2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Best tire rotation?

Old 10/21/09, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best tire rotation?

I have an 08 with 20K and I have not yet rotated my tires. My mistake I know, but I was wondering the best pattern to use. I have heard that it can make a difference. Any ideas?
Old 10/21/09, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's in the owners manual.
Old 10/21/09, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is only 1 pattern for radial tires,front to back and back to front.
Old 10/22/09, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool "Totally Agree"

Originally Posted by tacbear
Totally agree with this statement! We do this at the end of every Fall. When prepping the Stang for it's winter storage. Plus clean and polish the Fanblades inside and out. Also scrub and Armor-All the BFG's both front and back before reinstalling them. Finally we air everything up to 45 PSI before placing it all on jackstands. CalStang.. I know, I slightly over reached the question.
Old 10/22/09, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CalStang'07
Totally agree with this statement! We do this at the end of every Fall. When prepping the Stang for it's winter storage. Plus clean and polish the Fanblades inside and out. Also scrub and Armor-All the BFG's both front and back before reinstalling them. Finally we air everything up to 45 PSI before placing it all on jackstands. CalStang.. I know, I slightly over reached the question.
DANG! I'm glad I can drive mine all year!
Old 10/22/09, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool

DANG! I'm glad I can drive mine all year!
Happy for all you warm weather folks!! I used to live in So Cal for a while, so I understand that! But on the other side of it. We have a riot in the big F-150 4X4 blasting along through the winter. And every year it is always a new Mustang rush when the Spring meltdown is done here! CalStang
Old 10/22/09, 03:47 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CalStang'07
Don't use armor-all...
Old 10/22/09, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Don't use armor-all...

Don't give credibility to Blue Notch.
Old 10/22/09, 11:18 PM

https://themustangsource.com/showthr...or#post5507649

Last edited by Blue Notch; 10/22/09 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10/23/09, 09:16 AM

THanks for the infor. Front to back and vice versa is what I will do. My daughter has an 06 with 48K and never once rotated. She had cord showing on the fronts and just replaced her tires this week. I kick myself for not staying on top of this for her. (purchased used at 12K) I must make the time to do this maintenance on our stangs. A healthy pony will take you anywhere you want to go. I do enjoy driving mine throughout the year. Although the wet winter months do take a toll on the exterior. Keeping up with the road grime can be a chore. Rock chips and other flying road hazards make me nervous every trip to town.
As for the tire maintenance, I use Mequiar's tire care products. I can adjust the spray pattern and it looks good for a long time. Anyone have any bad experiences using this? I have heard Armor All brand is not preferred by the experts.

Thanks
Old 10/23/09, 01:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Rule of thumb;

Rotate every other oil change. Directional tires go front to back; unidirectional tires rotate in the traditional pattern. For tire shine, use a quality product made for tires, you'll avoid "browning". I've found Armour-all ok for interior plastic, but not much else automotive.

Last edited by WaltM; 10/23/09 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10/23/09, 03:53 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
For directional tires that's true (obviously), but on a unidirectional tire it can lead to an irreverssible wear pattern.

Ultimately its best to follow the vehicle manufacturers suggestion, in lieu of that, the typical pattern for a unidirectional tire in a RWD application is for the front two tires to be crossed to the rear and the rear two tires to go straight up. FWD applications tend to go in the reverse order (two front straight back and rear crossed to the front). AWD/4WD applications can get kinda screwy depending on the way the system functions.

And to further muddy the waters, sometimes its nessecary to just "X" the **** things depending on how they are wearing irregardless of the proper pattern pursuant to the tread design of the tire.
Old 10/23/09, 03:56 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by frank s
?

Standard Armor-All will void a tire warranty pretty quick, although I do beleive Armor-All has something specifically formulated for tires.
Old 10/23/09, 06:46 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by frank s
Just curious as to why you say this?

I've known him here for 2 years and have never known him to lie or to ever give an opinion on something he didn't know anything about.

Personally I think your credibility is questionable unless you back up your statement sir.

svoPaul has taught us all about the troubles with using armor all. And he is extremely knowledgeable about the matter to say the least. Nathan was just trying to help someone out about the ill effects of Armor All usage on tires and really on any part of the car.
Old 10/24/09, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool Interiors No: "But Great For All Rubber Items"

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Don't use armor-all...
We have used Armor-All Protectant on the real rubber surfaces only now for over twenty years! We use only Lexol products on the leather areas inside the GT/CS interior. There will be no browning on the tire faces, if you properly clean them first with a good Comet type sink cleanser. This browning effect is actually the dirt trapped on the rubber surface of the tires. Lastly. You just dry wipe the tire faces and they will look like they just came off of the tire rack for years!

Armor-All has a UV blocker that prevents dry rot cracking and keeps the rubber soft as new. We have a low miles street rod cruiser here in the shop that has 15 year old BFG's on it. And those tires and the raised white letters still look brand new! Great for showing off at the car shows etc!!

IMO: If Armor-All is used properly on the tires and the engine compartment items, it keeps everything looking new and "Very Cherry"! CalStang
Old 10/24/09, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Just curious as to why you say this?
(Sorry to be so slow in replying; Mr "404 not found" stepped in last night when I hit the "post" button.)

Blue Notch posted an admonition without any support. I replied in kind. Both of equal, unsupported value, true.

Now I see he has posted a link to a thread with numerous testimonials, many of which do not agree with my experience over a period of forty years. Better -- testimony is evidence, after all -- but not convincing.

My testimony: I have used ArmorAll on rubber and vinyl surfaces for many years, with no ill effects, other than a slippery garage floor and a less-than-pleasing aroma. My TR7 vinyl convertible top (with vinyl rear windows) was like new when I sold the car after ten years of treatment according to the instructions: Spray liberally, wait 12 hours or overnight, wipe thoroughly.

I have within the past year or two started using 303 Protectant on vinyl.

I see an assertion that using Standard ArmorAll on tires will void a warranty. Where is the backup for that, please?
Old 10/24/09, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

My reading on the Tire Rack site tells me the "browning effect" is inevitable over time, as the brown comes from within the rubber, resins "boiling" to the surface as a result of sidewall flex. That's the way I remember it, anyway.
Old 10/24/09, 12:24 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
My own personal experience over the last 21 years with Armor All has been love/hate. In the beginning I loved it, but when I discovered the better products I realized it was trying to be too many things in one bottle and Armor All by my experience, when examining each of its individual uses, can always be surpassed by another product. Now you may have to buy 4 bottles of spray like the Lexol and the 303 and some of the no sling tire shine products, but they are better. The residue that Armor All leaves on paint finishes is enough to keep me from using it anywhere near paint or especially on tires. So I've used it for 21 years. I have 3 bottles of the stuff in the garage, but I don't use them because there's always something better.

BTW Nathan said "don't use Armor All" or something to that effect, and you said "don't give credibility to Blue Notch".

Now if you had said don't give him credibility without any proof or a testimonial I could see that, but to me it just sounded like a something of a personal attack. Again on the internet you can't read intent. Especially from only a few word statement.
Old 10/24/09, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

BTW Nathan said "don't use Armor All" or something to that effect, and you said "don't give credibility to Blue Notch".

Now if you had said don't give him credibility without any proof or a testimonial I could see that, but to me it just sounded like a something of a personal attack. Again on the internet you can't read intent. Especially from only a few word statement.
Now, if he had said don't use Armor All because I believe according to testimony it is bad for your possessions, I could see that, but to me it sounded like he had just come down from the mountain and was reading off a tablet, it just sounded like gahd speaking.

Don't drink water.

You may have the last word.
Old 10/24/09, 03:23 PM

Sorry for breathing. I'll keep my mouth shut from now on. There is such a thing as google you know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best tire rotation?