm just being ridiculously **** and should just let it go