2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Weird clunk

Old 3/5/07, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird clunk

Has anybody experienced an intermittent loud clunk. It has happen three different times. First time it happened, I parked the car went into a story for 5 minutes when I started the car about 5 second later I heard this loud clunk coming from the front end of the car. I got out of the car to check on it because it sounded like someone threw a rock at the sheetmetal or similar. I coudn't find anything wrong so I forgot about it. Then there was a second time in my garage after starting, but still nothing visible. The third time it happend I was wearing thin sandals and I felt the clunk through the floor board on my left foot, left of the brake pedal. I jacked up the car and still found nothing wrong.

Anyone else experienced something similar? I've had the car since Novemeber and it's happened three times.
Old 3/5/07, 07:35 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I've have the samething happen on my Ford pick up truck. It's like a muffal cluck in the front of the dash. Found out its the A/C opening and shuting vents. Try turning off the A/C before shutting down and listen, it sure not happen. Then leave the A/C on and shut down and restart. You will probaly hear it again. This might be your problem or it might not, just some helpful hints.
Old 3/5/07, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dly
I've have the samething happen on my Ford pick up truck. It's like a muffal cluck in the front of the dash. Found out its the A/C opening and shuting vents. Try turning off the A/C before shutting down and listen, it sure not happen. Then leave the A/C on and shut down and restart. You will probaly hear it again. This might be your problem or it might not, just some helpful hints.
The clunk is very loud and coming from the outside of the cabin. I have tried to reproduce it with no luck...it just happens when it happens. Last time I felt it resonate through the floor board, but can't figure out what in the world is causing it. It kinda feels like when you leave the parking brake on and the car sits for a long time...some cars have the pads stick and when you move the car it clunks...well, it's kind of like that but in the front and it's not the brakes. Very strange.
Old 3/5/07, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to say the e brake cable was freezing, but then I realized where you live. Might be sticking somehow though
Old 3/5/07, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I've heard the same thing on my every now and then. I've yet to figure out what is causing it.
Old 3/5/07, 09:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
yup somewhere under the hood drivers side , I have to let my son start it up for me to see where BUT he may just drive off ? almost everytime I start it up now !
Old 3/6/07, 05:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
yup somewhere under the hood drivers side , I have to let my son start it up for me to see where BUT he may just drive off ? almost everytime I start it up now !
Well, it makes me feel better that someone else is having the same issue. At least I'm not imagining it. Please keep me posted on any findings.
Old 3/6/07, 09:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

I hope we can try later so I know what to or how to state my concern
I didnt here just now but I think it could be the master cylinder maybe even related to as why the brake fluid wants to leak out of its container ?
Old 3/22/07, 11:36 AM
HNT

Here is a link to a Ford Mustang recall related to the noise -

http://www.automotive.com/2005/49/fo...lls/22613.html
Old 3/22/07, 12:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HNT
Here is a link to a Ford Mustang recall related to the noise -

http://www.automotive.com/2005/49/fo...lls/22613.html
No, that's a different problem all together.
Old 3/23/07, 10:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

It one of those take in thing sorry we don't here it Jack, so every time my son is with we try Nothing , so when I'm alone ker Klunk drivers side I think like maybe an air flap in the AC unit ? of the master cylinder ?
Old 10/16/07, 03:50 AM

How mine Clunks - every time

All, I have the "pop" in the front of my car I think we're talking about. Here's how I get mine to repeat itself.
1) jack up the car on the left-front corner (jack just behind the wheel)
2) let the car back down
3) jack up the car on the right-rear corner
I'll make a good "pop" every time! and it's the sound I hear on hard right corners. I've slid under the car to try and find where the noise is coming from, and it doesn't appear to be from the suspension. Unibody cars can have a sheet metal panel "pop" when it is stressed, and that's my guess now. I actually have a video with sound of this problem, since it's so easy to repeat. I'll sort out how to post it (it's a 9Gig movie).

Anyhow,
Jim
Old 10/25/07, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by justjim_pia
All, I have the "pop" in the front of my car I think we're talking about. Here's how I get mine to repeat itself.
1) jack up the car on the left-front corner (jack just behind the wheel)
2) let the car back down
3) jack up the car on the right-rear corner
I'll make a good "pop" every time! and it's the sound I hear on hard right corners. I've slid under the car to try and find where the noise is coming from, and it doesn't appear to be from the suspension. Unibody cars can have a sheet metal panel "pop" when it is stressed, and that's my guess now. I actually have a video with sound of this problem, since it's so easy to repeat. I'll sort out how to post it (it's a 9Gig movie).

Anyhow,
Jim
Makes sense. I haven't heard mine in a long while. Maybe the sheetmetal finally settled

Here is a list of problems I've had with my pony. I still love the heck out of it though:

1. Weird clunk aforementioned
2. Clunk in front end while hitting bump or crevice on road
3. Clunk in the Driveshaft or trannie, sometimes when put in gear, and sometimes when it downshifts from second to first (auto)
4. Problems with Hood Scoop lifting...not fitting flush
5. Front bumper cover in the bottom part, coming loose underneath
6. Sometimes, the driver's window makes clunk when rolled down
7. The coloring on the sheetmetal is not the same shade as the plastic covers, it appears yellowish in color

Any others?
Old 10/26/07, 10:08 AM

It's amazing that I have seen or spoken to at least 25 people that have the front end clunk and Ford continues to ignore everybody. I reported this on day one of receiving the car and have gone to the 3rd highest level and they have all been trained to give the same answer:
(It's the natural characteristic of the Mustang!!) what BS!!

Like you I really like the car and continue to live with it but do find myself not driving the car as much as I would like because of the clunking. I'll probabably keep this car for many years but have convinced myself I will not purchase another Ford Product in the years to come. I will also continue to let everyone know when I can about the way Ford contiues to ignore problems from new car buyers.
Old 10/26/07, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I get a loud clunk in the left rear every time I go over a bumpy road it seems. Sounds like the suspension though...
Old 10/26/07, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

I have heard this too. Can't put finger on it.

Found this TSB on another site, Could it be?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tsb07-18-02[1].pdf (47.0 KB, 265 views)
Old 10/26/07, 03:48 PM

New Stang

Hi Folks,
Just Got A New 08 Gt 5 Speed Vapor Silver As A Life Long Mopar Guy With 2 Stunning Mopars One A 66 Hemi Belvedere With 700 Hp

I Just Love This Stang Have Allready Put 295/45/-18's On It And Ordred A Host Of Bolt Ons

This Thing Is A Blast To Drive!

Thanks Looking Forwar To Having Fun On The Local Cruse Nights
Thx Racehemi Mark
Old 10/27/07, 06:20 AM

RunningWild:

Thanks for the TSB on the front end noise. This is what I have been waiting on. SO much for my local dealer keeping an eye out for me. Now I can take this to him and show him how to fix my problem and let him know how pleased I am on him trying to take care of his customer!!

Thanks Again!
Old 10/27/07, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6

Holy crap!!! (Can I say crap here??)
Thats what I have!! I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the control arm, yet I still have the squeak/grinding noise. Grrr...
I cant take her back in til next Thursday (ill be out of town) but man thats why I love these boards. Friends helping friends. Thanks!!!
Old 10/29/07, 06:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6

Holy Smokes Batman! That is the other clunk I get when going over bumps. I took my pony in when it had 3k miles for its firts service and told the service manager about the clunk...he said it was normal, just like he said that the good scoop lifting was normal, just like he said the engine ticking at idle was normal. Well, finally the great Ford engineers figured it out. One down, a few more to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird clunk