2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Is the Shelby GT worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/07, 08:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the Shelby GT worth it?

ok, i want to start this thread by saying i am a mustang enthusiast, and i like the sgt, but come on.....

a throttle body, tune, gta mufflers, fake scoop, vinyl stripes and a hurst shifter.

they want 45k or more for this? you gotta be kidding me. i talked to a few salesmen, and they just go off on how its a shelby and its limited edition.... blahblahblah.

325hp... wow that'll snap your neck.

im surprised shelby put his name on such a lame attempt at a performance car. come on man, you can do better than that.

now the gt500 is a different story, thats a real shelby, born bred and created with the intent to roast some tires and get stares from everyone you drive by.

it just irratates me shelby would sell out like that. the car is not worth more than 30k. you couldnt talk me into buying one. no way.

well thats my rant. sorry to offend anyone. i do like the car, and it will be worth a ton some day (maybe) but i would not buy one. save up a few more grand and buy the gt500, or if you got it, the KR. thats a shelby.
Old 8/19/07, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not worth the price of admission, especially since you can get the dealer to install the power packs under warranty.
Old 8/19/07, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO the Shelby GT is more of a Shelby than the Shelby GT500. If Shelby hadn't signed off on the GT500 it would have been a Cobra or SVT.

When Shelby first made Shelby's back in the 60's in Southern California he did as he is doing now taking a stock Mustang and modding it with aftermarket parts. He now uses FRPP stuff because of his obvious relationship with Ford.

If you want a high performance Shelby buy a SuperSnake.
Old 8/19/07, 09:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
When Shelby first made Shelby's back in the 60's in Southern California he did as he is doing now taking a stock Mustang and modding it with aftermarket parts. He now uses FRPP stuff because of his obvious relationship with Ford.
I reality the Shelby GT is very close in design and performance gain to the standard GT350 back in the day. That being said... It is way overpriced without the ADM's IMHO. If you are interested in one for near list price I know a dealer who will sell them for MSRP +1000.
Old 8/19/07, 10:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

im not interested. i would only buy one if i had 45k to blow and wanted to let it sit in my garage for 40 years with no miles on it. simply an investment.

i think the gt500 is a better way to go to get real shelby performance. thats what shelby is all about.

i realize in 65 they only added 25 hp or so to the stang, but they removed the rear seat, put on drastic body changes and created a 2 seat performance car. thats way more drastic to the american car enthusiast in 65 than it is now. when all it takes is a cai and tune to match or even beat shelby's performance, i would call it weak.

they are nice cars, but they should have done a little more to the car imo
Old 8/19/07, 10:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All in the eye of the key holder, or was the beholder? Either way, they all are nice cars and this is why we are here. TMS is all about what we own, what we drive, and how we chose to show our style.
Old 8/19/07, 11:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

WOW, that is crazy dealer mark up, my Ford dealer is offering me a white and a black Shelby GT for $32,000 each so 45 is way too much for a car like that
Old 8/19/07, 11:44 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it worth $45K? No way! Why pay that when you get 2007 SGT for mid 30's all day long on ebay and via many salesmen that hang out on the Shelby autos forum.

Is it worth even paying mid 30s? Logically No. It's got about $4K worth of parts and labor. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=63003

Why would you pay $8390 (includes $1000 GGT) for $4000 worth of parts and labor? With the current 0% financing and discounts/rebates on the 2007 Mustang GT, you could get an intercooled Whipple super charger installed and make 150 more hp.

Only one illogical reason: You want one. I'm illogical. I admit it. I decided not to purchase a 2007 SGT because I didn't really care for White or Black. I thought (logic) they were overpriced for what you got, so I ordered a 2008 Mustang GT instead.
Then the Vista Blue 2008 SGT was revealed (love at first sight), and I did a very illogical thing. I cancelled my X-plan priced 2008 Mustang to pay $10000 more for what? 19HP? All I can tell you is that it made me happy.

If paying mid 30s on a SGT seems illogical and doesn't make you happy then don't do it. You'll be miserable.

Plus you can ridicule dumb asses like me who spent too much money for a name and some stripes
Old 8/19/07, 11:51 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
IMO the Shelby GT is more of a Shelby than the Shelby GT500. If Shelby hadn't signed off on the GT500 it would have been a Cobra or SVT.

If you want a high performance Shelby buy a SuperSnake.
the gt500 should have been a SVT cobra....just look at the ford racing parts reference....they refer to it as the "07 svt cobra"

i think they should leave things like the gt500 untouched and let its legacy live on
Old 8/20/07, 01:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh that's nothing at the local Ford dealership where I purchased my '06 last year, they have a Shelby GT on the showroom floor (white with grey stripes) for $58,000 and a Shelby GT500 coupe sitting beside it for $62,000. Both are too rich for my blood, lol.

I believe they have a package deal on both where they would part with them for $105,000 combined. I'm guessing they're hoping for someone with a lot of money who's not too bright to come waltzing into their dealership, lol.
Old 8/20/07, 05:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
All I can tell you is that it made me happy.
Then it was worth every penny. Value is always in the eye of the beholder.
Old 8/20/07, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
Plus you can ridicule dumb asses like me who spent too much money for a name and some stripes
It's not worth it too me... But I wouldn't ridicule you over as long as you know that you are paying for the name and the likelyhood that it will be a very long time if ever to re-coup it as an investment.
That being said... I want one as well. I like the the looks and the addition of the handling package. If I bought one the first thing I would do is get the Steeda intake to go with the CAI and then toss the Hurst for A MGW. If it was black I'd get rid of those ugly wheels. Other than that, I wouldn't change much. Maybe 4:10's and a light weight drive shaft. If I had the money and could find a fully loaded (sans the nav or Shaker 1000) for around 33... I'd get one.
Old 8/20/07, 06:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

As previously stated - If the SGT is what you want, go for it. While it does have some added "goodies" - your basically paying for the name "Shelby". Whats that is worth is entirely an individual decision.
Old 8/20/07, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you havent driven one why talk about something you know nothing about??! Also why pay 45k for something that doesnt cost that much. Leave that to the GT500 ADM's. Do your homework and you can find it for in the 30's as has been stated. And as far as "I wouldnt pay 30 for this" what is your justification for this?? You would pay 26K or more for a loaded Mustang GT but then throw in the Shelby installed parts you only want to pay a small bit more?? Makes no sense. I realize some people just dont see it as bieng worth it and I am biased because I own one but I am just tired of the negative, ignorant, statements that people make about the car.
Old 8/20/07, 08:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n8rfastback
ok, i want to start this thread by saying i am a mustang enthusiast, and i like the sgt, but come on.....

a throttle body, tune, gta mufflers, fake scoop, vinyl stripes and a hurst shifter.

325hp... wow that'll snap your neck.

im surprised shelby put his name on such a lame attempt at a performance car. come on man, you can do better than that.

now the gt500 is a different story, thats a real shelby, born bred and created with the intent to roast some tires and get stares from everyone you drive by.

How soon we forget.

According to "The Mustang" by David Newhardt, a 1964 K-code fastback was tested by "Car and Driver" in the October 1964 issue and the results were 14.0 secs and 100 mph in the quarter mile with a 4.11:1 axle. 0-60 was 5.2 seconds. In the May 1965 issue of "Motor Trend" a GT-350 with a 3.89:1 axle had a 15.7 quarter mile at 91 mph. 0-60 for the GT-350 was 7.0 seconds. The K-code 289 produced 271 hp while the Shelby massaged version of the same engine was 306 hp. You could have a $2800 K-Code or a $4500 Shelby. You could also get the GT-350 with 4.11:1, 4.30:1 or 4.57:1 gears.

BB
Semper Fi
Old 8/20/07, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm in the car business, and if we only sold cars to people who really needed them, we'd go broke. I submit that 95% of the people on this forum bought a Mustang becaused they wanted one, not because they were seriously hurting for transportation. Cars are an emotional purchase for the most part. We buy what we want more often than we buy what we need.

So, AFblue, you're certainly not in the minority here. Enjoy your Vista Blue car. It looks great!
Old 8/20/07, 10:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want it for the 'Shelby' part of it, then yes. If you want it for the sum of its parts, then no. Adding the same exact parts however, will not make it a Shelby GT.
Old 8/20/07, 12:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

im not trying to offend anyone here. the last thing i want to do is turn people witht the same interests as me, away.

for those of you who bought a sgt, if you are happy with it, good! the bottom line is: if you are happy with the car, who cares what any one else thinks. i paid good for my 05gt, but hey, i really wanted it.

i guess the bottom line is: I dont think for 45k the SGT is worth it, shelby name plate or not. Lower 30's is closer for the value to me. I still think with Shelby's reputation, it should be more of a car than what it is.

If it gets people into the Shelby club for just over 30k and makes them happy, thats great!

sorry if i made anyone upset here.
Old 8/20/07, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Centurion96
How soon we forget.

According to "The Mustang" by David Newhardt, a 1964 K-code fastback was tested by "Car and Driver"
Interesting.... a 1964?

We’re amazed at the misconceptions ahoof about those early classic Mustangs; those classified ads worded "For Sale--1964 Mustang. . ." or enthusiasts boasting about their super-rare ’64-1/2. Truth is, there has never been a ’64 Mustang, ever. And honestly, whom are you kidding? The ’64-1/2 Mustang isn’t any more rare than one of its ’65 counterparts. In fact, there are no ’64-1/2 Mustangs at all; that title was coined by enthusiasts. The ’64-1/2 Mustang is simply an early-production unit without the refinements that came later. And another thing, Ford never built a production ’64-1/2 Mustang fastback.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/thehis.../mustang_1964/
Old 8/20/07, 01:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

there is no such thing as a 64 1/2 mustang. they are all 65's. i will agree that there was an early and late 65 mustang, but no 64 1/2's.

yes, they made changes to the stang so there are 2 types of 65's, early and late.

i would get majorly flamed if i called my dads 08 a 2007 1/2 mustang, cause he bought it in 07.

Quick Reply: Is the Shelby GT worth it?