Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2008 Mustang Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/15, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does exactly same thing

I was told the same thing and mine is verbatim what you experienced

Originally Posted by dedwar24
Okay, so I have done a little research and found very similar problem to my own, but haven't found a single clear solution. Hoping that maybe if I ask myself, maybe I'll get lucky.

I started experiencing problems with my battery about a year ago (about 2 years after purchasing). It was unfortunate but the testing results proved the battery to be going downhill. I replaced my stock battery with an Optima battery and all was good for about 6-7 months, and then crap began to roll downhill.

I drove about 400 miles in a day (a 200 mile trip that was back to back), which is normally not a big deal. Very next morning, my battery was dead (it wouldn't even turn over). I had to walk to work but had a friend jump my car for me, so all was good at that point. A couple days later (approximately 2 days), I drove 200 miles and noticed that my AC fan wasn't working right... now, this (I don't think) isn't related to the battery drain, but it was the beginning of the end. The cold air was seeping through the vents and I could hear the fan blowing but no air was being pushed through the vents. It was very bizare. When I was parked, I opened the hood to check it out and noticed my AC pipes were frozen SOLID. Almost a half an inch in thickness. I could hear the ice melting and by the time I drove another 40 minutes and parked my car for the night, the ice was melted and everything seemed to work (fan and AC alike).

Next morning, my car wouldn't start. I had scheduled an oil change at Titus Will Ford dealership--I live in another state and have no real good mechanics to take it to yet, so I wanted a dealership to check out the standard checks. I told them about the battery issues and had them check it and test it for me. My battery checked out perfectly fine. It was recommended by the mechanic that I install a new battery--because with Optima's it is hard to tell if there's a bad/dead cell in the battery and that could be the problem. I took that advice--because I need my baby to work!--and went out and bought another battery (about $100, ugh). Everything worked well for about 2 days when suddenly, I went to start my car to return home to Oregon and the car was dead.

I jumped the car and brought it back to the dealership to get it checked out. The dealership ended up holding onto my vehicle for almost an entire business week, unable to precisely locate the problem. In the end, they told me they were positive that my alternator was the draw on my battery (seems ridiculous, but they were convinced). I had them replace the alternator and once again, problem solved for another 2 days... And it was dead again.

I brought it right back to the dealership, infuriated by this point (alternator was $500 + $100 battery = $600 in and no results). The dealership continued a cat and mouse game of 'what in the world is the problem?' and held onto my car for almost two weeks. I finally got an answer that my radio was the draw, that it was shorted and not turning off. Funny thing is, the radio had no issues before I brought it into the dealership and now it's shorted... whatever. If that was the problem, I told them to disconnect the fuse to the radio. I was told that as long as I unplug that fuse every time I'm done using the radio when I drive, my battery won't be drained.

This worked for several weeks. Problem solved...right? About a week ago, I drove my car another 200 miles and it wouldn't start the next morning. Figured it was a lose terminal connection (which, it was loose) and left it at that. However, today I went to my car and it wouldn't start. Completely dead again--won't even turn over. The radio fuse has been unplugged for several days. I went on a fuse hunt today--using a tester--and unplugged one fuse at a time to see which was still drawing on my battery... Found nothing. But there is a draw and I can't figure out what it is or why.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Any suggestions? Ideas? This is driving me crazy.

2008 Ford Mustang > v6, automatic > Shaker 500 Sound system, Pony Package (with all that fun stuff)
Old 11/19/15, 06:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2008 just ate it's 2nd battery. Ford replaced it for me.

Garage queen (6,700 miles) and always with Battery Tender Jr attached while parked. No alarm, no CDs, etc. Started right up every time until it didn't.

No warning, just dead. I do not trust this car.
Old 11/19/15, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2006. It turned out to be the Radio. I read some where that this is an issue with the De player. I pulled the fuse to the radio. left it out for a few hours. Then installed it back and ejected an cd's. From then on I always left the Cd's out till I wanted to play them. Problem never came back. It turns out the CD changer kept turning it self on and you could here it spinning with a CS in. I was going to install a new radio but traded it for a new 2014.
Old 11/19/15, 07:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Annnd - here I am again, three years later. Just replaced battery #5 with battery #6 last month.

At least it made it three years this time.
Old 11/28/15, 07:33 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
mine just sat 3 days and died- but it IS taking a charge as I type... left a CD in, think thats what got it last time too.
this is battery number 4 or 5 now in the 06, always attributed it to letting it sit too long over winter.

Ive been disconnecting the battery from the stored 09, over 2 yrs now its fine- was eating a battery a year the first 4 yrs just sitting there(and never had a CD in it).

these cars seem to have a helluva parasitic battery drain current, even a few days sitting they seem to be down more than other cars ive got. our 65 galaxie can sit (up to 4 months?) and crank for a full minute till it starts up, and that battery is now 13 years old! definitely gonna unhook all the batteries over winter from now on.

edit- looks like battery time, a few hours on the charger, stuck at 65% capacity... starts/runs, but its gonna need a batt...

Last edited by ford4v429; 11/28/15 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11/29/15, 06:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy So weird, So annoying

After all these years, people are still looking for a solid answer.
I have heard about this problem since the 2005 came out.
I have had to jump my friends' cars

Stranger still, I have had 3 of these models and never had the problem.
CDs in,Shaker stereo,all had factory alarms and all sorts stuff on them.
Stored for winter under all sorts of different conditions.
Never disconnected a battery. All stock batteries.
Just started them up every month to charge them.
So hit or miss.

My original battery on my 2006 is still fine.
I bought a new one just because it is 10 years old.
Go figure.

Last edited by karman; 11/29/15 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11/29/15, 08:57 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
mine just sat 3 days and died- but it IS taking a charge as I type... left a CD in, think thats what got it last time too.
this is battery number 4 or 5 now in the 06, always attributed it to letting it sit too long over winter.

Ive been disconnecting the battery from the stored 09, over 2 yrs now its fine- was eating a battery a year the first 4 yrs just sitting there(and never had a CD in it).

these cars seem to have a helluva parasitic battery drain current, even a few days sitting they seem to be down more than other cars ive got. our 65 galaxie can sit (up to 4 months?) and crank for a full minute till it starts up, and that battery is now 13 years old! definitely gonna unhook all the batteries over winter from now on.

edit- looks like battery time, a few hours on the charger, stuck at 65% capacity... starts/runs, but its gonna need a batt...
I always keep a battery tender running during winter storage and also make sure not to activate the incline portion of the active alarm system by not locking the doors with the keyfob whenever the car is in the garage while still in use..

I've also had the car sit for up to 30 days and has started right up with no issues

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/29/15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 3/24/22, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 V6 Shaker Drain

I’m a second gen owner for my 08. I’m currently having issue with battery drain stemming from my shaker. In the last day, I’m receiving an error code on my radio- preventing the stereo from shutting down. Which drains my battery.

Which fuses are the best to pull to kill the radio completely?

Old 3/25/22, 05:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by Jess802
. . . . Which fuses are the best to pull to kill the radio completely?
I didn't read through this thread again, but I'm guessing it's probably up above somewhere -- did you already read through the earlier posts?

The next place i would check, is the owner's manual . . . or perhaps someone who knows off the top of their head, will reply soon.

PS -- welcome to the forum
Old 3/25/22, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bert
I didn't read through this thread again, but I'm guessing it's probably up above somewhere -- did you already read through the earlier posts?

The next place i would check, is the owner's manual . . . or perhaps someone who knows off the top of their head, will reply soon.

PS -- welcome to the forum
Thanks. I did read them thread, several actually- I saw several conflicting pieces and was looking for clarification. The owners manual was lost with the original owner- so I wasn’t able to reference. Really appreciate the feedback (and the welcome), I was able to locate a thread encouraging the pull of 56.
I’ll be replacing the alternator and water pump today. Hoping the alternator replacement will help circumvent future issues.
The following users liked this post:
Bert (3/27/22)
Old 3/25/22, 08:10 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Well maybe this will help...

Here is a link to the paperwork for a 2008 model
https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle...owner-manuals/

and here is a link directly to the PDF version of the 2008 owners manual.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F.../08musog3e.pdf

Found info on the fuses on pages 192-198. Looks like there is at least a couple, one for the head and another for the amp.

Best of luck.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 3/25/22 at 08:12 AM.
Bert (3/27/22)
Old 3/25/22, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Well maybe this will help...

Here is a link to the paperwork for a 2008 model
https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle...owner-manuals/

and here is a link directly to the PDF version of the 2008 owners manual.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F.../08musog3e.pdf

Found info on the fuses on pages 192-198. Looks like there is at least a couple, one for the head and another for the amp.

Best of luck.
Many thanks!
shaneyusa (3/27/22)
Old 7/17/22, 05:33 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
30K on 07 Shelby 6 or 7 Batteries Replaced! When I was Working Ford Dealers I could get it Handled! Kinda on my own Now. Bottom Line I got to drive it at least Monthly or I got to charge it! If you Buy a Motorcraft Battery and the Group 65 Batteries are great BTW, run them in everything, other makes included. The 96R & 40R That fits the SN197 is Crap but I'm not liking the Universal Crap Fit out there!

Anyhoo if they Fail Before 36 Months you get a New One! Tested Tough MAX top of the line! they Have a Cheaper Line Too! 18 Month if Memory Serves! After that they Pro Rate it. What they forget to tell you is when you pay the Pro-Rate the Warranty Starts All Over! Make Sure to Keep your Paperwork and Put it in the Glove Box or Better Yet Make a Copy And Tape it to the Side of the Batter in a ZIPLOCK! That way you have it when you need it!

Bottom Line SN-197-S Eat Batteries! Some Less Some More! add in another Issue and you really got Dead Batteries!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/17/22 at 05:37 PM.