Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Workaround for memory seats?

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/12, 10:16 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Workaround for memory seats?

Has anyone found any workaround for the lack of memory seats in the Mustang?
This is my pet peeve. I absolutely loathe when car wash people or valets casually adjust my seat only to move the car a few feet.
Just came back from the car wash -- I carry a little card in my car that says "do not move the seat" and always display it when I have to leave the keys to someone else. I also taped down the seat controls (still usable but makes you think). I also asked the guy let me stay in the car because I don't want you to move it. He swore they would not, and he even put a post-it note on the windshield that says this in spanish.
OF COURSE the little d**khead who pulls the car out of the wash adjusted EVERYTHING, from steering wheel to backrest. Dude, WTF? Even the steering wheel?? You really had to?? The place was too busy (it's a saturday) to go back and make a scene, plus I'm not sure how much sympathy I would really get.
To me, a car is not only an image of my personality but also becomes a part of my body. I care about little details. Now it feels like I got another car. It's not the car I had and loved. It's so unfortunate that Ford doesn't offer memory seats (and telescoping steering wheel but that's a different story).

So my question is, has anyone found any aftermarket solution to either do full seat memory, or any other workaround to measure/quantify the exact position?
Is there an easy way to pull the driver's seat control fuse, or even add a switch to it? Any solution is better than no solution!
Old 8/4/12, 10:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The backrest and steering are manual so memory would only do up and down and forward and back...

I don't use car washes......very much.

Not really a big deal because I can get my seat back where I had it with no issue.
Old 8/4/12, 11:07 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a BIG dobie and leave him in the car at the car wash and train him to attack anyone who touches the adjustments...
Old 8/4/12, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, it sounds like you're being a bit over dramatic. He moved your seat, move it back. Get on with life

There are far worse things in life, and far worse things they could do to your car.
Old 8/4/12, 12:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26
Honestly, it sounds like you're being a bit over dramatic. He moved your seat, move it back. Get on with life

There are far worse things in life, and far worse things they could do to your car.

Yes, there are worse things that could happen. The Wash Tub Car Wash in San Antonio, TX totaled out my 2004 Mach 1. Black on black. Darn it, I loved that car. The kid who crashed into said "My foot slipped" and smiled.

btw: Notice the big Lexus SUV that killed her. Respectfully, Thank your lucky stars and consider washing it yourself.
Attached Images   
Old 8/4/12, 12:27 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like you OP is being a drama queen. just wash it yourself. it turns out better.

Last edited by Flagstang; 8/4/12 at 01:08 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 01:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
sounds like you OP is being a drama queen. dont like wash ur own **** car dude.
Whoa dude. Easy.
I was asking a technical question and explained why it was so important to me. Everybody has their own pet peeve, like some people don't like when they see swirl marks on their black car and so on. I'm sure there are things in your life that bother you and nobody else. If my post doesn't concern you, just ignore it.
Old 8/4/12, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm with the OP. Very little irritates me more than someone messing with the seat to drive into the oil-change bay and back out. Memory seats are the bomb...
Old 8/4/12, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Grow up. Not everyones your height.
Old 8/4/12, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Think of this....if the guy driving your car is taller than you.....he may not be able to get in, let alone move the car safely.

When my wife drives, I have to move the seat down and back before I even sit down.....I cannot get in the car. Same with her....if she had to drive it with the seat in my position, she could not do it safely at all.

Yes, memory seats are great but if you do not want anyone moving your seat to perform some service, you may expect to see damage based on poor driver position for the size of the person vs you...the owner.

I know you may think they can fit and drive.....but try it on a friends car who is a significant size difference from you......
Old 8/4/12, 04:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
if the guy driving your car is taller than you.....he may not be able to get in, let alone move the car safely.
True story - my friend wanted to show off his newly purchased Mustang. He handed me the keys to take it for a spin. Like the OP, I really like having my seat, steering wheel, and mirrors dialed in just right. So I don't change these settings on other people's cars unless essential for safety. I tried to shimmy my 5'6" into the driver's seat and wrenched my knee. So much for the test drive.
Old 8/4/12, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't have a problem with the very short guy or very tall guy or very fat guy needing to move it... it's the average guy my size that moves it all the way back and reclines the seat gangsta style. And then doesn't clean up the grease marks.
Old 8/4/12, 06:06 PM

OP, I feel similar to a degree. I always stress to people to not adjust my seat because, like you, sometimes it feels like a completely different car afterwards and it bugs me a lot.

What I do now is just kind of memorize how many "clicks" the angle is from a 90-degree position and go from there. For seat position, same thing.. I know how many clicks it is from the farthest back.
Old 8/4/12, 07:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Yes, there are worse things that could happen. The Wash Tub Car Wash in San Antonio, TX totaled out my 2004 Mach 1. Black on black. Darn it, I loved that car. The kid who crashed into said "My foot slipped" and smiled.

btw: Notice the big Lexus SUV that killed her. Respectfully, Thank your lucky stars and consider washing it yourself.
If I were you I'd end up going to jail over that.
Old 8/4/12, 09:56 PM
GT Member

I want the feature too. Because I am short, I have to sit quite forward. But when I get out of the car, I want move the seat back. If they are memory seat, it would be easy and sweet.
Old 8/4/12, 10:56 PM
Cobra Member

There's your problem, never let anyone wash your car. Save the money and invest in some cleaning tools and do it yourself. Your paint will thank you.
Old 8/4/12, 11:06 PM
GT Member

Ever thought that maybe the person adjusting your seat did so that he can comfortably manuever the car in a safe manner. Whenever i let my friends drive my car i always insist first on adjusting the seat to their liking so that they can reach the pedals or see over the hood and please adjust the mirrors too. By all means adjust everything to make your driving experience as comfortable and as safe for you and the car.

And i wont let anyone wash my car. heck i'll skip valet and park it myself.
Old 8/4/12, 11:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Now I remember why I NEVER let anyone else drive my car. The only exception being Ford mechanics.

Somehow I even managed to marry a woman who understands why I will not use valet parking or pay others to wash my car. She even bought me a dual action buffer for a birthday present. I really love that woman.
Old 8/5/12, 03:14 PM
GT Member

Typical of this community - OP asks for information on memory seats and the thread devolves into personal attacks.

That said, doesn't look like there is a kit to adapt the stock seats. Plenty of options if you want to switch to other seats - but expensive.
Old 8/5/12, 03:38 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaromeo
I want the feature too. Because I am short, I have to sit quite forward. But when I get out of the car, I want move the seat back. If they are memory seat, it would be easy and sweet.
I move my seat too. As a memory I remember where my right knee comes against the (unpadded) console.

Quick Reply: Workaround for memory seats?